Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Georgemac and Crew – Orlando - Unexpected Oct 2006 Tour

Preamble for our forthcoming trip.

Oct 2005 - our fourth trip to Orlando, our first time in Oct and we loved it. Trip Report Here The weather was great, and the crowds not too bad, although some days still very busy. There were only the 3 of us for that holiday, and the first time we had been away on holiday without our DD aged 17. Our DS is now also 13, so we do not have a lot of holidays left with the kids, and we were keen to return in 2006, but due to my work rota, no chance of getting away in 2006, as I was only home for 2 weeks during the school summer holidays, and Easter/Oct half term holidays do not coincide with my time off.

March 2006 – I have been badgering DW to ask for a weeks unpaid leave in Oct, so we can take DS out of school for a week to coincide with my leave and go back to Florida. I am offshore on the rig, and when I phone home she says her head teacher has OK’d verbally the weeks unpaid leave – I need no more encouragement, our web connection is a bit slow offshore, but that evening I check BA from Aberdeen, TCD and Flyglobespan flights from Glasgow. Flyglobespan Premium Economy is same price as TCD economy, and £1100 cheaper than BA, so tell DW to ask DD if her and her boyfriend want to come. DD is coming, but her BF does not want to come, so the flights are booked that night (before DW can change her mind), we are going in October 2006 for 15 nights, good that I have the option to pick the number of nights with Globespan. When I come home I find that I could have gone with BA from Aberdeen to Miami for around the same price, with the drive to/from Glasgow not much difference, will keep this option in mind for future trips – just shows though Orlando charges are at a premium – how can you fly to Miami for £250 per head less?

April 2006 – get home from offshore, off nightshift and we are going to London for Easter the day after tomorrow. This trip was booked earlier as we thought we would not be having a holiday this year. I should be getting organised for London, but I have the “Florida Fever”. Even although I have been advised not to book our villa until last minute to get a good deal, most of this time at home is spent looking for a villa. We were offered a very good deal on a 5 bed brand new villa at Tuscan Ridge, the owners seemed very nice but it was due to be completed in Aug 2006, so we declined in case of building works.

May 2006 - I was really checking on pool heating temps after our disappointment last year, and a new villa at West Stonebridge on the US27 with spa and free broadband ticked all our boxes, pool heated to 89 degF, very good price so it was booked. Owner seems very nice, only wanted £100 deposit instead of £100 per week, pay balance 6 weeks before departure. I had wanted to try the new Windsor Hills development, but the best villa quote I got was around £1400, townhouses were OK and I would have went for this but was overruled by the rest of the family who wanted our own pool.

June 2006 – had been wondering which ticket options to go for this year, 3 of us still have plenty days left on our non expiry MYW tickets from last year. Had decided we probably would not do MNSSHP again, did not really want to do HHN at Universal after reading about how rowdy some of the crowds were, were definitely doing Busch Gardens again and my favourite Seaworld. The Dibb brought to my attention the Universal Preferred Annual Pass 2 years for 1 offer, so 3 of these bought, will get a normal pass for DD as she will probably not be back with us if we return – hoping we will return within 2 years of activation to get our money’s worth from these – at least we will save on parking. The Dibb also showed me the Seaworld 1 day tickets with 6 days free & 20% discount so 4 of these e-tickets bought. Also saw on the Dibb the Busch Howl O Scream dates were out, so 4 weekend passes which give 4 days unlimited admission to BG and Howl O Scream e-tickets purchased.
Also booked our car with US Rentacar after all the recommendations on the Dibb, requested fast track pick up at Avis at SFB, just hoping this goes OK after some of the horror stories I read on the Dibb after I booked! Went for the intermediate, with free upgrade to full size, £272 for 15 nights, gold insurance.

July 2006 – continue dibbing and finding out more about Orlando. Unusually Globespan have dropped the prices of our flights by £100 each, so the flights must not be selling well for these dates. I could cancel and lose the £300 deposit, rebook and save £100, but I decide not to – my dates are quite fixed so I am just hoping our flight dates remain the same, as Globespan have now added a Belfast stop to the Tuesday flights from November, and started to cancel some Wednesday flights – at least if they cancel or move our flight I may be able to get a full refund and book with someone else, but hoping it does not come to this!

August 2006 – the exchange rate is great, so I but a 7 day no expiration water park fun and more Disney pass for DD from undercovertourist.com for $345 with free delivery to the UK. Will not do many days at Disney so worth taking a chance she will be back at some time in the future and have a pass to use. Also booked overnight accommodation & parking at the Holiday Inn Express at Glasgow Airport. We are all set now, pay the balance on the flights, villa and car – all that is left to do is get some more Travellers Cheques and the Universal Pass for DD. Also got US mapping for our Garmin i3 sat nav so should not get lost again this year. Got a new passport for DW (biometric). I have even drawn up an itinery – highly unusual for me and have posted it on the Dibb!

