Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Apr 09, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
joanneclaire
Dibbing with Tink

Surprise... your off to Las Vegas - Day 1

Day 1

Well D-Day has finally arrived

Very early start for us, normally known as 'early o'clock' but in reality it was 2am as we had a long drive down to Gatwick. Dont even think we even fell to sleep as we both were laid waiting for the alarm to go off ... why do we do that rather than just get up LOL

Well we both bounced out of bed, into the shower, shaved (Tony not me LOL) and loaded our cases in the cold and dark ... locked the door, checked it twice LOL and off we set on the haul to Gatwick which is about a 4 hours drive for us.

The day before we had picked up a small car from Eurocar at a local centre and hired it for 24 hours with a drop off at Gatwick. Perfect as we were flying back into Manchester.

The drive down to Gatwick was boring as usual, Tony drove and I darnt fall to sleep, even though by now I was feeling tired as I had been tight and wouldnt pay an extra £25 to put me on the insurance to share the driving LOL - hardly any traffic on the road and we made Gatwick in good time, dropped our car off at North terminal before heading over to the South terminal to check in with Virgin, as once again I was unable to do this online the day before for some reason.

Our seats had been changed, but for what reason I dont know as we stayed on the same row, had window seats, moved us from 30 A&B to 30 J&K, no big deal and in the end worked out better as we had an empty seat at the side of us

Virgin flight VS43 left 30 minutes late and no sooner had we started to climb the sky, the lady in front of my reclined her seat :angry: now this doesnt normally bother me at all as after all seats are made to recline and indeed I do it, but this was just unnecessary im sure so early, not to mention the fact that she nearly took my head off when she did it as I was lent forward getting the sky mag out to see what films were on, I just thought how rude and ignorant of her!

Anyway, the flight was full to capacity and luckily for us, the guy who was sat next to tony was a friend of the crew and had got his seat on stand by, so as soon as the seat belt light went off, his friend came for him and that was the last we saw of him, so we ended up with the only spare on the plane next to us didnt take tony long to spread out into it mind LOL

Dinner time already, we lowered our tables and they were disgusting, obviously hadnt been cleaned inbetween flights, one of the cabin crew very kindly cleaned it up and apologised, usual choice of beef, chicken or pasta, just wish they would change their dessert, whats those little choc pots about then? these have been around far too long now and a change is needed Mr Branson!

3.5 hours to go and no soft drinks left at all only water and fresh orange left on board!

We landed and went straight through immigration and customs, this was the quickest and smoothest exit ever! straight into a taxi outside and straight to the MGM, taxi cost was $13.40

After a tip off here on the Dibb Id already said to tony to get out and get the suitcases LOL, so off we went and checked in, the entrance is HUGE! the check in clerk was great, got what we asked for, high room, strip view, non smoking with king bed, Grand Tower Room, floor 21, room 129. Nice large room, very clean and just perfect for our base for the next 6 nights.

Quick wash and change into something cooler as it was 84 degrees and we wanted to head out for a little look around, we couldnt go too far as another surprise I had for tony .. I had booked us two tickets to see David Copperfield who was showing at the MGM that night. so we found a subway close by, had a sandwich before heading back to our room for a little rest before getting ready for the show.

We headed down to the Hollywood Theatre in the MGM at 7pm, now when I booked this show, the lady did tell me that this theatre is a small one, but to be honest I just thought, the American 'small' is usually the British 'large' LOL but to my total surprise this theatre is really small and it didnt matter where you sat, you could see everything as virtually everyone was on top of the stage, its about 1/2 the size of a UK average cinema room I would say. Well all I can say is David Copperfield blew us all away and 'wow', if you ever get the chance to see this man.. do, you wont be disappointed, we still cannot believe he did what he did in front of us! truly amazing!

One trick started with Copperfield throwing out freezbies into the audience to randomly select 'helpers' to Tonys horror, as much as he tried to duck and dive the freezbie, it landed right on his lap as he sat up thinking he had missed it LOL so he had to go up onto the stage.

To cut a long story short, Copperfield made an American car appear before our eyes ... but how? audience members held a huge rope in a square on the stage, audience members kneeled on the floor and held onto two large pedestals which were about 5 ft tall and placed within the rope square, we could see above the pedestals, below and through the pedestals and see all the men with rope around the pedestals, a quick flick of a sheet and real car was sat there! now you know there is a trick somewhere ... but where the hell it was we dont know, tony was within reaching distance from the car with his part of the rope ! no one could believe what had just happened in front of us. This was just one amazing trick amongest a show full of them.

A fantastic end to our first day in Vegas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mgm march 09.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	14054  

Totally unique with exclusive facilities

South facing pool with coloured LED lighting, spa/hot tub, private garden, free sat nav use, Nintendo Wii gaming wall, twin Xbox live with game pass gaming station, retro arcade games

License No:- DWE5903426

Edited at 11:16 PM.
joanneclaire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 09, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
travelmam
Imagineer

Great start to your holiday.

1996 All Star Sports (Florida) 1998 Sheraton Anaheim (California)
2001 Carousel Anaheim (California) 2007 Disney's Port Orleans Riverside (Florida)
2009 Sheraton Park, Anaheim (California)

2009 - California On A Shoestring - Trip Report
2012 Azul Sensatori, Riviera Maya (Mexico) 2013 El Dorado Seaside Suites, Riviera Maya (Mexico)
2015 All Star Sports (Florida) 2016 Anantara Hotel & Resorts (Dubai)
2016 Azul Sensatori, (Jamaica)
travelmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 09, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Fantastic start. I'm going to enjoy these trippies
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 09, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Great first day
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 09, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen uk
Imagineer

Helen uk's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start...bet you were ready for bed after that

2006 Animal Kindgom Lodge
2007 Villa Caribbean Beach Resort and HRH
Helen uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 09, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Wow a great start... Look forward to some more
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 09, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Great start. I have to ask though... why did you have to get your own cases out of the taxi? I am intrigued...do the drivers drive off with them? eek!
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 09, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
joanneclaire
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by DisneyMadAng View Post
Great start. I have to ask though... why did you have to get your own cases out of the taxi? I am intrigued...do the drivers drive off with them? eek!

LOL, it was a tip I had read here on the Dibb before we left from another Las Vegas / MGM trip report, if you arnt too quick, the door guy (sorry dont know his official name) at the hotel will get them who wants tipping and then they get passed onto the bell boys who take them to your room who also want tipping.

sorry does that sound tight LOL
Joanne

Totally unique with exclusive facilities

South facing pool with coloured LED lighting, spa/hot tub, private garden, free sat nav use, Nintendo Wii gaming wall, twin Xbox live with game pass gaming station, retro arcade games

License No:- DWE5903426

joanneclaire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 09, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Great start, the show sounds amazing!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 09, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4