Notices

Old 10 May 22, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Thumbs up First family trip to Las Vegas and LA

So I feel like our trip is starting to get real so thought I would start a little pre-trip report for our summer holiday this year. Now, my trip reports are pretty disorganized and haphazard but I fully intend to follow up with a full trip report once it is completed.

I read lots of trip reports previously and have learnt lots of hints and tips from them. I don't expect my trip report to be of much help but may give some views from a 1st timer to this part of the US. I like to do one as a keepsake to look back on our favourite photos and memories a few years down the line.

The Cast

We are travelling abroad for the first time as a family of 4 as our eldest Daughter has started a new job and is saving for a house.

We are Paul, Sally, Emma and Benjamin. Emma and Benjamin will be 7 and 5 when when we travel. Sally and I love our holidays. I love the booking and obsessive planning whilst Sally just enjoys rocking up and thinking it all kind of fell together

Emma is starting to love rides and swimming and wants to try everything on this trip. Benjamin will probably just stand back and watch until he makes his own mind up to try things which will hopefully happen quickly.

The back story

So our first US trip was in 2018. We we had just over three 3 weeks in Florida and absolutely loved every minute.

I did a trip report for this trip if anyone wants a nose here

Like lots of people we have had some Florida holidays cancelled for 2020 and then 2021. We did manage to do a little UK cruise last year which I also did a little trip report for which you can scan here

We really enjoyed it as it felt like a proper little holiday after the previous year or two. We are now desperate to get the kids abroad again.

When we got back from this cruise August 2021 we did discuss the hope of getting a proper holiday in 2022. With the cancelled plans and Covid situation we had spent some money on the house and updating one of our cars etc so a big trip wasn't really and option. We decided to start having a nose hoping for a couple of weeks all inclusive in the med somewhere. I spent much of September looking around in spare moments and nothing really jumped out at me. Eventually I started looking at Dubai. By the end of the month I had booked 15 nights in Dubai in two different hotels on The Palm. We were both happy with our choice and spent several months researching on youtube etc...
We had a nagging doubt about the heat but were convinced we could manage it sensibly. However, I got the feeling that the doubts were starting to grow with Sally as much as we were still really looking forward to it.
Fast forward to February and I had an enforced couple of weeks off work with a sprained wrist and broken ribs before a little bout of Covid. Well this ended up being time alone at home with a laptop. Like most blokes I ended up online looking at... no not that... holidays! Within a day or two I'd come up with a couple of alternative options which were Florida (couldn't really afford it) or California (Couldn't really afford it either but more so). Sally, as usual, said it was up to me so I had to keep pressing. Eventually she admitted she would rather bin off Dubai and go for California and I think I helped sell it by saying it was actually £1000 cheaper! I omitted to elaborate that Dubai was mostly all inclusive and California was flights, car, hotels with no food or theme park tickets

The booking

So with all our previous big US trips I have always booked everything myself. I like the flexibility and control and have generally got reasonable deals. We have pretty much always flown with BA as their flydrive deals have always been difficult to match. I initially priced up what we wanted with on the BA website. I then started splitting it down and pricing things up individually and I couldn't beat the package of flights, car and hotels BA were offering. I contacted Virgin for a quote on the off chance as their website is rubbish to personalise anything. I was immediately attracted to a better flight time out (this has since changed) and they eventually came up with a price marginally better than BA with a couple of little extras so I eventually booked with them. I have to say I didn't go to my normal effort of trying to getting it at a lower price myself as during Covid (Or are we post covid?) I prefer the idea of a package for once.

The plan

On 9th August we are staying overnight at a Premier Inn near Terminal 2 & 3.

I actually booked this back in September as we were to be flying form Heathrow to Dubai on the same day. I think it was £40 so pretty reasonable.

I'd also already booked nearby parking at Purple parking but now I think of it I'll have to try and alter the times slightly due to our change of destination and flight times.

We fly from Terminal 3 at 15:05 with Virgin.

I have no idea if that's the type of plane but you get the picture. We are flying in economy classic so have pre-booked our seats. Initially we were flying out in the morning but I think Virgin have since amalgamated the flights which is a bit of a shame. If I'd known I may not have bothered with the hotel but it's another night on the holiday as far as I'm concerned.

We are Flying into Harry Reid International Airport in Las Vegas. We ummed an ahhhed a bit about whether to do Las Vegas with the kids. I have been to Las Vegas once before about 2009. Sally has never been and I thought it would be nice for her to see it as we are over that side of the US.

