Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 16 Oct 09, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynn38
Very Serious Dibber

Anaheim, Hollywood, Long Beach and Mariner – Hollywood 02

Well today was the day Tony was looking forward to the most – a trip to Universal Studios. We got up nice and early, but not too early as the park didn’t open till 10am. We decided to have a quick and light breakfast so headed over to Starbucks in the H&H for a coffee and muffin.

We then headed over to the Metro, which was literally next door to the H&H. Universal City was only 1 stop and $1.25 (single way each) so we figured this was much easier than taking the car.

Metro came in about 5 mins and was very easy and clean. The problem came when we got off the metro, as we already knew we had to take a trolley to the Studios themselves, but we had no idea where to catch it from. The signage led us one way, whilst we could see the tram the otherway. Tip: head to where the trams are near the huge Universal City sign and ignore the signs.

Once on the trolley it took us up a huge hill to the entrance of CityWalk, which we had to walk through to get to Universal Studios.

Finally we were there. There was a bit of a mix up with getting the Virgin Holidays vouchers changed though. We queued in the main admission queue only to be told we should be over in another area altogether – the guest services booth itself was closed so we had to go to another and the name (which escapes me at the moment) was so random that we would have never have know to come here. Because of this we missed the opening which I wasn’t happy about but there you go.

We decided to head to the Tram Studio Tour part first, as I had heard this is where the queues can really build up. We figured we could get this out of the way first and then spend the day leisurely wandering around the rest of the park and rides.

The view on the way was incredible, and Tony was extremely excited to see the set of Back to the Future (the clock tower) below – his favorite film.

We were really lucky and managed to get on the 2nd trolley of the day, with only a 10 min wait.

Off we went, passing quite a few sound stages first – the majority of them being used by CSI. Unfortunately didn’t see any stars loitering around. We did pass quite a few Winnebago’s though, so I’m sure they were all hiding in there.

We did pass the office which used to belong to Alfred Hitchcock.

carolynn38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 09, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynn38
Very Serious Dibber

Anaheim, Hollywood, Long Beach and Mariner – Hollywood 02 co

We passed quite a few stages in construction, and although we didn’t get to go round where ‘Back to the Future’ was filmed (filming was in progress in the area) I’m sure it was behind here somewhere.

We also went over the famous collapsing bridge, which I also remembered from coming here over 20 years ago, as well as a few ‘famous’ cars, but I don’t think they were ‘actual’ ones – just replicas.

We also passed some amazing dancing cars, the flooding river, and of course the ‘parting of the water’ which I again remembered from being a small child.

We also passed through a Mexican themed area, which we had to be quiet as they were filming. They did say the set had been used for many films and TV programs, inc ‘Brothers and Sisters’ which is one of our favorite shows – in fact, I’m sure we saw the famous fountain that was used in one of the most recent episodes. We also did the Metro station / earthquake stop which was excellent – very similar to Orlando actually. Then it was past Jaws…

We also skirted past the Wisteria Lane set and although they were filming, didn’t see anyone we recognized.

Next up was the Bates motel, before heading to the War of the Worlds set. Now this was excellent but as it was Halloween, they had started to ‘theme’ the park – not too sure about all the bodies handing around……………..

carolynn38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 09, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynn38
Very Serious Dibber

Anaheim, Hollywood, Long Beach and Mariner – Hollywood 02

I have to say the tour was excellent and we both really enjoyed it. We would have loved to have done the VIP experience so we could have got closer to some of the closed sets, but it was just a bit too expensive for us at this time………. But I’m sure we will be back

Next up had to be the rides. As we were on the upper lot we decided to check out the new Simpsons ride. Neither of us knew what it was exactly, but it was only showing a 20 mins queue. Unfortunately, unlike Disney the queue times seem to be underestimated, rather than over, so it was more like 40 mins. It didn’t help that once inside, there was another 10 min wait. We really hoped the rest of the park wasn’t going to be like this.

The ride itself though was excellent – great fun and I would have liked to have done it again if the wait had been a little shorter. We decided to head towards the lower lot, as it seemed smaller and contained the bigger rides ie Mummy, Jurassic Park etc. We figured that if we were going to have to queue, we may as well get the ‘better’ rides out of the way first. Now we had to ride the massively long escalators that I have heard everyone talk about.

First up was The Mummy, but first we used the lookers which use the automated fingerprint system. This seems a great idea but I’m sure it must get very busy in high season. Well, would you believe it, The Mummy was a walk on – no queue at all!

Now this had been my favorite ride in Orlando, and although it was quite good here, it wasn’t a patch on the other version. It was much shorter for one thing. When we got back into the station there was no-one waiting, so we asked to ride again but they wouldn’t let us, so we had to walk all the way out and back in again. I think this was longer than the ride!

We then went on to watch the show - Special Effects Stage. Which was just starting, and which was very good. We also saw the Backdraft show. Finally it was onto Jurassic Park which was also a walk on – result!

We were getting a bit puckish now, so grabbed a bite to eat before heading back up to the upper lot. We were trying to rush so we could see Shrek 4-D and luckily we made it. Now I couldn’t remember much about this from Orlando so it was great to see it again. Next up was Universal’s Animal Actors which was excellent. What was even better was just before we went in there was a stand selling Dippin Dots, my all time favorite ice-cream snack so I just had to get some Cookies and Cream to eat whilst watching the show.

It was then time to head out and make our way to the last showing of Waterworld. I have to say the waiting for this has to be the best ever, as they were splashing water all over the place, even getting those just coming in with a hose pipe. It was hilarious – I’m just glad we didn’t come in late or sit in the soak zone! People ware absolutely drenched.

The show itself was very good, definitely not one to be missed. I won’t give it away but I thought the ‘crash landing’ at the end was fabulous.

Old 16 Oct 09, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynn38
Very Serious Dibber

Anaheim, Hollywood, Long Beach and Mariner trip report –

After the show finished, there was only about half an hour to go before the park closed, so we decided to head out to City Walk and miss the mass exodus. On the way Donkey decided to have a bit of a chat…

We had a bit of a wander round before deciding to have a rest at Karl Strauss Brewing Company. We had a couple of beers first, before we noticed the samplers that were being ordered and brought out – Tony just had to try one.

Thankfully we had free wi-fi here, so I was able to use the iphone to catch up on emails etc. We then went for a bit of a walk around. I have to say I was thoroughly impressed with it here, and would have loved to have come back. I also managed to get my Ugg books for $150 which are £160 at home – and some other bits and pieces.

There was so much choice for places to eat that I let Tony decide, and he went for Bubba Gumps. Good choice as I ended up with a shaker of Pomegranate Margarita – yum!

We then decided it was time to head back. As the courtesy trolley to the bottom of the hill had finished, we asked about a taxi back to the hotel, but it was about $20, so we decided to head back down the hill ourselves and get the metro.

We had an early start the next day so it wasn’t a massively late night.
Old 17 Oct 09, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Great photos at Universal!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List