Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 May 09, 03:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Bill & Jools return to Florida 09 Day 18

Day 18 Monday 18 May – Kennedy Space Center

We were going to KSC today. It was included in our Go Miami card and seemed a good option for us. We have not been to KSC for 4 years now and were looking forward to going there again.

It took less than an hour to get there, we parked up and went to the ticket booth. I noticed adult admission was $38, $50 buys an annual pass. We didn’t have to pay anything due to it being included in our Go Miami card and were pleased to be given admission tickets and being told they gave 2 days admission as long as the second use was within 7 days of the first admission.

We went straight to the free bus tour, which takes you around the complex, stopping off at various points along the way. We passed the huge Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) along the way. We also saw the massive tracks the crawler vehicle had left in the sand whilst transporting the shuttle.

We got off the bus at the first stop, the observation tower. Bill wanted to get a photo of the space shuttle on launch pad B. Unfortunately it was quite foggy and visibility was poor so he didn’t get his photo. This is launch pad A which is where the space shuttle took off from the previous week. The shuttle on launch pad B is always there as a rescue shuttle if another one is on a mission. The observation tower is a metal construction. The weather had taken a turn for the worse and it started to rain heavily with thunder and lightening – not ideal conditions at any time but especially if you are in what is basically a metal tower. Aha lets get out of here we agreed. So we went to get on the next bus which was already at the bus stop. Although it rained heavily all day we hardly got wet at all as there is a lot of shelter. The lines for the buses are all under cover and that cover extends over the top of the buses themselves so KSC is a good choice for a rainy day if you prefer to stay dry (as we do).

We got off the bus at the next stop which is the Saturn V centre. This was my favourite part of the tour. It started with a presentation of the US entry to the space race. We then went through to another room, which was an exact mock up of the control room from when the first successful Apollo craft lifted off (there had been some poor results up until then, and also loss of life when the astronauts of Apollo 1 were all killed in a space craft fire during their dress rehearsal the day before they were due to be launched into space. You get to experience the count down to lift off and the whole room vibrates when the countdown reaches zero. We’ve done this several times over the years and it still brings me out in goose bumps. I just love it. There are no photos from this part of the day as there is no flash photography allowed in there. After the presentation we went into the Saturn V hangar where a real Saturn V is on show. Its size is incredible. These photos show the different sections of the Saturn V.

After we’d seen everything there we went to catch the bus to the next stop. We had quite a long wait this time, even though the buses run every 10 – 15 minutes. We it eventually came and we were on board the driver apologized for our wait and went on to explain that due to the torrential rain, ditches that were bone dry just an hour before had become waterlogged and the water level had also risen dramatically in all the lakes. This had disturbed the many alligators and one had wandered right up to the entrance of one of the exhibits. All the buses had come to a stop whilst security had to get the gator out of harms way. KSC is a wildlife preserve as well as the space centre and there are no fences around any of the lakes so the gators are free to roam around. The do not normally venture far at all but the rain had thrown everything out of balance. Once on the bus and being taken to the next presentation the driver pointed out 3 manatees who were happiy swimming with 7 gators. He stopped the bus so we could see them all. It was a brilliant sight and apparently gators never bother the manatees and they swim in harmony together.

The next stop was where work is in progress on articles for the international space station. (ISS).You can see people working on parts for the ISS, and we also walked through a mock up of various parts of the ISS including some of the living quarters. Bill really liked this part of the tour although I didn’t find this part very interesting. Again there are no photos as no flash photography is allowed in there.

Before getting back on the bus I bought this little cup for our grandson, Ash.

We then returned to the bus park. It was throwing it down by this time and we decided not to do any of the outdoor exhibits. We may come back another day if time allows and if the weather improves.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 09, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post

We’ll have to wait and see. Bill took these photos of birds

We returned to the resort via Super Target (I love it in there). We passed the closed Circuit City on our way back, poor Bill I’m sure his lip was wobbling. We left our shopping in the villa and went out to Unos for tea. It was after 6 by this time and we hadn’t eaten since breakfast so we were hungry. I had mozzarella sticks and Bill had veggie soup for starters. Then Bill had a pepperoni pizza and I had sirloin tips with skinless bake. Ah we felt better after we’d eaten. We then went to Ripley‘s Believe it or not which is just opposite Unos. We had free admission to Ripley’s thanks o our Go Miami cards. I really liked it in there. Most articles are just plain silly or amusing, but there were also some good serious exhibits, such as the section of Berlin wall complete with grafitti and also drawings and history of the Titanic.

I thought this photo was a hoot. Apparently this dog liked to wear its owners false teeth. It reminded me of one of Bill’s aunt’s who had teeth remarkably like them.
We came out of Ripley’s and surprise surprise it was still chucking it down. We went to Wonderworks as again it was included in our Go Miami card. We both liked it in there. There really was loads to do. It was busy in there, no doubt due to the appalling weather. We especially enjoyed the ‘hurricane’ and ‘earthquake’ simulators. I even tried snowboarding for the first time. Shame I kept falling off .

It seemed a really good place for teens, although there is less for young children to do. I beat Bill on a test to measure how quickly you react to hit a button when a light comes on, but he beat me hands down on all the strength tests. I always scored the lowest possible and Bill was always the highest. On one test to see how strong your grip was mine didn’t even register, while Bill’s came up as ‘Crusher grip’. Anyway we had a lot of fun in Wonderworks and were glad we did it.

When we’d finished we returned to the resort watched some TV and went to bed. We’d had a really good day despite the pants weather.
Old 20 May 09, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great report with lovely photos.
Old 20 May 09, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
claireh
Excited about Disney

You are so lucky to have seen the manatees. Pity about the weather but it all adds to the experience.
June 2022 Hilton Bonnet Creek
claireh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 09, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A good day despite the weather Jools. I know what you mean about the control room - I love that part too - must have been all those launches as s kid and of course Apollo 13! I love the cup it's so cute. poor Bill having to pass his beloved CC!

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 09, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
a great day and pics
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 09, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Glad you had a great day despite the weather. Great photos of KSC, we are hoping to visit there next year

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14

Edited at 08:36 AM.
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 09, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleB
Imagineer

Shame about the weather, but sounds like a good day! Amazing about the gators, fancy them going for a wander around the facility! Glad they don't hassle the manatees, they look like they wouldn't stand much chance against an aggressive gator!

We had a great day at KSC, so much to see.

WDW Feb 2007 Bahama Bay
Beach Club/HRH/ Bella Piazza condo Oct 2010 New York April 2012
HRH and OKW August 2014. Boston, White Mts and Maine 2016
Planning for California Sept 2019
MichelleB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 09, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Aw Bill is trying to turn Ash into a Trekkie

I'd have loved to have seen the gators and manatees swimming about together.
Old 20 May 09, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

That Go Miami card has come in very useful !
Love Ash`s cup ...were you`s getting Uno withdrawals lol

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List