Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sarah and Rachel do Hawaiifornia, July 2009 - Day 1

The cast:

Me (Sarah) 24 – Disney addict and holiday planner extraordinaire

Rachel, 21 – Lover of sleeping in late and not doing a lot else. Partial to a little Disney. Oh, and my little sister.

Day 1 - London to San Francisco
Monday 13th July

We both slept really well and our alarms went off at 5.45am (ouch!) followed quickly by the wakeup call we had forgetten we ordered, just to make really really sure we were up!

We showered and quickly dressed and were out of the door by 6.40, picking up the complementary newspaper on the way out - a nice touch. We really liked the Radisson and would definitely stay there again. ..good thing since we would be back to spend the night at the end of the holiday!

Shuttle bus came at 6.45 and we arrived at Terminal 1 at about 7am. We had tried and failed to check in online so had to check in again and were given 'departure management cards' and told to collect our boarding passes at the gate. This made me really nervous that we were somehow bumped off the flight because we've never had this before. We found the United check in system rediculous overall; We had tried to check in online, which didn't work. Then we had to use the electronic check in at the airport, which didn't give us boarding passes or let us assign seats. Then we had to do bag drop, and still didn't get our boarding passes from the staff there. Which of course meant we had to go to the staff at the gate.

That is 4 attempts at getting boarding passes - I know United is trying to save money by using electronic check in, but it just seemed to backfire in all the airports we went to on the trip, it actually seemed like there were MORE United staff needed than when they had a regular check in in the past.

Anyway, I forgot to take half the liquids out of my bag at security so I got a thorough search, serves me right really, and we were finally able to get breakfast at Cafe Nero. A quick stop at WHSmith to replace the water we had thrown away before security and we sat waiting for our gate to be announced.

We shouldn't have worried because the staff had our boarding passes printed waiting for us at the gate and we had been upgraded to premium economy! Woo hoo! so we took our seats in 23 A and B.

Lots of leg room:

Last minute texting/facebooking on our phones and we took off a bit late at 11.20am with no problems at all. We spent the first few hours reading and we both watched, 'He's just not that into you' which I had seen before but still enjoyed. We didn't fancy any of the other films showing so we watched 'The Hills' on my net book until the battery ran out and then on my iphone. We had amazing views of Alcatraz, the Golden Gate bridge and San Francisco bay area as we came in to land, and got lots of pictures before we landed at about 3pm SF time.

We had decided in advance to grab a taxi as we were fed up of waiting for shuttle buses by then and just wanted to get to the hotel. It felt lovely and hot as we stepped out of the airport to get the taxi, I love that feeling when you realise you are really on holiday! The taxi took about 25 minutes to get to our hotel on Fisherman's Wharf and cost $44+tip.

We were staying at the Best Western Tuscon Inn, which was lovely on first impressions and we were given a room on the 3rd floor, which unfortuantely only had 1 queen bed, they didn't have any rooms with 2 queens when we asked, but it didn't end up being a problem. By now, Rach was starting to feel really ill with an upset stomach - uh oh - so we rested for a while and made use of the free wireless until Rach decided that she was probably ok to go out and explore a bit.

Our room:

It was a gorgeous, gorgeous day, probably the best weather I have seen in San Francisco, about 80 degrees with a warm breeze. We had a walk around Fisherman's Wharf and up Pier 39, talking photos and enjoying the atmosphere (Well, I was. I think Rachel was feeling too ill by this point!)

At the end of Pier 39 we stopped to look at the sea lions (so cute!)

and look at the view.

We had planned to get dinner somewhere on the wharf, but Rach really wasn't feeling up to it so we grabbed some snacks and drinks from the Seven 11 by the hotel and ate them in our room instead. We made it to 7pm before falling asleep for the night!

Tomorrow; Alcatraz and shopping.

Edited at 06:11 PM.
DisneySarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow how did you manage to get upgraded? Nice pictures by the way.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkers
Imagineer

Great upgrade, hope Rachel feels better tomorrrow.

Hilton Head April 2018
China & Japan Sept 2018
Portugal Oct 18
Tinkers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 09, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
You were very lucky getting the upgrade and the views of the GG Bridge and bay look amazing.

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 09, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Wow, those ariel shots bring back some memories, though when we landed in August 2007 it was flippin' freezing! You did well to have a wander round straight after the flight, we were all really tired. Great photos, looking forward to the next one!

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 09, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Lucky you getting upgraded! Great pics! Hoping to make a return trip to San Francisco next year! Hope your sister gets better real soon
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 09, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

What a fantastic upgrade! Lucky girls. Lovely photos. You did well to stay up. Come on Rachael, get better!
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 09, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Great report! We had to make do with bog standard United seats on our flight Lucky you
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 09, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Lucky with the upgrade, great journey!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 09, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Lucky you getting an upgrade...Can't believe you were fresh enough to go walking about when you arrived... lovely photos though, It looks so warm!
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List