Notices

Old 22 Mar 10, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post

California, Here We Come - July / August 2010

Ok, I know, not the most original of trip titles. I imagine it's been used many times before, but bear with me. It's been a long day, I'm all out of imagination for the day and I'm hoping something will happen on our trip that will suggest a good trip title. As the trip is not for another four months, then you'll have to put up with this one until then. Sorry about that!

So, the trip?

The idea for this trip came about during our last trip to Florida in 2009. I don't know about you but being on holiday always makes me want to plan more holidays and I was talking about our 2010 trip before we even came home.

After two trips to Florida, I was keen for more, but OH was reluctant to return just yet. He has this strange idea that you should visit lots of places in your life, not the same one over and over. Actually, I agree with him, but the draw of Florida is huge.

So... a compromise was in order. Where could we go that was new and different but still had a little bit of that Disney magic? Hmmm... how about the original venue for a Disney Park... California.

We were all quite keen on the idea and I was looking for prices almost as soon as I got off the plane. We were lucky enough to have a few pounds worth of Tesco vouchers saved up and converted these into Virgin vouchers - £3300 of vouchers which was a nice starting point. We didn't want to spend loads more. OH had been made redundant in 2009 and although he had a new job, he didn't know how long it would last. We booked pretty much the cheapest hotel in Buena Park with Virgin - the Holiday Inn. It looks decent enough on the website and as long as it's clean, then that's good enough for us. After all, we don't go on holiday to sit in a hotel room.

After deciding where we would like to visit we decided to spend a couple of days in San Diego to save having to drive there more than once. It worked out cheaper to book a hotel room separately than to book several hotels via Virgin, so we duly booked a couple of nights in San Diego via Hotwire - guess what, another Holiday Inn.

A couple of months ago, when reading West Coast trip reports I became a bit excited by the idea of visiting Las Vegas as well. I broached the idea to OH and he was very keen, not so much because he wanted to visit Las Vegas but because he LOVES driving and was very excited about the idea of a long-ish drive in the USA. In fact, we have a savings account in existence just for our dreams of someday driving all across the USA so we decided this could be a sort of mini trial run - I'll let you know how it goes!

Playing around on Priceline, about a month ago, I erm, accidently booked 3 nights in Vegas in the Trump Hotel. It wouldn't have been where I'd have chosen but it looks nice enough. The only downside is that we need to go there the very next day after we arrive in the USA. Will OH feel up to driving that far the very next day? Only time will tell but it's too late to change it now!

We haven't really decided what to do in Las Vegas yet. We won't be gambling (is it silly to go there and not gamble?) as we're taking children but we're planning on doing more family friendly stuff - the fountains, seeing animals, circus etc, just seeing the sights really.

In San Diego we want to visit Seaworld and San Diego zoo, plus maybe the trolley tour of the city.

In LA we hope to visit Universal Studios, Santa Monica beach and pier, Knott's Berry Farm and also to do a tour. Oh, and maybe a day or three at a little place called Disneyland.

It'll probably be a busy trip but we don't really do sitting about. Even on our 'rest' days we like to do something or go somewhere. Luckily the kids are quite adaptable.

Even before we set off, we're having a mini trip. We fly from Heathrow on 26th July (a Monday) but we're flying down to London from Newcastle on the 23rd July (almost as soon as I break up from work for the summer holidays - British Airways permitting!) and plan to spend a couple of days there first seeing the sights. DD and I have tickets for Oliver! too. Can't wait!

So far, we have booked hotels and flights but that's about it. We still need park tickets, car hire and to save up some spending money. We also need to look into getting Oyster cards for London transport. We have some Tesco vouchers to swap for London Bus Tour tickets or entry to a couple of attractions and will still need to look into that.

So that's what we plan, now who are we?

Edited at 05:28 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 10, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post

So, the five of us are...

Andrew, currently 42 but will be 43 by the time we go. Chief bag carrier, stroller pusher and baby minder while we are on big rides. Hates rollercoasters and loves waterparks, driving and talking to random strangers while we're on rides. Hoping to see some big trucks (again!). He always looks grumpy in photos as he hates having them taken but he's not really (well not ALL of the time!)

Myself, Rachel, 35 but will turn 36 the day after we arrive in the USA. Chief planner and organiser, DIBB fanatic and disney obsessive. It's sad but I spend my days planning our next holiday. Love all the rides and shows, but I'm a bit scared of driving in foreign countries (or even being driven by someone else!)

