Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Mar 12, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post

EasyJet and "speedy boarding"?

Hi guys.

We are booked to fly with Easyjet out of Bristol when we fly to Rome in May (school holiday time).

I've never flown with easyjet before but understand that there's no allocated seats and as such its a bit of a free for all on boarding and as such they don't do guaranteed seats etc but do do the "speedy boarding".

They have quoted us £21 total to book speedy boarding, which enables us to board the plane in the first group (ahead of families with under 5's etc) and I am just wondering if it is likely to be worth it . . .to be able to be the first on and to get seats etc I certainly don't want to be split up from my son, but normally dont pay anything for priority boarding unless we've flown premium.

I have booked specific seats when we fly home with Ryan Air from Venice to Bristol specifically so we would have seats together etc but am just wondering what the "easyjet" experience is like and whether it is worth booking this or not.

Any experiences or thoughts?

TIA Karen x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 12, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jo williams
Very Serious Dibber

I always speedy boarding when flying EJ only because I'm a nervous flyer it gives me a little piece of mind I will be sat next to my husband
jo williams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 12, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
flikflak
Imagineer

I wouldnt bother. If there are only 2 of you then you should be able to find seats together.

Just make sure to keep an eye on the screens and get to the gate in good time.

Plus if they use a plane that is parked up away from the gate then all it gets you is on the bus first. Someone who arrived last at the gate could end up first on the plane!

Even if you are last at the gate unless the flight is full you will usually find someone who is travelling on their own who will move for you to sit together.

Get to the gate in good time.
flikflak is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 12, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
NatOwls
Imagineer

I'm not sure if the plane will be full when you go, but our experiences in May 2010 when we flew to Egypt with EJ was chaos !
Thankfully we booked SB and was therefore on the plane in the first group, so picked seats together. We witnessed a shambles however out of the windows as there were families (non SB passengers who couldn't get off the coaches fast enough who were barging past others without a care in the world ! There was one small boy who was being dragged across the tarmac by his eager mother to get on before a big group infront of her !
For the extra few £ I'd go for it ad I'd hate to be caught up in a stampede if your flight is full !
NatOwls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 12, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
It really depends - we use Easyjet a lot and have done SB nearly every time. Only once was it a waste of time and all it meant was that we were first on the transfer bus! Last year, we did SB and there was a transfer bus (at LGW) but this time they stopped everyone from getting off until the Speedy Boarders (located at the front of the bus) were allowed off by opening one set of doors near the driver. Usually, you can pick your seats and avoid the annoying people who sit in the middle seat (of 3) and won't budge. This is usually in the hope that the plane is undersold and means they can spread out. I'm afraid that this really winds me up!
Old 29 Mar 12, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We always fly with EJ to/from DLP and Malta; we usually book SB, just to avoid the mad rush! Apart from the initial madness the flights have always been good
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 12, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Used Easyjet 8 times in the past 6 weeks with work. The plane was full of business flyers so pretty much a full plane every time. Iv never booked Speedy boarding as iv always felt its a waste of money but my opinion changed over the last six weeks. I was given speedy boarding complimentary on one of my trips because I offered to put my hang luggage in the hold as there was too many passengers with hand luggage and not hold luggage and I did enjoy getting on the plane before everything and getting comfortable in my seat before others started boarding but since it is only the two of you, I wouldn't say it's an essential. Aslong as you get to the gate early and in the queue early you should definitely get a seat together.
Old 29 Mar 12, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post

I would recommend booking it because you will also get your own check-in line and the queues in Bristol can be very very long for EasyJet.

... having said that, I would also recommend checking in online before you go to the airport because last time we travelled with EasyJet there was a problem with the plane and 15 passengers were refused boarding of which we were three, we got to the airport early but most people had already checked in online and so got bumped from the plane and had to go the next day.

Sounds like a fantastic holiday you have planned :-).

Regards,
Old 29 Mar 12, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
The Hulk
Imagineer

We use EJ all the time and used to pay for SB every time. However, we now have relaxed a bit (only 3 of us) and have not bothered last few times. My hubby just goes ahead of us two and also boards on back of plane. He always manages every time to get 3 seats together at the back (i prefer to sit there). Most people seem to board at the front for some reason. Maybe try this, but as said above I wouldn't worry as there are only 2 of you it shouldn't be an issue. If you don't get it on the way out but decide you would like it on the way back you can add this on when you check in to return. Hope that helps
The Hulk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 12, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
U should be fine, just don't be last in the queue when boarding

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread