Imagineer

California On A Shoestring - Sept 09 -Day11 USS Midway

Day 11 USS Midway
Thursday 17th September

Cast

Me (41) - Phil - Chauffeur, tour guide & timekeeper

DW (42) - Mandy - trip planner, chief Ironer, generally goes with the flow

DD (18) - Natalie - Vegetarian, fussy eater, self conscious

DS (14) - Nathan - Loves to eat, never stops talking & loves all theme park rides

Alarm went off at 08:00, believe you and me, by now these beds are really getting difficult, to want to get out off, there just so comfy. Decided to let DD & DS sleep, while me & DW got ready, finally waking them around 08:35, by the time they were dressed and breakfast taken it was around 09:20 when we left the room.

For the 2nd day running, joined the I-5 south back to San Diego, the carpool lane served it's purpose, as it was quite congested this morning, especially around where the I-5 meets the 405 freeway.
Around Carlsbad, ran into further congestion, although moving, warning signs, notified of accident ahead.
The accident was actually on the slip road to exit the freeway, which had a particularly sharp bend to the right, where a semi-tanker unit on the inside lane, had obviously carried to much speed into the bend, and overturned landing on top of a black sports car passing in the outside lane, almost certainly killing any occupants inside, as believe me there was not much left of the car.

We exited the I-5 in San Diego at the exit sign posted, cruise ship terminals, which led us straight across Pacific Highway onto Harbor Drive, where the parking lot is located on the former Navy Pier adjacent to the USS Midway at a cost of $10 per 10hrs.

The ticket booths are located, right next to the ship, admission prices adults $18 and $9 dollars for children, although DW had a voucher saving us $1 per person, so $4 saved, every little helps.

We made our way up the stairs to board the Midway on it's main hangar deck, there is a lift to assist, but you do need to be fairly agile to visit, as certain parts of the ship, especially the superstructure have steep narrow stairs, remember it's a warship, it was not built for comfort.

On entering the hangar deck, you are invited to have your photo taken in front of SNJ Texan aircraft, these are available to purchase at a cost of $20 for 2 photo's, with all proceeds going towards the preservation, up keep of the carrier.

The Audio Tour Map you are given on boarding, estimates the tour takes approximately 3.5 hours, but in my opinion to do the ship justice allow yourself a good 5hrs, our visit lasted 6hrs, but still felt, we could have spent longer on there.
As you walk around the Midway there are numerous volunteers, wearing yellow & red hats, most of which are ex- servicemen or pilots, who have many a fascinating story to tell about life aboard with a passion and enthusiasm to match.

We collected our Audio Tour Pod & headphones, before commencing to follow the tour as set out on the guide, numbered 1-62, obviously as you reach each location or aircraft, you input the relevant number to start the commentary. Therefore you do not necessarily have to follow the guide laid out.

The first areas visited were the Berthing Spaces & then Forecastle.

also off the hanger deck were stairs down to Engineering and the Brig.

The City At Sea deck, was home to the Laundry, Sick Bay, Chow Line, Post Office, Mess Deck and Machine & Metal Shops to name but a few.

Also on board there are 26 aircraft, that have served form the Midway, the main of them been located on the Flight Deck.

SBD Dauntless

TBM Avenger

The above two aircraft are located on the Hangar Deck.

F/A-18 Hornet

TOPGUN - F14 Tomcat

F9F-8P Cougar

E-2 Hawkeye

F-8 Crusader.