We will collect a car from the airport for the duration of our trip. I would have liked a 7 seater or a suburban but have been sensible and just gone for a full size car this time from Alamo as part of the package. We will be restricted by what we can fit in Sally's car on the way to the airport anyway and the boot on her C class is pretty rubbish anyway to be honest. We have car seats, sat nav etc included in the package from Virgin. Reminds me, I have to the skip the counter bit at some point.

We are staying 4 nights in The Venetian.

I opted for the venetian mainly due to the theming and the fact that they are suites as standard. Virgin also came up with a pretty decent price. We have gone for the 2 queen suite and haven't upgraded for any kind of view so will just see what we get.

We don't have many set plans for Las Vegas yet. We are kind of hoping that the kids will have a good sleep on the plane so that we can have a wander and a meal on the first evening. We will see how we get on.

We have booked breakfast for the next morning at Mon Ami Gabi at Paris as we have seen recommendations on Vlogs we have been watching. Will hope to get a patio seat.

As for our full three days in Las Vegas we will play it by ear. We just want a little taste and explore. I think I may book at day at Cowabunga Waterpark in Henderson.
We are on a budget trip so will stick to cheaper places to eat... mostly. The kids will be happier with a Macdonalds than just about anything else so we can do it on a budget if needs be. I had considered Prime at The Bellagio as I lov the look of the setting but in all honesty its pricey and I'm not sure the kids would eat anything. I also found in some small print that no kids under 6 but not sure how strictly that is enforced. I am considering a buffet at either The Bachanal at Caesars or The Buffet at The Wynn but again I'm not sure they are worth the cost for us at the moment. I'm still giving our meal some thought and have a bit of time still. I'm also considering a trip out to the Grand Canyon but to be honest we are not sure we can be bothered as the journey will bore the kids. Would do a helicopter trip but the Grand Canyon ones are coming it at about £1500 for the 4 of us so that's a no this time.

On Sunday 14th August we will check out of The Venetian and head over to LA. Currently I am thinking of leaving early, getting the drive done and maybe checking out a couple of the LA sites before we go to our hotel.

Maybe ... the observatory, Hollywood sign and Beverley Hills.

Sally would want to try and find the real estate agent from Selling Sunset if we get a chance!

We are staying 4 nights at The Hilton Universal City.

I have bought 2 day tickets to Universal. I think a day maybe enough but Attraction Tickets at a decent looking deal on for two days for the price of 1 so I went ahead with those.

We are looking forward to the studio tour, Jurassic World and the stunt show mainly as well as a bit of food on City Walk etc. I think realistically we will probably do a day and half here.

After our couple of days we have a spare day in LA. I am thinking perhaps a bit of pool time, the Walk of fame and a trip down to Santa Monica/Venice Beach for a wander and check out Pacific Park on the pier.

On Thursday 18th August we check out of The Hilton and head down to Anaheim. We check into The Sheraton Park for our last 6 nights. We did seriously consider throwing in 2-3 nights in San Diego instead but eventually decided not to try and overdo it so that will be saved for another trip if we decide to go back.

I hope this hotel will be OK. Looks to be just about in walking distance from DL but if not I'm happy for a few Ubers etc. The hotel has had some mixed reviews as it has been undergoing a refurb but I shouldn't imagine we'll be spending too much time there other than perhaps some swimming breaks to chill out.

We have booked our tickets through AT and was able to reserve our park days pretty much immediately. We have booked 5 day tickets with hoppers and Genie +. We are thinking this will give us maximum flexibility.

We have one day in the middle with no park so was thinking of heading down to the beach for a day out. I have added a little boat trip on with Newport Coastal Adventures. They do whale watching trips but I'm under no illusions that our chances of seeing whales at this time of year are very slim. We don't have time for the likes of Moneterey on this trip so that will be saved for another time if we come back too. I always say I haven't been on holiday unless I've been on a boat so tis will at least tick that box. If we see a few dolphins then that will be a bonus. We have booked a private rib for the 4 of us and it's a two hour trip so I will look forward to that. We'll then head off for some beach time somewhere near that area I would imagine

After this day we will have two days left at Disney. One in DL and one in DCA.

