Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Nov 15, 03:06 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

When can I borrow from 2018?

I have a few DVC trips planned over the next three years and I am trying to work out my DVC points. I have only just bought this year so I am very much a novice at this.

Am I right in thinking that I can borrow these for bookings I make next year? ie book trip next year but travel mid 2017

I have another trip Nov 2017 and Oct use year so if I run out of 2018 points I can use 2019 right?

I feel I understand the booking system well but I want to be sure. We are having a break in 2018 and 2019 so I dont mind using my points in advance

Lisa
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 15, 05:06 AM  
Link to this Post
dizneemad
VIP Dibber

For your Nov 17 trip you will only be able to borrow the 2018 points (year in advance) your 2019 points will be out of reach until Nov 2018.
Old 27 Nov 15, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

When is your use year?

And the important date is when you travel not when you book.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 15, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As others have said your ability to borrow will depend on both UY and travel dates.

So for example I have a Sept UY, and my 2017 points would be valid for borrowing for travel between Sept 1st 2016 and Aug 31st 2017, but I couldn't for example use my 2017 points for a trip in June 2016.

Hope that makes sense.

Another piece of advice is be careful about banking your points too soon, once banked into the next UY, they can't be brought back into their original one. I banked some of my Sept 2015 points (well before the banking deadline), as we were certain we were going Oct 16.

Two weeks later plans change and we are going August 16 which meant the banked points cannot be used.
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 15, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Originally Posted by Helenr View Post
As others have said your ability to borrow will depend on both UY and travel dates.

So for example I have a Sept UY, and my 2017 points would be valid for borrowing for travel between Sept 1st 2016 and Aug 31st 2017, but I couldn't for example use my 2017 points for a trip in June 2016.

Hope that makes sense.

Another piece of advice is be careful about banking your points too soon, once banked into the next UY, they can't be brought back into their original one. I banked some of my Sept 2015 points (well before the banking deadline), as we were certain we were going Oct 16.

Two weeks later plans change and we are going August 16 which meant the banked points cannot be used.
Also be careful if borrowing (and thinking of swopping resorts at 7m), if the new resort is less points, then you cannot put the borrowed points have to remain in the UY, you brought them into.

I think there's a sticky at the top of this forum that covers all the nuances of owning DVC and things that if you didn't spend a long time looking into buying in (and kind of bought spur of the moment) you probably don't know (or if you did have probably forgotten - like me).

Just out of curiosity where do you own?
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 15, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Elise79
Imagineer

Mobile

As you have an October use year for a Nov 17 trip you can use:
Banked 2016 points
Current 2017 points
Borrowed 2018 points.
Elise79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 15, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Helenr View Post
Also be careful if borrowing (and thinking of swopping resorts at 7m), if the new resort is less points, then you cannot put the borrowed points have to remain in the UY, you brought them into.

I think there's a sticky at the top of this forum that covers all the nuances of owning DVC and things that if you didn't spend a long time looking into buying in (and kind of bought spur of the moment) you probably don't know (or if you did have probably forgotten - like me).

Just out of curiosity where do you own?
I own at Poly and have an October use year.

I understand how it works, I just couldnt get my math to add up at 2am and I had got it to add up before so thought I was borrowing wrong.

I have just redone it and it works perfectly. Actually have 4 points spare

Edited at 09:25 PM.
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 15, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Assuming you have 150 points

Year 1: Travel Between October 2015 - Sept 2016

Year 2: Travel Between October 2016 - Sept 2017, (Trip 1). Assuming you have no banked points, you can use 150 from Year 2, and borrow upto 150 from Year 3.

Year 3: Travel Between October 2017 - Sept 2018, (Trip 2) You can use any banked points from Year 2, use 150 from Year 3 and borrow upto 150 from Year 4.

year 4: Travel Between October 2018 - Sept 2019

Edited at 09:32 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 15, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
I own at Poly and have an October use year.

I understand how it works, I just couldnt get my math to add up at 2am and I had got it to add up before so thought I was borrowing wrong.

I have just redone it and it works perfectly. Actually have 4 points spare
Good news, wasn't meaning any offence just a pointer for info.
Old 27 Nov 15, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread