Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 24 Sep 08, 06:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Dollar_Bill and Jools Go West, Day 9 Alcatraz

Day 9 Alcatraz
Today was a day we’d both been looking forward to – our visit to Alcatraz. We were both up bright eyed and bushy tailed, well in fact Bill sat on the edge of the bed for what seemed like ages, looking bemused when the alarm went off – I’d already been up for a couple of hours. Eventually we were both ready to walk along to Pier 33 for the ferry to take us to The Rock.
It only took about 20 minutes to walk there (it would take most people 10 minutes but Bill was walking of course). We went to exchange our vouchers for real tickets. We’d booked this package on line months ago so had to do the voucher exchange thing. We then joined the line to board the ferry – oops our tickets beeped alarmly. It was because we were to early. We had joined the 9am line and our ferry was the 9.30 one. Was that Bill I heard muttering about could have stayed in bed longer? So we sat in the sun for a while and then joined the next line. This time we were allowed to board the ferry and it was soon on it’s way to the island with us safely on board. It was a wee bit choppy in the bay but nothing too bad, we stood at the front of the boat and were surprised to see lots of really big jelly fish in the water.

We got to the island ad were soon off the boat, bought an Alcatraz guide thingy for $1 and went into the ‘theatre’ for the film on the history of Alcatraz. I hadn’t realized it was a military base before it was a prison, or that it had been invaded by native Indian tribes and occupied by the Indians for almost 2 years after it had closed as a prison. The one thing I immediately noticed upon going inside the Alcatraz buildings was the smell. I can’t put my finger on what it was, I don’t think it was the drains but there was an unpleasant smell and I’m not good with smells (unless it’s tar, petrol or parfin – that sort of stuff). Anyway the smell was horrible and really put me off staying inside for longer than necessary.

After the film we went to the audio guided tour part. Now this was really good (if smelly). I couldn’t believe how tiny the cells were, there were no solid walls or doors to the front of them and I’d imagine it must have been freezing cold in them on even mild days.

Bill being old school when it comes to offenders thought it was great and that all prisoners should have to live in those conditions . The whole history of the place was fascinating and we enjoyed the tour very much. Bill asked me if I liked it as much as the Keys to The Kingdom at MK, and I had to answer honestly that no I preferred KTTK as it didn’t smell horrible and you got to jump the queues for the rides . Yes I know that’s an unfair comparison, but the question was asked and that was my honest answer.

I’ve seen nicer restrooms than these;

Bill really struggled with the walking on this tour. The highest point of the tour is apparently equal to 13 stories high and the gradients are quite steep. Unfortunately Bill has even more difficulty walking downhill than he does walking up as there is more of a strain placed on the knee joint, so if anyone with mobility problems is thinking of doing this tour it’s a point to bear in mind. They do offer a tram service but it was put across as really only being for wheelchair users.

Edited at 10:40 PM.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 08, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

We were both happy to return to the ferry after a couple of hours, although I’d imagine there would be enough there to keep anyone occupied all day. I’d always read about how cold it is on Alcatraz and in the prison, so we dressed for the cold in jeans and also took our new matching windproof fleecy jackets. Well wouldn’t it just be about the hottest day of the year on the island? It was really hot in the prison and I was carrying both jackets, which were pretty bulky. Once back at the ferry terminal we were urged to exit through the Alcatraz gift shop and café (just like coming off a Disney ride). We walked straight through and were lucky enough to catch one of the San Francisco trollies just outside. It was only a couple of stops to our hotel but Bill had had more than enough walking for the time being, so it was a short trolly ride for us and we were dropped off opposite our hotel, and as it happens also opposite Johnny Rockets, where we went inside for philly steak sandwiches and milk shakes – mmm. We then went back to the hotel as we were so inappropriately dressed in our jeans and with our big jackets.

Once back in our room Bill immediately fell asleep on the bed so I carried on with the trip reports and let him sleep for an hour. Then we were out again, this time to do a hop on hop off sightseeing city tour. This came as part of our Alcatraz package and the bus stop was just at the end of the street, so very handy for us. I must say the location of the Radisson is excellent (what with Jonny Rockets being in it an all), it is so central for everything when we return to San Francisco (and we will) we will most likely stay here again. Anyway back to the report, the bus was already at the stop (it’s the official starting point so it waits there for about 5 minutes each time). We got on and went upstairs, I was pleased that Bill actually made it up the stairs, and we were soon off on our sight seeing tour.

It was still very warm and was just very relaxing sitting on the top deck (it was an open top bus) with the sun beaming in. We went around all of the touristy places and out towards the Golden Gate Bridge. Now I said it was warm on the bus? Well it was until we started to cross the bridge, then it was ffffffreezing cold. Good grief where was my warm jacket when I needed it The cold wind really took your breath away.

We got off the bus at the other side of the bridge to have a look around and for Bill to take a load of photos of course.

We were warm again once we were back in the sun, but then there was only one way back – on the next bus over the bridge again. We got on the next bus and braced ourselves for against the cold wind, well it had to be done to get back to Fisherman’s Wharf. I was surprised at how soon we were back in the Wharf, where we walked to Pier 39 and had a look around the shops there.

There was a lovely sweet shop where I bought some Salt Water Taffy, which was all gone by the time we got back to the hotel.

Later on we went out for a bite to eat. Neither of us was very hungry so we walked about looking in different restaurants and café’s before deciding on loaded potato skins at the Hard Rock Café. I also had grilled chicken breast and ‘smashed’ potatoes, but only ate about half of it – what a waste. We then returned to the hotel for the night it had been a long day and we’d done a lot. All in all it was brilliant day.

Edited at 10:42 PM.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 08, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great day had by you both - have not been to Alcatraz - only round it on a boat! The weather is very strange in SF - especially over that bridge!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 08, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What a great day Jools - very full. Glad to see the matching outfits are getting some use! I loved Alcatraz - we had a tour by a former guard who was visiting on the same day we were which was great. Fantastic pictures again from Bill - really photogenic city - the bus tour sounds like a good idea. Must look into that although Bill is keen on a day trip to Napa for some strange reason?

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 08, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Wow, fantastic photos, it looks like you had a really interesting day

Loving these reports, keep 'em coming!

Diane x
Old 24 Sep 08, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Another brillant report with lovely photos. I'm really enjoying reading your reports, it's bringing up fantastic memories of our trips to the West Coast.
Old 24 Sep 08, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would love to visit Alcatraz, it sounds really interesting. More fantastic photos
Old 24 Sep 08, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
You two are really getting to see the sights and making the most of your holiday.
Great photos once again.

Bob
Old 24 Sep 08, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
The Durrigan's
VIP Dibber

Thumbs up

Alcatraz looks like an unbelievable place...mind you I wouldn't like to stay in it...Another great report with pictures to match.

Southern Dunes 1997, Rodeway Inn on I-Drive 1999, Rosen Plaza on I-Drive 2003, Tivoli Manor 2007, Windsor Hills Resort 2008, Dibb Villa Sunridge Woods 2009, Espirit 2010, Highlands Reserve 2013, Dibb Villa Lindfields 2015, Dibb Villa Sunridge Woods 2018, Dibb Condo Bahama Bay Resort + Disney Swan 2019
The Durrigan's is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List