Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Cool The Big Four-oh! Vegas & Orlando, Dec '08 - Introduction

The Big Four-oh! Vegas & Orlando, Dec '08 - Introduction

Hi there! Thanks for dropping in!

This introduction is more of a pre trip report but as I didn't actually manage it 'PRE' trip, I thought I would call it an introduction

This is my first report. I have been a member on the Dibb for 13 months and it was reading a trip report back in December 07 that got me into the Dibb. It was also reading that same report that convinced me to go in December for this very trip!

BenH, if you only knew how much time spent on the Dibb that report has cost me and how much cash that report cost me

I am glad I actually met you on New Years eve as it finally completed things full circle for me!

Anyway, back to the report. In my head I would love this to be just like Craig's or Mike's reports (mkingdon) & (Mike) as they have me believing I am there. They have me genuinely laughing out loud and they leave me wanting more! I have re-read their reports on many occasions and I sit there saying "wow, that could be me writing that. It sounds just like something I would do or say!" Sadly, I think they are far more talented than I, so in case it doesn't turn out like theirs, I will get in at this point that I am doing this as a diary for me and the kids to remember Mum getting old

The first problem I have found with any trip report is how do you find a name for it How hard can it surely be? In the end I decided on The Big Four-oh! because my DW needs reminding from time to time she has a toy boy to look after her!

So who are we?

The cast.

Me, Neil - 36 (just!) - Dibbaholic, Disneyaholic, Chief planner and organiser - 7th trip
DW, Karen - 39 if it is the pre trip and 40 if not! - Loves to read the Dibb but too frightened to post! Disneyaholic, Chief Packer - 7th trip
DS, Rees - 8 - Would love to be a dibber but his spelling needs some work! - Disneyaholic, Chief roller coaster rider - 6th trip
DD, Katie - 4 - Doesn't care what the Dibb is tbh, Princess (and Minnie) aholic, chief firework scaredy cat - 4th trip
DM, Joan (Nana) - Over 60 (she wouldn't appreciate any more than that!) - Dibb reader, Epcot/Boardwalkaholic, Chief worrier - 3rd trip
DD, Peter (Grandad) - 64 (for a few more weeks ) - No interest in the Dibb as it's on one of them computer things! Grandkidaholic, Chief power napper - 3rd trip.

So that's us! Now for the detail of the trip itself!

This trip should never really have got off the ground if anyone was being sensible. Sadly I leave sensible to my Brother and tend to do things rather for the now! The scene really needs setting back to last December (07). As I alluded to earlier, I joined the Dibb that very month as I searched around the internet for information on park times and ride closures etc so I could put some detail into my schedule for the upcoming trip in Easter of 08. I stumbled here as I read a 'live trip report' and it gripped me! (Sad I know) but I couldn't get over how warm it was during that 'live' time!

I started to find myself logging in at work everyday reading Ben's report along with others who were there at the same time and the seed was set in my mind that we had to go in December one year. Any year would do as long as it was one year soon! Once I saw the pictures appear on here and all over the net showing the castle covered in lights it became a bit more of a personal crusade! (I am a 36 year old bloke for god sake what is up with me!)

Anyway, I tested the water with some comments about the weather and a big screen saver showing the castle but Karen laughed at me because deep down she knew that we had too much on in 08 with planned 'vacations' and after all I would "get over it after my Easter fix!"

She was right of course! We had planned (but not booked) to go away during June to Vegas for a few days to celebrate our 15th Wedding Anniversary. It was something that had been 'pencilled' in for many years and was something that was causing a block on me going on an invited stag do there because "you can't go there until I have been there" was getting in the way!

For Christmas we had also talked about 'doing' Lapland because with the kids being 8 and 4 we didn't know how much longer we would get out of Rees, if you know what I mean!

Anyway, fast forward to our Easter trip. I played the spoilt kid routine. I lost count of the times that I would say something like, "imagine this at Christmas", "Let's not worry about doing that now, we could do it at Christmas" and on and on I went. It did help at the time that the $ was still 2 to the pound so "it wouldn't be that expensive anyway"

When we returned in April I instantly hit the blues! We had the most amazing time with 'our best friends' (another family of 4) and we talked about returning in 2010 when they had saved again.

We priced up Vegas but I decided it was too hot and we couldn't possibly do it We priced up Lapland and I said "oh, you could get 2 weeks in Orlando at the same time for that and it wouldn't be as cold!"

Now at the same time as I was plotting more reasons why we should go to Orlando, another one conveniently dropped into my lap! My dear mother who by now had been on overload with our pictures, videos and holiday tales said "Oh, I wish we could come there with you again but can't because of you and your Dad"

To explain at this point. Karen and I run our own business and Dad is a Manager for us. He has been fantastic for us over the years, as it has allowed us to go away for 2 & 3 week holidays knowing that all was safe back home. We couldn't have the same time off together.

Unless...

Well of course, unless it was whilst we have our 2 week Christmas shut down!

Right there and then I decided that it was obviously meant to be! Why else would all these signs keep pointing to Florida at Christmas!

After that the plot thickened! I decided it might be nice to do a surprise for Karen 'on the way' if it was possible but I needed help! I ran the idea to Mum & Dad about having the kids for a few days ahead of the proposed holiday, whilst I took Karen to Vegas. Then we would meet them in Orlando and they would bring the kids out! After all it would be silly to pay to go to the States twice! Right?

