highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Highlander Day2 NYC Shopping/Central Park/NY Rangers

For Cast please see Day 1

Friday 17th October
I should have mentioned on day 1 the weather was very warm in the evening in NY and to day was another nice day temps stayed in high 50's and low 60's, no rain at all during our 5 day visit much better than Easter.
Today I was up at 4am only a few hours sleep but the gang slept soundly till 8, I just passed the time in the lobby reading my book and listening to my Ipod I also took advantage of the free Wi-Fi in the lobby to check email etc, once the gang where up and ready we headed out to the shops again as the wife still had her goodies to get unfortunately the mall didn't open till 10 so we breakfasted in Dunkin Donuts for $8 we got a double choc muffin, choc donut, cheese and egg muffin, hot choclate and a coffee very tasty, also bought the weekly subway passes for $25 each from machine in subway nearby.
At 10am we stormed JC Penney's and throughout the next few hours we helped beat the credit crunch and did our bit for the American economy, highlights of shopping where I got both DW and DD nice pieces of jewelery for DD's 18th and DW's Xmas pics below
DD's Necklace Silver and Gold

DW's Necklace for xmas shew loves Harry Potter books so when I saw this I had to get it

the shopping mal;l is quite good with a Hot Topic, Foot locker, H&M, Macy's, Yellow Rat Bstd, to name but a few, with only $48.31 left on our Fair FX we returned to the hotel to drop off our shopping, we met our maid who apologized as our room wasn't cleaned yet, she semed upset so we reassured her it was okay as we where heading straight out again.
We catch the subway to Central Park as we have the movie tour booked for 3pm, we arrive at the park around 2pm and its pretty busy and boy do u get fed up telling them you don't want a bloody bike ride, we buy hot dogs from a cart the vendor tries to charge us $4 each for them, I point out that the price is $2 each according to his board, he says that we have large ones, now I kid you not the hot dogs where tiny compared to other's we've had in states, I ask him to show us a smaller one, he then fakes no speaky english,so I offer to report him to a police officer standing nearby, suddenly its just a mistake and $6 is okay, over the next few days in Manhattan there seemed to be more than usual traders trying to rip off tourists, now i expect to pay more etc but really ripping off is a no no , we decide to get juice in Duane Reade opposite rather than pay the tourist prices at Central Park

As our tour time neared I started to worry as there was no sign of our guide, I called the number on the voucher and the girl kept me on the line while she called the guide, lucky I did call as we where in wrong spot and had a five min walk to another entrance to meet up with our party, funnily enough there was !3 in our group and 6 others also came from Scotland, the tour is pretty good as you get a guided tour of the park as well, we spent just over 2 hours on the tour and we had a 10 min break at the carousel, a crew where shooting a music video in the park and we saw a few street performers as well, it was a really nice afternoon and a prefect way to see the park in Autumn bloom
wacko jacko

Batman as you can see the Dark Knight has been hit with the credit crunch

some random of the park

highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 08, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
more of park

Dakota Apartments

highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 08, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
After leaving the tour we got sweets from the Duane Reade store for the game later, we then got the subway to the Garden and had dinner in the gyro joint opposite I had a Gyro and Jacquie and Danny had pizza $21 in total including juices. Picked up our tix the game tonight was the Rangers v the Maple Leafs this was our first ice hockey match and we where looking forward to it, I had picked up NY Ranger caps at JC Penney's in their sale so we could blend in, with both me and Danny being Bhoys cheering the Rangers on was not going to be an easy task but we rose to the challenge although we never did shout come on the blues the crowd at the game where a lot more boisterous than the basketball fans and more drink was definitely being consumed, the Canadians in the crowd gave as good as they got though, the game was good and went into overtime as the final score was 0-0 the Ranger won 1-0, have to the Rangers where the better team, also be warned its bloody freezing in there
some pics of the game

After the game we got the subway back to Elmhurst and DWand Danny both had a McD's on way back to hotel, have to say even although it looks like a run down area we never felt unsafe at anytime here, we watched tv then in bed
Old 2 Nov 08, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post

A great day & great photos!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 08, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

A very busy day Steve. Lol at you doing your bit to beat the American credit crunch
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 08, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great day. I love ice hockey and watch my local team here. I have never managed to see a Rangers game when I've been in NY, however I did see a game in Chicago once and it was fantastic. A lot different to UK ice hockey games. Love your photos
Old 3 Nov 08, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Ste
Imagineer

Ste's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I wanna go back to NY
Old 3 Nov 08, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
A busy day Steve.

Love Central Park photos. You just wouldn't think you were in NY.
Old 3 Nov 08, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Great day. Central Park looks great at this time of year. Its always been so cooold when we have been there. Sorry to hear about the vendor stands trying to rip the tourists off. That is not good.

Hockey game looks brillant.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 08, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Love the photos of Central Park - Can't wait!

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List