Daniel, 15 but will have his 16th birthday while we're away. Typical teenager in that he has days when he just grunts and talks in one syllable, but he's pretty nice on the whole. He finishes his GCSEs this summer (he's already done 3 but has 9 more to sit in May / June so this holiday will be a nice reward for all his (I hope!) hard work.) Likes rollercoasters, not so keen on parades, shows or "baby rides". Can't think why!

Hannah, 11, likes Tigger and Tinkerbell. Likes to get her own way and wants to do everything in life! Loves swimming, Disney channel, all rides and shows. Can't think of anything she doesn't like!

And last but not least, Tom, 2. Boy, is he hard work! A little bundle of energy and determination but he is quite cute and sweet (when he's asleep usually!). Loves Mickey and Donald though he was terrified when we met them in Florida.

So, that's us. I hope we didn't bore you too much and we welcome all of your hints, tips and advice on our first trip to California!

Edited at 09:57 PM.
Old 27 Mar 10, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Oooh sounds like a good one! It's very exciting going to new pastures isn't it, I'm sure you will love it, even the cheeky chappy! That's very sneaky fitting in a London trip as well, and don't blame you, I love visiting London too.

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 10, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

Sounds like a good trip. looking forward to reading all about it, we loved California last year
Old 27 Mar 10, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Finn family
VIP Dibber

Finn family's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
we went to LA last year and loved it. There was alot to do but we managed to do the site seeing, the disney parks, universal and seaworld. Good luck with your planning.
Current trip report:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1233648

Finn family is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 10, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Cal and Dave
Imagineer

Sounds like a good trip, can't wait for the full trip report

great photo's too

We went to California the year ds1 got his gcse results infact we got up in the middle of the night to phone the school and get them

you will love vegas
Cal and Dave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 10, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
Oooh sounds like a good one! It's very exciting going to new pastures isn't it, I'm sure you will love it, even the cheeky chappy! That's very sneaky fitting in a London trip as well, and don't blame you, I love visiting London too.
It's half exciting and half scary!

Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
Sounds like a good trip. looking forward to reading all about it, we loved California last year
Thanks. I am looking forward to it and it's nice to hear from people who enjoyed California.

Originally Posted by Finn family View Post
we went to LA last year and loved it. There was alot to do but we managed to do the site seeing, the disney parks, universal and seaworld. Good luck with your planning.
Hope we manage to get it all done. Looking forward to seeing the differences between the parks at California and Florida.

Originally Posted by Cal and Dave View Post
Sounds like a good trip, can't wait for the full trip report

great photo's too

We went to California the year ds1 got his gcse results infact we got up in the middle of the night to phone the school and get them

you will love vegas
I think we'll be home before GCSE results come out so we won't need to get up in the mddle of the night Thanks for reading!
Old 30 Mar 10, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Booked our car hire with Hertz through Expedia for the bargain price of £269 for 16 days. We had been looking at a full size car for £500ish and have got a standard SUV instead. According to other sites we would normally expect to pay £700 or so Hope everything goes ok with the booking!

Edited at 09:20 PM.
Old 30 Mar 10, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Sounds like a fantastic trip!
I'm almost certain KerryH booked a Holiday Inn in San Diego through Hotwire and I'm pretty sure they have comp transfers to the zoo and SeaWorld.
Despite being in Florida 3 times without a car, I actually hired one and loved driving in California. The Disney parks are great... if you are anything like us you will spend all your time saying "this is different to Florida"... about nearly everything... it isn't better or worse, just different. I still can't get over the fact there are so many fruit stalls around the parks, I've never seen a fruit stall in WDW lol
There will be lots for you all to do in LV...we don't gamble either. I put a few coins in the slot machines while Dh goes to the rest room ( which is a lot! ). We really liked the Secret Garden at the Mirage, they have white lions as well as the white tigers, dolphins etc.
Really looking forward to hearing all about it on your return x
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 10, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by purple myra View Post
Sounds like a fantastic trip!
I'm almost certain KerryH booked a Holiday Inn in San Diego through Hotwire and I'm pretty sure they have comp transfers to the zoo and SeaWorld.
Despite being in Florida 3 times without a car, I actually hired one and loved driving in California. The Disney parks are great... if you are anything like us you will spend all your time saying "this is different to Florida"... about nearly everything... it isn't better or worse, just different. I still can't get over the fact there are so many fruit stalls around the parks, I've never seen a fruit stall in WDW lol
There will be lots for you all to do in LV...we don't gamble either. I put a few coins in the slot machines while Dh goes to the rest room ( which is a lot! ). We really liked the Secret Garden at the Mirage, they have white lions as well as the white tigers, dolphins etc.
Really looking forward to hearing all about it on your return x
Thanks. That's all really good to know. Just realised I read both your trip reports - very good reading, thank you!