September 2006
– arrive home for my last 2 week fieldbreak before my final trip to the rig before our holiday. I need to get everything organised before I go away, as if there are any delays getting home from the rig, DW may just have to pick me up at the heliport with everything packed and head off to Glasgow. I have to pack my backpack with all the gadgets myself to make sure it all goes! Also buy the remainder of our travellers cheques at $1.843, and buy a Power Annual Pass for US/IOA for DD as it is $1 cheaper than the 14 day ticket, and we will be there for 15 days – no blackout dates when we are there! DD has passed her driving test so quite a bit of time at home this trip has been spent car and insurance hunting, oh and a wedding and the Ryder Cup was on! Checked our flights again, the PE cabin is full on the way home, so quite happy now that Globespan won’t change the flight dates!

So I think we are all set! Thanks again to all on the Dibb, I have learned so much more than I thought would be possible. Last minute decisions, we will not do a Wishes or Illuminations cruise, DW does not want to do this, we are going back to MNSSHP, and I may even visit HHN but have not consulted the rest of the crew yet! Also minor changes to be made to the itinery, not going to Seaworld Spooktacular as the park is now closing at 8 PM, so will go there on a weekday and hope for smaller crowds.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)

Edited at 03:55 PM.
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 06, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Our Itinery

Tues 17th - Home from the rig with no delays hopefully.

Wed 18th - Travel down to Glasgow after DD finishes work - booked in to the Holiday Inn Express with car parking.

Thurs 19th - Flight Glasgow to Sanford, Globespan PE – Depart 09.30 arrive 13.30. Collect car from Budget – Drive to Villa on US 27- visit Walmart for supplies - see how we feel - may chill at Villa with a takeaway or go for a meal on 192.

Fri 20th - Go to IOA/Universal & activate AP, if we are early will try IOA but US supposed to be the quieter park. Plan to eat at Bahama Breeze

Sat 21st - Shopping – Lazy Day - may pay a quick visit to IOA/US.

Sun 22nd - Universal/IOA

Mon 23rd - Blizzard Beach & if weather OK MNSSHP

Tues 24th - Animal Kingdom & MGM for fantasmic

Wed 25th - Seaworld - change our 1 day pass for the 7 day pass.

Thurs 26th - Busch Gardens for Howl O Scream - not sure if we will have a late start and stay late, or early start and leave around 9 PM.

Fri 27th - Typhoon Lagoon - this was planned for later but BB closes on the 29th so think TL will be very busy after this.

Sat 28th - US/IOA

Sun 29th - Busch Gardens – Howl O Scream - this will probably be a late start and a late ending.

Mon 30th - Long lie, pool etc then last visit to Seaworld.

Tues 31st - IOA/US

Wed 1st - Epcot & MK - Illuminations

Thurs 2nd - May return to Disney if we feel we still have things to see. If not probably IOA/US and last minute shopping.

Fri 3rd - Check out of villa, maybe IOA if the kids want or shopping, flight departs Sanford at 18.30 so will head off for Sanford around 1.30.

If the trip report looks anything like this I will be delighted. Eating will be very unplanned, but hope to do Hard Rock Cafe, Bubba Gubba Shrimp, Sweet Tomatoes, Olive Garden, Bubbalicious Barbecue, and DS insists we do Hooters. Will be using my Garmin Sat Nav so am loading these in my favourites.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 06, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lorrainew3
Excited about Disney

lorrainew3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hope you have a lovely time your itinerary sounds great.We are there at the same time but fly out ten days after you flying Globespan from Glasgow and staying in Holiday Inn express the night before too!
Lorraine
1989 Days inn Lakeside,1991 Days Suites 1996 All Star Movies, 1998 Holiday inn express ,2000 Howard Johnston Plaza, 2002 Best Western Movieland May 2006 Comfort inn Lake Buena Vista Oct 2006 Country inn and suites LBV May 2007 Country inn and suites and Cypress pointe,Oct 2007 Country Inn and suites LBV,May 2008 Country inn and suites.Oct 2008 Cypress pointe.
lorrainew3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 06, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 18
looking good George
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 06, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have a great trip! we got 3 bedroom Townhouse at Regal Palms for £900 from a self Dibber..going 15th till 29th He also has a four bedder aswell..

Kev
kevbrydon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 06, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post

look forward to reading your trip reports busch gardens howlo scream should be great they were setting some of it up when we went i have tried to get debs to let me and her go just for a short break to do halloween but will have to make do with mallorca
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 06, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Mac
Earning More Ears

Have a great trip George, thanks for your help.
Mrs Mac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 06, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post

have a good time .
Old 2 Oct 06, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post

you must visits webbs ice cream parlour go south on us 27 till just before haines city its on the left over 200 flavours and hand made chocolates mmmmmm
Old 2 Oct 06, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds great George. Hope you all have a great time. Might see you there!

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List