Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 13 Aug 08, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Way Out West - Day 7 – Disney’s California Adventure

After our late night we were not up until 8:30 today. I was ready first and so while Dad was getting ready I went out to take some photos of the hotel and Downtown Disney.

We gathered our stuff together and left the room at 9:30 and arrived at the hotel’s own entrance to California Adventure just as it opened. We headed round towards Tower of Terror but as the park was not due to open until 10:00 that area was not open yet. Instead we re-traced our steps and went on Soarin’ where we were lucky enough to get front row seats.

From Soarin’ we continued round the park to the Sun Wheel which is like the London Eye with, if you want it, a twist – several of the gondolas slide and swing! Having watched them from our balcony there was no way either of us would go in a swinging gondola for any amount of money so we picked the stationary ones. We actually got two rotations – the first stop/start as the gondolas were loaded and the second a non-stop rotation.

Tower of Terror from the top of the Sun Wheel

From the Sun Wheel we went back for the 11:00 showing of Golden Dreams, which is a film starring Whoopi Goldberg giving the history of California, it’s people and their dreams.

After the show we made our way round to the Mission Tortilla Factory where we were saw machines making flour tortillas and were given a nice warm sample tortilla to try. From there we stopped off to have a coke each and a sit-down watching the world go by.

Next stop was It’s Tough To Be A Bug where I remembered to make sure I sat forward on the seat so I didn’t get ‘stung’. From there we went to see another 3D film – Muppetvision 3D, which is still my favourite of all the Disney 3D movies.

After Muppetvision we went round to the Hyperion Theatre to see the 1:50 performance of Aladdin. As part of the package we got when booking the room we had vouchers for preferred seating, which we used and got seats in the orchestra section around 15 rows from the front. The show is a 45 minute live action version of Aladdin and includes performers ‘flying’ over the audience on a flying carpet. It was a good fun show and included lots of laughs thanks to the performance of the cast member playing the genie who came out with some great topical one-liners.

After the show we wandered back to the hotel where we spent some time relaxing before going back out at 5:40 for dinner at ESPNZone.

We had a reservation for 6:00 and almost immediately after checking-in at 5:50 we were seated. I ordered the Summer Rolls and Dad had a plate of cheesey fries to start and for main course Dad had a Smoke House Burger and I had a Cajun Chicken Sandwich, both with fries. Dad had a pint of Bud Lite, I had a Sam Adams light and the whole lot came to $65 including tip.

Once we had finished we went back to California Adventure where we rode Monsters Inc. This is a traditional Disney dark ride where you ride in a taxi through various scenes depicting Mike and Sulley’s attempts to get Boo back through her door before the Child Detection Agency catch her.

From there we staked out a spot opposite the Sun Wheel for the Main Street Electrical Parade. We had been sitting at the front of the roadside and as the parade started we decided to stand up as there was nobody behind us and we thought we would not be blocking anybody’s view so were quite surprised when somebody tapped us on the back just as the last float came in to view and complained that nobody further down the road could see and maybe we could step back a bit. Why it had taken him the whole 20 minutes and 9 ‘scenes’ to complain is anybody’s guess but I really don’t think we were causing that much of a problem.

Once the parade finished we wandered back to the hotel (using the ‘private’ entrance again) and were back in the room by 9:40. We were in bed by 10:00 ready for our Amtrak adventure to Universal Studios Hollywood tomorrow.

Tomorrow: Day 8 – Universal Studios Hollywood and an old favourite.

Trip Reports: WDW '07 ~ WDW '08 ~ SF & Disneyland '08 ~ WDW '09 ~ Smokies '09 ~ DLP '10 ~ DCL '10 ~ Crown Princess '11 ~ WDW '11 ~ DCL '12 ~ DCL '13

Edited at 09:19 PM.
wickesy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 08, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
pepsicube
Imagineer

Sounds great so far, you're giving me lots of ideas for a future holiday for us!
pepsicube is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 08, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Another fantastic day David ~ We really enjoyed our stay at GCH.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 08, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

I loved the 'Golden Dreams' film.

You were brave going on the Sun Wheel. I'll be giving it a miss
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 08, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post

The Sun Wheel was our first ride at the California Adventure park when we went. We hadn't had time to watch it beforehand and I got quite a scare when the carriage began to slide!

Really enjoyed reading about your day here.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 08, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
pelsey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Wow you wouldn't catch me going on the sun wheel for all the tea in china. Another lovely day, it doesn't look like you hired a car and I was wondering how you found it without a car.
pelsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 08, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahc
VIP Dibber

sarahc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Did you do California Screamin'? I loved that ride!
Old 14 Aug 08, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pelsey View Post
Wow you wouldn't catch me going on the sun wheel for all the tea in china. Another lovely day, it doesn't look like you hired a car and I was wondering how you found it without a car.
You really don't need a car as everything is so close together. Even going to Universal we managed on public transport.

Originally Posted by sarahc View Post
Did you do California Screamin'? I loved that ride!
I'm not a coaster fan, especially those that go upside down! Motion sickness is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Trip Reports: WDW '07 ~ WDW '08 ~ SF & Disneyland '08 ~ WDW '09 ~ Smokies '09 ~ DLP '10 ~ DCL '10 ~ Crown Princess '11 ~ WDW '11 ~ DCL '12 ~ DCL '13

wickesy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 08, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Again, another great day.

I was just looking at stay offsite when visiting DLR but I think that staying at the GC might be the way to go
Old 17 Nov 08, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

I think I must be the only one who is actually looking forward to riding on the swinging carriages on the Sun wheel Glad there is a Tough to be a bug. I love that show.
Thanks for the great report and photos
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List