Old 15 Aug 08, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
California dreaming, screaming and still beaming :) Day 6

29/07/08

Had the complimentary breakfast in the hotel - similar to the HIE in SF but this time had omlettes instead of scrambled eggs. We still had to fight for a table - this time with a load of schoolgirl softball players. There must have been a tournament going on as they were everywhere - as were firemen! There were firetrucks all over Fresno as the firemen must have been put up in some of the hotels.

After checking about the fire we set off early as apparently the smoke was going over the park in the late afternoons. It was a long straight drive from Fresno which took about an hour to reach. Once there it took another hour to get to the places of interest within the park! First stop was Glacier Point - AMAZING!

Unfortunately the photos are a bit hazy due to the smoke in the valley.

There was a shop selling souviners and snacks and was run by a generator as the power still hadn't been restored to keep the park safer for the firefighters.

We then went down to the valley floor and had a look around the visitor centre and bought sandwiches for a picnic lunch. After lunch we decided to go for a paddle and drove to a layby near the river. It was quite pebbley and then we noticed another family on a sandy bit across the river and a big log going across the river.

The family crossed back to our side using the log. DH, DD and DS decided to go across too - I stayed on the pebbley bit!

They then convinced me to come across too as the views were amazing. (Like a Bob Ross painting!) I wasn't very happy doing it but DS came to guide me across and there were 3 people waiting to cross too. It was about 6ft deep apparently. I got off the other end and nearly burst into tears!

They were right - the views were amazing!

More to follow

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 08, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
After a lovely paddle in ice cold water it was time to head back. DH and DD skipped across and DS was asked to take a photo of the other 3 people picnicking on the bank. I started across the log on my own - went about 6 feet and then had a major panic attack! I was certain I was going to fall! I managed to turn around and get back onto the sand. With that DS asked what I was doing as he hadn't seen that I'd come back and I just told him I couldn't go! DH was trying to encourage me - but I was frozen and practically in tears! I've never felt that way before and hope never to feel like it again! I was trying to think of how DH could find a way to get the car to the other side of the river - but it would mean I might get eaten by a bear (s!)! Then in a very grown up way (which still amazes me!) DS persuaded me to try again and that he would walk infront or behind me. He went infront and I shuffled along behind him. Then he was getting a bit ahead of me so in the end I was hanging onto his T shirt for dear life! I could have taken us both in!

When I finally got to the other side some tears sneaked out but no one dared give me stick then! I've had PLENTY since though!

Then we got back in the car and took some last pics of Yosemite but as you can see it was getting quite smokey now. We could smell it and didn't see any climbers either due to the smoke.

We then went to Mariposa Grove which is a forest of Giant redwood trees. Here are a few pics - some were over 1000 years old.

The roads in Yosemite are like a white knuckle ride if you are a passenger as most of the time I seemed to be on the edge of a cliff! DD got travel sick with all the ins and outs!

Back then on the straight road to Fresno. Oakhurst was much closer to the park but when I looked online none of the hotels had vacancies but most were advertising vacancies when we drove past. Might be worth ringing a hotel directly if it says full online.

We went to PF Changs for a meal which was lovely! We noticed that all the other tables ended up taking doggy bags home - we didn't, we were starving!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...

Edited at 02:11 AM.
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 08, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Another fantastic report with lovely photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 08, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Brilliant! It looks so gorgeous.

You did great crossing that log. You've got me having palpitations here just reading about it!
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 08, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Cheryl P
Imagineer

Cheryl P's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looks beautiful - Lovely fotos!

Cheryl P is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 08, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post

What an amazing day! The photos are great!
Old 15 Aug 08, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post

wow these are fantastic photos such a different but very interesting report cant wait for more
Old 15 Aug 08, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

wow looks stunning, what gorgeous photos
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 08, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
kimmy
Imagineer

What Amazing Photos...
Old 17 Aug 08, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Stunning photos.