Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Oct 09, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

California & Vegas Sep 09 - Day 11

Friday 11th Sep

Alarm went off on que at 9am and to be honest i could have just chucked the phone out the window and gone back to sleep for the rest of the morning , however knowing we had a flight to catch and not wanting to risk missing it i was soon up, showered and getting ready.
We were all ready, packed up and sadly checked out by about 10.40, and got a taxi to the airport for $20 and only took about 15 minutes or so. I found check in really strange, maybe its a bit of a common thing in the US but i've never experianced it before and we checked in OUTSIDE the actual building, my larger case was 7lb overweight so i was asked to move some items into another bag which was quickly done (a couple of pairs of shoes and it was sorted ) and boarding passes issued we continued into the building and through security which was quick and painless.
It was only 11.20 and our flight wasn't till 12.40 so with a pizza hut spotted we decided on some chicken wings to eat, along with Darrens burger addiction on this trip we also seemed to be going through a chicken wing craze too.
With chicken wings eaten we grabbed some sweets & newspaper from the shop and went to wait at our gate till boarding. Soon on the plane and sadly we were leaving Las Vegas, hopefully it wasn't the last time we will see it.

And it wasn't long before we were almost landing in San Diego, the flight went really quick as soon as we were in the air it felt like we were getting ready to land again.

Off the plane and luggage collected we headed out the airport to get a taxi to our hotel for the next 3 nights, The Manchester Grand Hyatt. Unfortunately the hot weather in Vegas wasn't here, ok so it was still hot but it was cloudy as i don't think near the 100 degrees we had for the last few days .
In the taxi which only cost $15 unfortunately we had the most miserable taxi driving, infact he grunted a couple of times and thats all we heard of he's voice, we were at the hotel and checked in by 2pm, as we won't have long in to explore San Dieo we pratically dumped the cases, I chucked my flip flops in my bag as I had a feeling my feet were going to start to ache today (see for those who have noted my shoes i do sometimes grab my flip flops too lol )
We were back out by 2.30 and went straight to the Seaport tram station across the road and purcahsed our 3 day metro cards for $12, we got the tram a couple of stops and headed towards the Harbour area walking up towards the USS Midway and where to get the ferry over to Coronado island.

Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 09, 01:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

We decided to get the ferry over to Coronado island, hoping i won't be sick as the last time i was on a boat i came VERY close to being sick, infact the whole time i was on the boat i was just desperate to get off it was so bad. A little sicky feeling but thankfully nothing too bad we were soon arriving at the ferry landing on Coronado island.

We had a little walk around checking out some of the shops, before deciding we were both hungry and chose Lil piggy's bar-b-q as i fancied yet more chicken wings and thought they were bound to have them on the menu

Chicken wings found and ordered along with pulled chicken with me and pulled pork for Darren both with a coke & pig tail fries. I really enjoyed the food here, unfortunately Darren wasn't took keen.
Food ate and $35 bill paid we headed out and continued to have a walk around.

It was gone 6 by now and we decided to see if there was a cinema close to the hotel and go watch Final Destination 4 as we wanted to see itw hile we was in Anaheim but didn't get the time, so we got the 901 bus back to the San Diego downtown area and got back to the hotel around 7, and took some pictures of the view from the room (sorry no actual room pictures from this hotel for some reason).

I rang down to concierge to ask about a cinema and he told me of the local 2 and found out the times for me, we only had till 8 to get there so we quickly freshened up, and headed back out to the cinema at Horton plaza, the shopping centre in the downtown area.
We finaly got to the cinema just gone 8 purchased our tickets which were $3 more than the normal price as it was a 3D showing, grab our glasses and quickly brought some popcorn (which was salted because apparently they don't do sweet in the the US, umm they don't know what they are missing) and an extremely large pepsi and finally headed into the theatre and found 2 seats which was difficult as it wasn't too busy.

The film was finished by around 9.30 and although not too late we had been up for quite a while and were both feeling a bit tired so walked back to the hotel so we could just relax for the rest of the night infront of the tv.

Edited at 01:16 AM.
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 09, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

WOW! Amazing pictures of the strip from the air!

San diego looks lovely! Great report cant wait to read the rest,

Thanks for sharing
Old 2 Oct 09, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Really looking forward to seeing San Diego now after seeing those photos.
I will say one thing Sarah...being ill certainly didn't interfere with your appetitie...LOL
Thanks for another fantastic report and photos
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 09, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Really looking forward to seeing San Diego now after seeing those photos.
I will say one thing Sarah...being ill certainly didn't interfere with your appetitie...LOL
Thanks for another fantastic report and photos

to be honest it never really does, have to admit to loving my food
Old 2 Oct 09, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Looks great Sarah. I haven't been to San Diego and am really quite interested in it now Hurry up with the typing
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 09, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Pedro
Apprentice Imagineer

Great shots of the strip on the way out Sarah. A free bonus!

Peter
Old 3 Oct 09, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
another great day
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 09, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Oh San Diego looks fab, you really pack a lot into each day!
Love the photos from the plane
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 09, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Really enjoyed your trip reports and this is the best one yet...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List