Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 31 Aug 12, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Refurbished planes

I often read that people say they are due to fly out on one of the refurbished 747s - can you tell me how you know. We are leaving from Gatwick on Fri 19th OCT 12- VS027 leaving at 11.15 - how can I find out?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 12, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post

You sent really know for sure until you see the plane on the day
Old 31 Aug 12, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I wouldn't worry too much because you can't change whether the plane is refurbished or not and either one will take you there. We travelled back from Florida yesterday and the plane was a nice clean 777, but even though we paid to travel BA premium economy, we drew the short straw because there were 3 infants in front of us that either took it in turn to scream thoughout the flight or they did it in harmony. My point is that I would have rather have been in a non refubished plane and for me and family to have been able to sleep.

On the way out to Florida (also in a nice 777), we gave up watching the back seat TVs because the sound only came out of one headphone speakers (the staff couldn't fix it), which made it uncomfortable watching the TVs after a short time. Again we would have rather been on a non refurbished plane and have been able to enjoy watching the TVs.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 12, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post

We are on the same flight. My assumption is that we will be on a 747, as we have been unable to reserve seats in the PE cabin outbound. The seat guru site shows the flight as a 747 400 series on that date. For our return flight on Sat 3rd Nov we have been able to reserve seats and are on an airbus. I may be wrong but it's all pointing to a 747 outbound I would say. The only certain way to tell is to turn up on the day though. Have a great holiday. See you at the airport
Old 31 Aug 12, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm not really bothered about what plane I am in - I am going to florida after all - I was just interested. Hope to bump in to you Gill at the airport. If I dont - hope you have a great time.
Old 1 Sep 12, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Phantom
Excited about Disney

I fly out on the 30th sept and as long as my tv and audio work I'm not worried really ... A few years back had to suffer the flight with nothing and it was a killer !
Phantom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 12, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Carlmelia
Imagineer

Carlmelia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Wouldn't get too worried another couple of virgin 747's will be refurbished by then so the chances of a non refurb will be lower than now. We flew out yesterday on a non refurb and it was excellent, even though it was on Pretty Woman with the most basic tv system it all worked we had 8 films to choose from plus 2 kids films and few tv channels. Very good food in PE the lasagne is excellent and even though we were lucky and were upstairs in the bubble the economy cabin looked in good shape.

Cabin crew were top notch and the best we've had yet on a virgin flight and our DD was a winner of the onboard colouring competition to top it all off and got a lovely Dispicable Me cuddly.
Carlmelia is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 12, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

You may be able to tell at OLCI if you are on a refurb by the configuration in the bubble - if the config is a combination of PE and economy then that should be a refurb... but, if something happens and they change 747's around you could be on one of the two that may be left for refurb before you fly. I believe they are currently working on numero 4, leaving 3 left to be done. Jakey and Cabbie are great with this kind of stuff and know when one is back and the next one leaves for refit. I believe number 4 should be back very soon meaning 5 will head off to Hong Kong more or less the same day. I believe Virgin are hoping to have all 7 refurbs back, and in service, by November... but the best laid plans 'n all. Virginia Plain is not going to be refurbished and Virgin are taking her out of service - when... well, here's that long piece of string again
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 12, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Had a refurb there and back in August - even so my Partners headset didn't work unless you held the socket with your hand... but overall was nice enough.
Old 1 Sep 12, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tamar
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
In the reburbished 747's is PE still upstairs? Am I right in saying that it's a mix of up and downstairs usually? I can't remember!

Flying PE return in October and would be nice to be in a newer one (for the IFE esp) but would still LOVE to be upstairs! My fav place to be. (Actually would much rather be right at the front in Upper Class but that's not going to happen!)