EKA -3 Skywarrior

Cont'd

1996 All Star Sports (Florida) 1998 Sheraton Anaheim (California)
2001 Carousel Anaheim (California) 2007 Disney's Port Orleans Riverside (Florida)
2009 Sheraton Park, Anaheim (California)

2009 - California On A Shoestring - Trip Report
2012 Azul Sensatori, Riviera Maya (Mexico) 2013 El Dorado Seaside Suites, Riviera Maya (Mexico)
2015 All Star Sports (Florida) 2016 Anantara Hotel & Resorts (Dubai)
2016 Azul Sensatori, (Jamaica)
travelmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
travelmam
Imagineer

Huey Gunship

Foreground SH-2 Seasprite, Middle H-34 Seabat, Background S-3 Viking

H-46 Seaknight

Taking the weight of their feet in the Seaknight

Corsair II on catapult

The picture above shows a Corsair II on the catapult system, which helps to launch the aircraft from the carrier. The reason the seats are there, is that a short lecture is given by an ex-pilot, with regard to how the system works, also towards the aft of the flight deck, at lecture is given on how they retrieve the aircraft, which are both made very interesting through the pilot who's giving the talk experiences.

The flight deck is also home to the Island Superstructure, which houses the Bridge & Primary Flight Control.
The Superstructure is only accessible, through a guided tour, which is included in the admission price, where you are taken round in small groups of around 20. The reason for this, is the Superstructure, is quite a confined area, with some very steep stairs,and limited headroom.That said it must be done, as the view from Primary flight Control, is great, but also gives you a real appreciation of the limited space they have to launch & retrieve aircraft.

View from Primary Flight Control

View from the Bridge

After visiting the Superstructure, we headed back down to the Hangar deck, as we had now completed the tour of this magnificent ship.
We handed our audio tour pods & headphones back, before collecting our pic's that we had took in front of the SNJ Texan, finally leaving the ship some 6hrs after boarding.

We were going to visit Seaport Village, but time had beaten us, as it was shortly after 17:00, and had already decided to eat at Bubba Gumps at the Garden walk this evening, so we decided to head straight back. Journey back took a little longer than the previous day, due to leaving in the rush hour, arriving back around 19:00.
We had a quick shower and freshen up, before heading to Bubba Gumps around 20:00. On arrival had to wait around 5mins before being seated as was very busy.

We ordered an Run Across American Sampler between the four us for starters.

For mains DD & DW had Captains Fish-n-Chips

DS, All American Hamburger & fries

Me, Bubba's After The Storm " Bucket of Boat Trash"

Total bill was $102.36
This was the 1st time we had being to a Bubba Gumps, the setting and the atmosphere was great, and the food was good, although, I prefer the Cheesecake Factory.

Back to the hotel, where myself, DS & DD, went in the Spa pool for the last 30mins before closing, before heading back to the room, finally retiring to bed at 23:00.

1996 All Star Sports (Florida) 1998 Sheraton Anaheim (California)
2001 Carousel Anaheim (California) 2007 Disney's Port Orleans Riverside (Florida)
2009 Sheraton Park, Anaheim (California)

2009 - California On A Shoestring - Trip Report
2012 Azul Sensatori, Riviera Maya (Mexico) 2013 El Dorado Seaside Suites, Riviera Maya (Mexico)
2015 All Star Sports (Florida) 2016 Anantara Hotel & Resorts (Dubai)
2016 Azul Sensatori, (Jamaica)

Edited at 07:40 PM.
travelmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

It looks like you had a wonderful day, this is a fantastic ship and I know the views from the flight deck are fantastic.SD is my fav place in the US and I wish I was back there now
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Great photos again. My dh would love this museum and I am sure we would enjoy it to.. It looks like a man's dream with so many aircraft etc..
Old 13 Oct 09, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Another great read. Photos are great too, looking forward to the rest .
Old 13 Oct 09, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow another great but busy day. You would not pay me enough money to go below deck let alone in the brig (claustrophbic!)

Great photos!
Old 13 Oct 09, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great report with lovely photos.
Old 14 Oct 09, 06:22 AM  
Link to this Post
TiggerD
Imagineer

TiggerD's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Wow great pics oh and you would not get me on the glass floor
TiggerD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 09, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
woolamstiger
Excited about Disney

woolamstiger's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
What a brilliant day DH and DD's would love it here pics are great
Old 14 Oct 09, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post

What a great ship, will definitely have to visit here on our next visit, great pics too.Thanks for sharing.