Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Nov 15, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Mia airport

Hi , we are flying into Miami next October and have a car booked and to be picked up from Avis? How straight forward is it? We are gonna book a hotel stay for that night , any tips on the best hotel to book with free parking or not so expensive parking? Hilton sounds good but I won't be needing the airport transfer if I have a car so not sure if there any point booking a hotel near airport! Sorry bit of a ramble I understand in my head what I'm trying to say ha! X
Old 26 Nov 15, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Essie1000
Very Serious Dibber

We are going to be flying into Fort Lauderdale next Oct, we are planning in getting the free shuttle to a hotel and then collecting the car the following morning
Essie1000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Many do the shuttle free so would seem best option.
Old 26 Nov 15, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

We picked up our car from the airport as I wanted to be able to pick up some water (and other drinkies) on the way to the hotel.

You have to go on the monorail to the car hire place - it takes a while and you have to go up in the lift at one point but it's pretty straight forward. When you exit the ramp from the car rentals you are only 1 block from the on ramp to the Dolphin expressway - we stayed at the Hyatt House blue lagoon ( 1st exit ) which I would recommend - a really good free breakfast from 6am (jet lag ) included.

Of course if you pick up your car you could book a hotel at the beach or anywhere you like really. Our flight landed at 5pm (late) and it was almost 7 by the time we were exiting the car park so was glad to just call in at Publix and then dial a pizza at the hotel.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
We picked up our car from the airport as I wanted to be able to pick up some water (and other drinkies) on the way to the hotel.

You have to go on the monorail to the car hire place - it takes a while and you have to go up in the lift at one point but it's pretty straight forward. When you exit the ramp from the car rentals you are only 1 block from the on ramp to the Dolphin expressway - we stayed at the Hyatt House blue lagoon ( 1st exit ) which I would recommend - a really good free breakfast from 6am (jet lag ) included.

Of course if you pick up your car you could book a hotel at the beach or anywhere you like really. Our flight landed at 5pm (late) and it was almost 7 by the time we were exiting the car park so was glad to just call in at Publix and then dial a pizza at the hotel.
Did you have to pay to park the car at that hotel? X
Old 26 Nov 15, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ameliaUK
Imagineer

We are doing the same in october..have booked the miami airport hotel which is in the aorprt and will pick car up in the morning..seems to be plenty places on airport for a bite to eat so we are happy with that..last year we flew into fort lauderdale and waited hours at immigration and we were so tired when we picked the car up we promptly got lost looking for our hotel ..never again !

Jan 2008 Fairfield inn LBV,2009 and 2010 villa at highgate park..October 2014 Florida road trip,October 2016 villa in highgate ...Jan 2018 New York ,Vegas,New orleans
ameliaUK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
If you have a rental I'd opt to stay Southbeach area.

Edited at 06:12 PM.
dismadbrit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
millerj
Helping Minnie

We are also flying into Miami next October but have decided to drive about an hour north before we stop for the night just outside fort Lauderdale the theory being we would have driven for about that time after landing in Orlando anyway.

Booked the courtyard by Marriott free parking but no breakfast as we are planning to use the jet lag and hit the road early next morning up to Disney and will stop on the way

I am just trying to figure out the Avis preferred as believe that means you can go straight to car? Reviews on counter service Avis in Miami are awful.

When are you flying? We go on the 19th
millerj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 15, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Hyatt House is free parking - the rooms are suites so you get a full kitchen and a sofa bed in the main room, then there is a separate king sized bedroom and bathroom.

The breakfast was served on real plates (I'm easily impressed

They have a shuttle to the airport but we were away off to Marco Island the next morning so were happy just to get set off without having to go back to the airport on the shuttle to pick up our car.

Not sure where the hotel shuttles pick up and drop off but you might have quite a walk back to the car rental garage. Make sure you do the straight to garage thing because the queues looked dreadful at the desks.

We have also stayed in the Fort Lauderdale area which is about an hour north but this was when our flight was due in at 2pm. We were on Thomas Cook from Manchester last year which is a later arrival so booked near the airport for that reason

Edited at 08:33 PM. Reason: typo
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 15, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
TinTin
Apprentice Imagineer

We flew into MIA a couple of weeks ago and stayed 1 night at the Element Hotel close to the airport. Took the hotel shuttle and checked in just as it was time for happy hour (free wine, beer and cheese burgers)
The next morning we were dropped off at the car rental and within half an hour were on the road to Naples.