Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 11, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Hiya

I very much think it depends on the child and whats best form your family. At the end of the day you've probably paid a small fortune for your holiday and want it to be trip of a lifetime for DS and won't want him to have memories tainted by being miserable dragged round shops or parks in the heat etc. We're taking buggy for dd (4) and although she's point blank refusing to sit in it just now (not for out and about just to try for size) I dare say she'll be first in it when the wee leggies start aching. I'm not planning on taking it everyday as we also have DS who will be 1, but it will be handy for days when we know we'll be out for hours... plus the baskets are sooooooooo handy everyone has different opinions but we probably all base these on our own kids (naturally). I for one would not b able to listen to DD whine (which she does a lot when legs are sore/tired) all day. Horses for courses as they say
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
joshmadty
Imagineer

if you do decide to use one - dont bother with a cheapy one from walmart as it will be too small and wont be strong enough.

i have 3 kids aged 7, 5 and just 4 - our next trip, albeit not to Disney, will be our first without a buggy

before now, we have always taken one, be it a double, single or sit n stand type. our eldest has always wanted to use one as much as the younger ones - but he is very petite and looks alot younger.
while we would not consider taking one just for our eldest - having one was extremely useful for those times when he did want one.

While expensive to hire - maybe it might be worth considering not taking one, and then just renting one if he really struggles while you are there?

another thing is that when you take kids, you really need to go at their pace - and if that means shorter days at the parks and more down time by the pool - then thats what it has to be.

only you know your child - they are all so different.
Old 6 Apr 11, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
americangal
Apprentice Imagineer

You need to do what is going to be best for you and your family.

Personally I think you will be doing the right thing taking one given you want to make the best use of your time there and only have a week.

What time of year are you going?

We went in July 09 and our eldest was 6 1/2. We took a buggy for him and it was a god send. It was very hot and he really needed the rest. It meant we could get around and do what we wanted plus we didn't have a grumpy child.

No don't get me wrong he had been out of a buggy for years in the UK and in places like Legoland in the UK wouldn't need one but the UK parks/days out just don't compare to the size of the parks of Florida plus the heat.

One thing to consider though the cheapy wallmart ones are probably not suitable for a 7 year old. They are small, difficult to push and handle height is low so will be even worse with a 7 year old in.

You will always get those that object on here about buggies but stuff them and do take one if it makes your time more enjoyable.
americangal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Zak's mum
Imagineer

Zak's mum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
We didn't even consider it when we took our 5 yr old, he walked around all parks absolutely fine and just made sure we had enough stops throughout the day.
We were the same on our first visit when youngest DS was 5 - infact he outwalked all of us and never moaned once about the walking - unlike his 16 year old brother Youngest DS was also quite tall for his age and he really wouldn't have been too comfortable in one I don't think.
Old 6 Apr 11, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
femalemidlande
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

if you think it will affect your holiday by not having a puschair get one, disney isnt cheap and you need to make the most of it if it includes a puschair so what... out n about, easy life and mountain buggy all designed for bigger kids...enjoy
femalemidlande is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
chocciethunder
Serious Dibber

Hi - we took my daughter when she was 2 4 & 5 - every time she had a stroller!
When she was 4 we hired them in the parks only - but when she was 5 when bought 2 maclaren strollers for her and her little sister.
Its so hot there and you walk for miles every day, they get worn out very quickly - also, they both crashed out in them in the afternoons - which was great for us cos who wants a tired wingy 5 year old - also you knew exactly where they are !
We so kids a lot older than 7 in the hire ones! so dont worry!
Also, it gives you some where to store your stuff!

Clare

Quality Inn I Drive - 1998
Rosen Centre - 2001

Wyndam Resort - 2002
Cypress Pointe - 2003

Novotel Times Sqaure New York 0ct 2011

Villa on Sanctuary,West Haven Oct 2011
chocciethunder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
chocciethunder
Serious Dibber

:)

Originally Posted by missy E View Post
In my opinion, I think a healthy 7 year old is too old for a stroller in normal circumstances

However

The days are long, late and hot. I would see how he gets on, but if you feel sure he will find very late evenings difficult, then buy a cheap buggy from Wallmart, or look on Ebay for a lightweight 2nd hand one to take with you.

Its also quite a trek to the car parks in some places, and late at night a buggy ride to the car could make the difference between him whinging all the way back or being carried part of the way. Same goes for that early morning jet lagged trek from the airport to your parked car.
I totally agree! my daughter was 5 the last time we went - her face was a picture when we asked her if she would like to use a stroller!
She soon changed her mind after a few hours! so we swang by stroller hire in MK and hire her one - they have shades and everything! she even asked for a pillow! cos it was a magic kingdom stroller it was ok with her!
Hiring a stroller in the parks all the time costs a fortune though - so swing by Walmart for on or bring one from hom and sell it on ebay when you get home.

Clare

Quality Inn I Drive - 1998
Rosen Centre - 2001

Wyndam Resort - 2002
Cypress Pointe - 2003

Novotel Times Sqaure New York 0ct 2011

Villa on Sanctuary,West Haven Oct 2011
chocciethunder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Awaywego
slightly serious Dibber

Every child is different, my daughter is 7 at the moment, she would be horrified to even entertain riding in a buggy, we last went when our DS was 5, DD 4, our son did'nt have a buggy then, we just rested when they need a break!

Edited at 08:55 PM.
Awaywego is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmagoo
Imagineer

When we go in October our children will be 6 and 4 and i wouldnt dream of NOT taking a pushchair. Its more for my sanity rather than anything else. I know its a family holiday but its our holiday too and i just feel the pushchair gives us the option of staying out later (they both fell asleep in it this year in the evenings) It also provides a shaded place in parks such as AK which doesnt have much shade, i place to sit and eat ice cream, have drinks etc.

I would take it. It will save a lot of issues in my experience
mrsmagoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
If you want to then take one.

Our DD will be 6 this year & although we're hoping she won't use it too much we will still take her pushchair for when she's tired as it's a lot if walking even for adults.
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread