Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 6 Sep 09, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Special Family Holiday Day 4

Wednesday, Aug 19th Magic Kingdom

Today was down as being Busch Gardens, but last night after we got in Bay News 9 Weather on the Nines with Colostomy 9000 told us there was a 75% chance of heavy thunder due to the remnants of the now downgraded Tropical Storm Anna blowing through so we decided to save Busch for later in the holiday. We didn't want to get down there and find all our favourite rides were closed for lightning.

No alarms were set but we were still in the pool at 8:45.

The Colchesters decided to go and see some of the shops we had been going on about, so armed with my copy of Mapman's map they set off for Prime, Premium and LBV Outlets with a vague idea of meeting us later in MK. I think in the end they got no further than Premium Outlets where their cash reserves took a fine hammering.

HB was going to stay in awhile and catch up on her rest before heading to Walmart as she was still suffering from her cold/swine flu.

Us 3 and HB's stepson set off for MK about 11 with the intention of trying to stay for Spectromagic and Wishes. We decided that the ferry would be easier than the monorail for the trip over with the ECV and anyway it is traditional for the first visit of any trip, right?

Once in via the super secure bag checks we pause briefly for the traditional station picture before heading up Main Street for the traditional Partners Picture.

The first order of business was to see what the line was like for Splash, and on finding it way beyond our tolerance we picked up Fast Passes for later and instead went round to ride Pirates with it's much more sensible 15-minute wait. All day we found ourselves comparing MK to Disneyland and getting disorientated by the subtle differences in layouts. I have to say that MK Pirates is not a patch on its Californian cousin and when we did the Keys to the Kingdom tour the next week found out why, but that is a story for day 9...

Every time we have been to MK we had tried to eat in the Tomorrow Land Noodle Terrace as DS does not eat potato in any form but loves noodles. Having been before out of season in February it was never open but we were sure it would be open now in August. It was not to be, on getting over that side of the park it was once again closed, in fact it looked like they were using that space for something else. Later on I found out they have semi converted it to a table service place to try and take some of the strain caused by free dining. There was then a little 'discussion' about what else to have for lunch with my two being reluctant to offer opinions for a while before settling on pizza which lead us via the Castle's side path to Pinocchio Village Haus. The storm clouds were beginning to gather and we luckily missed most of it while eating.

After eating, during which we were entertained by watching the CM's prepare for a deluge of water and people that never came, we walked over and straight into PhilharMagic. Well 3 of us did, HBStep Son realising at the last second that his bag was still on the seat in the restaurant. The show was stunning as always, we were told on the KttK tour that this show is everything Fantasia should have been 50 years earlier but that only 6 cinemas in the whole of America spent the money to do as Walt wanted with rain, smells and surround sound.

We met up with HBSS at the exit who declined our offer to see it again with him, so instead we all went back to Tomorrow Land to see a new show to us, Monster's Inc Comedy Club. We all thoroughly enjoyed the show, it employs some of the same technology as Turtle Talk and is very clever and funny. DW and DS made it to the screens, but luckily only in the background of some other poor soul. On exiting I wanted to try another attraction I had never done before, Stitch. I think this is the only time my DS has turned a show down having experienced it in 06 with his cousin. DW and SKStep Son came on with me and wished they hadn't.

Our Fast Pass window was open now so we picked some up for Buzz before trying to cross the hub in search of Dole Whip, which would be another first. We had to wait a few minutes for the parade to clear and then were soon enjoying our first ever taste of the legendary Dole Whip floats.

As we sat and tried to eat them faster than they could melt, which was a challenge it being getting on for 100F, Rafiki and a random Raccoon appeared next to us for photos. It would have been rude to ignore them so DS and DW went over.

If you think DS and DW look hot think about these poor animals, they are 30 degrees hotter on the inside than the outside air. Once the remains of our Dole Whips were drunk we took a quick restroom break and cut through into Frontier Land to use our Splash Mountain Fast Passes from earlier. As we walked the Liberty Bell was kind enough to pose for me in front of the Castle.

This was one day we would have been happy to have been soaked on Splash, but only got mildly wet. We got some Fast Passes for Big Thunder before taking a slow stroll round to Jungle Cruise which was showing only a few minutes wait, however, after we entered the queue something must have happened as we didn't see a boat go past for a while. We waited more like half an hour for a skipper who wasn't into it this hot afternoon.

This from the queue pen just sums this ride up in a single photo.

Part 2 below...

Edited at 02:18 AM.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 09, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Part 2

As we got back to the dock my phone got a text message, before I could get it out of my pocket another arrived followed by a 3rd. The first was from my brother saying they were in the parking lot and asking where we were. The second was more serious it read "Can you please come to Guest Services we have lost our tickets on the Monorail". I thought to check the 3rd text before setting off and it read "Don't worry we've found them". Thinking this was a bit odd I checked on the phone to see when they had been sent to see the first and third were nearly 40 minutes apart and even the third 15 minutes old. I sent a reply explaining all 3 texts had turned up late and letting them know we were heading for the Hall of Presidents for a nap in the cool.

I had every intention of having a nap, but ended up watching the show. I know many of us find it a bit OTT, but I think our cousins have the right idea that they should be proud of their country and some of its leaders. I'd love to see something similar over here, but can you imagine it.

As we went in HBSS had got a text to say HB was in the park and he let her know where we were so as we came out she was sitting on the wall in the sun waiting for us. Our ride time for Big Thunder had come round now, HB was not worried about riding so of we set back round the boardwalk only to find it down with CM's saying they didn't think it was going to reopen today. Retracing our steps we went back around and into Haunted Mansion as once again storm clouds gathered. Coming off I pointed out Mr Toad in the pet cemetery to the others. Another family stopped to look and asked me if why he was there, I explained about him once having a ride where Pooh is now. They thought I was very clever until HB spoiled it by telling them about Susan Venesse's book.

The rain was beginning to fall in its huge drops now so we took shelter and had tea in Columbia Harbour House where I had the excellent Chicken BLT salad with DS's unwanted fries. We got a text that was not too badly delayed to say the Colchesters were waiting for us in the hub so we walked round to find them just about to give up and move on. We got to hear about their adventures trying to get in. Because I had purchased all of the tickets there was no way for Guest Services to trace them without me or another ticket from the batch. When I had not replied to their text they had decided to retrace their steps and on getting to the monorail platform there was their ATD ticket wallet still on the floor with not only their Disney tickets but also the Discovery Cove and Universal ones still in it. It is a good job Disney has cut back on their cleaning staff or it would have been long in the trash by the time they got back to it.

Our Fast Pass window was now open for Buzz so the 4 of us went that way while the Colchesters and HB went to Philharmagic with us planing to meet outside it afterwards. Buzz is another ride that does not compare well with Disneyland, and nor did my score although it was good enough to win among us 4.

On reaching Philharmagic the others were not out so DW set off for the gift shop. When the others got out we tried to force my brother to ride Small World but he had been forewarned and jumped on the vacant ECV to make his escape, nearly running a small kid over in his haste much to the indignation of their parent. DW returned and banned the hooligan from driving for the rest of the trip.

We walked back down the path next to the Castle toward Adventure Land and somehow lost HB on the way, she will stop to take photos or look at things without saying anything. She knew where we were going but it still took some text messages to meet up by Pirates. DNiece was not at all sure she wanted to ride as she does not do flume rides, when I assured her it was just a boat ride she wanted to know why we were going on if it was "just a boring boat ride". I was reminded of Goldilocks, it was first too exciting and then not exciting enough. Their comment afterwards was that while the detailing was stunning and they could imagine it cost a fortune to keep maintained they couldn't understand why you would queue for it, but they were very happy to have ridden without a queue.

We once again went our separate ways with most going off to ride Splash and Big Thunder while we 3 headed for the hub to try and get a position for Spectromagic and Wishes. By the time we got there it was packed so we went back into Liberty Square and the disabled viewing area by the Christmas shop. Despite planning to just watch this time and not take photos I couldn't resist a few.

As soon as the parade passed we headed into the hub and managed to get a spot next to one of the flower beds to the left of The Partners for Wishes. I have no shame in saying Wishes always wets my eyes, it is simply one of the finest firework displays in the world with stunning timing to its unashamedly emotional soundtrack.

"May all your Wishes come true"

It turns out my brother agrees with me, while Spectro had left him cold (DSis-in-law and DNeice liked it) he agreed Wishes was the best display he had ever seen. They had somehow gotten into the hub after Spectro had finished right over by Splash and were only a few feet behind us without us seeing each other at all.

Once the worst of the crowds had passed we made our way down Main Street and over into the line for the ferry, this took us a while since all wheelchairs, ECVs and strollers are confined to a narrow path on the left of the main walkway. Eventually, we got across the Seven Seas Lagoon and home to our much-needed beds.

Edited at 05:52 PM.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 09, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great report with lovely photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 09, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mama267
VIP Dibber

Great trip report can`t wait for the rest of the reports x
nov 2005 bestwestern lakeside
0ct 2007 sheraton vistana resorts
nov 2009 polynesian isles resorts 2 nights in RPR too
Nov 2017 Marriott Grande Vista Resort Orlando
Nov 2017 Universal royal Pacific Resort
Nov 2019 Animal Kingdom Lodge
mama267 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 09, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
hi

another great day,lovely pics
Old 7 Sep 09, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
a great day and pics
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 09, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gem67
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
What a great day, glad the missing tickets turned up safely.

Lovely photos too!

LBVR&S Apr23/POFQ Apr22/Apr18/
OKW Apr16/RPR&OKW Aug14/OKW Oct12/AKL Aug 10/RPR&CBR Oct 09/AKL Jul 08/AKL Jul 06/
Residence Inn SW Mar 05/Nikki Bird Apr 03
Gem67 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 09, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
what a busy day! great photos, glad the tckets turned up!
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 09, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Another great report x
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 09, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Pedro
Apprentice Imagineer

Crammed a lot into that one! Great pics as well.

Peter