Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
The one the kids don't know about... The Big Reveal

Pre-trip report here

The Big Reveal!

Well we have finally gone and told them and it couldn't have gone any better!

As I had said in the pre trip report, the kids were staying at my Mum & Dad's last night so we were able to finalise all the packing and do a few last minute jobs before setting the treasure hunt up for the kids imminent arrival.

It seemed quite strange and in fact it felt quite nervy! Something that I had done so much planning with and created was finally being put to the test. I had started to panic a little because all I could think of was the kids reactions to discovering the surprise and would they just shrug their shoulders and go "yeah great", what's for pudding!

I was also a little nervy that they would actually go from being ecstatic to being upset when they found out it will just be the 4 of us! You see my kids invite just about everybody they know to come with us! Katie has even said on many occasions (even last week) that next time she goes she would like to take the cats!

It was quite fun to put all the clues out in their places because I decided to put Karen through her paces! I read each clue out and she trotted off to hide them but the initial trot turned into a slow shuffle by the end once I had made her travel up and down the stairs and out to the bottom of the garden so many times!

With the clues in place right on cue the kids returned with Mum and Dad still obviously oblivious to the upcoming few hours. The minute that they came in I became this paranoid freak who was convinced that one of them was going to discover a clue before the 'game' had been announced! I was on pins watching their every step stopping them from doing just about anything other than sitting still in one place until we were all in the one room together!

About 20 mins later I could breathe I sigh of relief when I could finally announce "let's play a game of Treasure Hunt!"

Here they are reading the 'Rules!"

The first clue was a 'freebie' and it sent them to the loft to find the next. Katie walked past it (under it!) 3 times before Rees guided her with a little 'hot & cold!'

The next - " I live in the garden and I look like a clock, I don't tell the time but I tell you how hot?" sent them up to the thermostat that sits at the bottom of the garden.

From there they ended up in Katie's bedroom to find one under her pillow.

From Katie's room they went down to the dishwasher before ending up back upstairs and into the bathroom.

It was then time to find the next clue which read, "This is a place where dad likes to cook, go outside and take a look"

Back inside for 2 more clues upstairs!

Continued...
Reetser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 09, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Reetser
Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
continued

It was now back downstairs and into the lounge to find the next clue before seeing what was cooking in the microwave!

A short hop from here and they were hunting good style around the trampoline!

Good job they have plenty of energy because it was now another visit up to the loft to find the next clue. I arrived half an hour later a little out of breath!

Back down the stairs again and this time a search was on around Rees's drums.

A quick dash from here to the front door saw clue number 16 safely banked!

Another trek up to the loft to search through Katie's Doll's house.

A quick stop off again in the bathroom and then a short stop in the bread cupboard saw them hunting the final clue, number 21, somewhere around the cars.

I thought I had made this one really easy but I guess you can't always see the woods for the trees!

Continued...
Reetser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 09, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Reetser
Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
continued

STOP THE CLOCK!

The final clue was now discovered - or was it!?! Well it was clue number 21 and that was all they were hunting for around the house but the last clue read, "Take this last letter and the ones you got before, bring them to lunch and we will give you some more!"

So, the plot just thickened! They had a few moments on the floor to see if they could discover what the letters might say but being very cruel I had given the letters a very good mix up when I 'attached them' to the various clues.

There was only one thing to do now and that was to go and get some lunch so that we could start 'part 2'. They put all their clues out on the tables and then they were given the final set of instructions.

After Rees had read the passage out, Katie started by finding all her yellow numbers and as she did she wrote over the top with the letters she had found.

Next it was Rees's turn to add his letters.

Once he had completed all his letters and the words were now formed he read it out aloud one more time.

This was their reaction!

I think at this stage they just couldn't believe it and kept questioning it!

Still muttering the words "Really?!?"

Oh yeah baby, the penny is finally dropping!

YES! Completely the reaction that I had wanted. They were so chuffed! In the moments after this though it was amazing to see how they both dealt with it in their own way. Rees was buzzing and just started on asking questions like "when, how, why?" and "are we doing this, are we doing that? ", followed by saying he was 'furious" with us for keeping it from him! Get him, furious!

Katie on the other hand seemed to retreat into herself for about 20 minutes! She moved from her seat and came and sat on Karen's knee and it felt as if she just needed a bit of time to actually compute it in her little head what had just gone on and what it all meant!

I think this picture just snapped her at the time it started to dawn on her!

Pleased that it was all out in the open we sat down to enjoy our Sunday lunch and talk about all the things we would be doing (keeping a few surprises back of course!)

After lunch we headed back home and pulled out all the cases that had been hiding in our en-suite! We sat and went through their hand luggage bags and sorted through which pins they were taking to trade and which they were leaving behind.

By 8pm they were both tucked up and hopefully if they were not too excited they should get a decent nights sleep before our 6 am taxi!

Time now for me to sign off and get my last minute preparations sorted. See you all in 3 weeks for the rest of the trip report!

SEE YOU REAL SOON!

Day one can be found here

Edited at 05:14 PM.
Old 2 Aug 09, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Have a great time! Brilliant photos.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 09, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Fabulous post-I LOVED reading this. We have done many treasure hunts over the years, it's such fun. Make sure you keep all those photos of your gorgeous kids somewhere special so they can relive the surprise! Have a fabulous holiday-we'll look out for you next week!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 09, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Ohhh that is amazing. I had tears in my eyes reading it - how magical for them.

Have the most amazing time

Sarah x
Old 2 Aug 09, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdtob
Excited about Disney

loved it! Their faces were a picture! Hope you have a great time!
mrsdtob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 09, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Well done and love to you all we enjoyed today watching their faces when they first realised where they were going tomorrow. Hope you get a good nights sleep and we just want to say you are wonderful parents to our grandchildrenand we are very proud of you. We are sat watching dvd no.2 at the moment enjoying reliving our great holiday. See you via web cam take care.xx
Old 2 Aug 09, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Torsie24
Very Serious Dibber

Torsie24's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Awww, how wonderful!

Have an amazing trip!
2012-DLP-HNY 2014-DLP-DLH 2015-DLP-DLH 2016-DLP-DLH 2017-DLP-SLGF 2017-DLP-RUNWEEKEND
Torsie24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 09, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Maggiemae
Apprentice Imagineer

Maggiemae's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That was fantastic - your photos are great and the looks on their faces as realisation dawned was priceless. Have a great holiday.
Maggiemae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List