She said they would be delighted to

As I put my thoughts down here now I am shocked at how inventive and convincing I can be!

So that was the plan. I told my B-I-L of the planned surprise and he decided that he and his wife would join us to Vegas as it was something they had wanted to do for some time also. So all I needed to do now was book the flights and keep the first bit a surprise!

I soon got over the 'blues' of my return as I now had another countdown and another schedule to plan! As I plotted and planned with the others, Karen eventually caught us out and we ended up telling her the detail. I was disappointed at the time but it actually turned into a God send in the end because she was so certain of all the things she wanted to do in Vegas that she ended up planning that bit with Jane whilst I got on with the important bit of the Disney schedule and ADR's!

As the year passed by and the Credit Crunch (God I hate that phrase!) hit the UK, I must admit I had one or two thoughts about the extravagant plan being more a bankrupt plan! But it was booked. We could just tone down the schedule I mused but deep down I knew I couldn't!

CONTINUED...
Reetser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Reetser
Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
So anyway here is the schedule that we took with us.

Day 1. 13th Dec 2008 to Manchester for hotel stay before flight.
Day 2. Fly BMI direct to Vegas
Day 3. A day 'hotel visiting' on the strip
Day 4. Helicopter trip over Hoover Dam and Horse ride in Grand Canyon.
Day 5. Coach trip to Hoover Dam and onsite tour.
Day 6. A day 'hotel visiting' on the strip
Day 7. Leisurely morning and flight to Orlando.
Day 8. A day to get Santa sorted and decorate the apartment.
Day 9. Leisurely morning and meet kids at the airport!
Day 10. The Big Four-oh! Seaworld and Bahama Breeze
Day 11. Relaxing Swim and shop with Celebration Dibb Meet in the evening.
Day 12. Busch Gardens and meet with Karen's Auntie and Uncle
Day 13. Christmas Day! Epcot - Coral Reef ADR
Day 14. Magic Kingdom with Dinner ADR at Boma
Day 15. IOA & Universal with VIP FOTL passes!
Day 16. Animal Kingdom and Dinner at Rainforest Cafe.
Day 17. Leisurely swim and shop. Cricketers Arms for 'Live' football! + a surprise for all the family at Boardwalk/Epcot!
Day 18. Magic Kingdom plus Dinner at Ramos LBV
Day 19 New Years Eve! Epcot for Dibb Meet!
Day 20 Leisurely swim and shop plus dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon. Magic Kingdom Fireworks to follow.
Day 21. Hollywood Studios with Fantasmic.
Day 22. Leisurely swim and shop plus City walk for BMG (a surprise for Mum & Dad).
Day 23. Live FA Cup football! Downtown Disney and T-Rex
Day 24. TBA - Our best bits!
Day 25. Celebration after DTD check in and flight home
Day 26. Plan next one!

We decided on 10 day base passes with out hopper or water. We chose this because I really had no intention of filling the days and needing to hop. My aim was in early, eat early, out early and swim! Besides we had enough 'spare' days on the 10 day if we really needed to hop plus we have so many 'un expired' water days on older tickets if the weather warranted it!

I decided on an annual pass at the time for myself because by the time of departure I had managed to secure flights for August 09 at a silly price so knew I would not only get a second trip out of it but I would also get free car parking at the parks which justified the extra cost!

I had read so many times in the build up to our trip on here and other sites about how busy it was going to be at Christmas. I didn't really mind about this because being in the fortunate position of having been before and going again I wasn't worried about what we didn't do. I was going to see that castle remember! I actually got very content with the idea that I was going to take my time in the parks and soak up the atmosphere and detail. I armed myself with a 'touring plan' in each park based on the amount of time we had in each. I scheduled that we would be in them early, do the headliners before the masses, eat before the masses and then do a bit more whilst others ate. My main aim then was to simply sit and people watch!

Well, I really have gone on! To anyone who has made it this far you have stamina! You are going to need some of that stamina to get through the main report!

To those that didn't make it down here, well I suppose you won't read what I have to say to you so no point in lowering myself to comment but thanks for trying!

Sorry it is all words and no pictures but there isn't much you can do on an introduction. Give me a break! We took just over 3,000 pictures on the trip so I do intend to share lots with you as I go!

Just for good measure though I thought I would leave you with one

See you real soon!

DAY 1 CAN BE FOUND HERE

Edited at 02:11 PM.
Reetser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
More please- this looks an amazing trip.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 02:56 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsG26
Excited about Disney

I cant wait for the next part We are going out to Florida to get married in June next year but trying to convince DF we need to have our honeymoon in Vegas. Will show him this report to let him see what a fab time u all had
MrsG26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Wow that was great thanks for the detailed trippie cant wait for the rest
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks - looking forward to the rest - come along - don't dilly dally!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I LOVE the start of your report. We're going at Easter and Christmas next year. It will be our first Christmas trip so I'm really looking forward to reading you report.
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm hooked... sounds like a fantastic trip.

Looking forward to reading more.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen uk
Imagineer

Helen uk's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh come on hurry up with the rest... quickly now

2006 Animal Kindgom Lodge
2007 Villa Caribbean Beach Resort and HRH

Edited at 11:47 AM.
Helen uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 09, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

What a great report!
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List