I am looking into the possibility of booking a dining package for fantasmic/world of colour and maybe the tomorrowland terrace for fireworks but I've made no decisions yet.
On our last morning we do not have a park booked as we fly back home from LAX at 15:55. We may just head off for breakfast at Sana Monica somewhere or I may look at booking Goofy's Kitchen or the Princess Breakfast Adventure if I'm feeling mad.

Other than restaurants and minor details our plans are pretty well set.

I still need to arrange our Covid Tests and will probably use DOCHQ as I think any hope of testing disappearing is a pipe dream really.

I will probably provide some updates as we get closer to the time. For now, I'm smashing a bit of overtime to get all the spending money covered
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 22, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Looks absolutely fantastic! We stayed at the Sheraton Universal which is next to the Hilton - fantastic location. We also did a tour with Emily at YourLATours.com and top of my must see list was the Oppenheim Group office - I didn't manage to meet any of the agents though...
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 22, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Sounds like a great trip! It's actually pretty similar to ours in July except we have added in San Diego and we are flying in and out of LAX. We are also staying in the Sheraton Park so I will be able to let you know what it's like
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 22, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Looks absolutely fantastic! We stayed at the Sheraton Universal which is next to the Hilton - fantastic location. We also did a tour with Emily at YourLATours.com and top of my must see list was the Oppenheim Group office - I didn't manage to meet any of the agents though...
I looked at those tours before as I must have seen you mention it on another thread. I’m tempted just I’m at the stage where I don’t want to add to much more as I want us to have some downtime. The Oppenheim group… that’s it. Sally will be chuffed to bits if we see that 😂
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 22, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
Sounds like a great trip! It's actually pretty similar to ours in July except we have added in San Diego and we are flying in and out of LAX. We are also staying in the Sheraton Park so I will be able to let you know what it's like
It would be great to see your thoughts on the Sheraton although I fear it’s probably be too late to change it. Hope you have a great trip. I’m just dreading the whole testing thing in case the worst was to happen 😩
Old 10 May 22, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
I looked at those tours before as I must have seen you mention it on another thread. I’m tempted just I’m at the stage where I don’t want to add to much more as I want us to have some downtime. The Oppenheim group… that’s it. Sally will be chuffed to bits if we see that 😂
It was brilliant. Emily tailored the tour to our family and changed things on the day to suit the timings and traffic situation and as we thought of places! Helped DH to not have to drive us around for once as she dropped us outside places (like Oppenheim Group) and then waited or drove round whilst we jumped out and took pics! Definitely recommend but understand the need for downtime - it's a very busy holiday!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 22, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
It was brilliant. Emily tailored the tour to our family and changed things on the day to suit the timings and traffic situation and as we thought of places! Helped DH to not have to drive us around for once as she dropped us outside places (like Oppenheim Group) and then waited or drove round whilst we jumped out and took pics! Definitely recommend but understand the need for downtime - it's a very busy holiday!
I know Sally would absolutely love this especially mixed in with a tour near celebrity homes! I'll have to look at this again I think. Will probably have to expand the budget even more as I don't recall the tours being a cheap option
I'm really aware that we haven't allowed for much downtime. This is why I like to do 3 week trips usually
Old 10 May 22, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
It would be great to see your thoughts on the Sheraton although I fear it’s probably be too late to change it. Hope you have a great trip. I’m just dreading the whole testing thing in case the worst was to happen 😩
I’ll let you know, the last time I checked the reviews seemed much better so fingers crossed it will be fine.
I’m dreading the tests myself. I have told my lot I will kill them if they get covid and ruin the holiday, although I suppose it could be me that gets covid and ruins the holiday
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 22, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
I’ll let you know, the last time I checked the reviews seemed much better so fingers crossed it will be fine.
I’m dreading the tests myself. I have told my lot I will kill them if they get covid and ruin the holiday, although I suppose it could be me that gets covid and ruins the holiday
Yeah they have definitely picked up and a recent vlog series I saw had nothing negative to say about the hotel.
Most of us got covid in Feb, Sally and Emma have just had it again. If we carry on getting it every three months it will be just before the holiday. I'm going to try and remain positive
Old 11 May 22, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

WOW what a trip you’ve got planned, looks amazing as does that suite in Venetian 💕💕
You sound like a great Hubbie, mine just leaves it all to me & I just show him some hotels & a rough plan to get him interested 🤦🤷🙄mind you he is good at DIY so I can’t moan
Your kids are a lovely age they’ll enjoy every moment I’m sure
Roll on August

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List