Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 25 Apr 10, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Easter in Mexico day 1

This trippie will be mainly photos with a little info, as my notes are very rough and hard to read and I know Mexico is not high on the list of places to visit for many dibbers but if there is anything you want to know, just shout.

We took a taxi down to Heathrow the day before our flight with Continental. We stayed at Park Inn, I got a family room for £47 by choosing the undercover hotel with Essentialtravel. To be honest, though it was rated 4 star , it really wasn't worth anymore than that, the room was comfortable , but tired looking, the Travelodges we've stayed in have been in better condition.I chose the hotel mainly for the indoor pool, which we made good use of before dinner at the 3 Magpies pub over the road. 4 mains and 4 drinks came to £35, would have been less, but the usual mon- friday offer didn't apply as it was Good Friday.

Up early (4.45am ) for our flight next morning, good job I asked for a wake up call as we all slept through my travel clock alarm
Check in was smooth and we were through security within 40 mins. We had breakfast at Dining st station, then boarded on time for our 8.20am flight.
Taxied to the runway, engines at full throttle, then everything came to a stop. Captain says there is an incident in the control tower and we may have to wait a few mins. 5 minutes later we are told that the control tower has been evacuated due to a fire and we have to wait for them to move over to the back up tower. An hour later we finally take off and I'm thanking my lucky stars we have a 3 hour (now 2 hour)connection in Houston.
The flight was fine, I thought the crew more mature than Virgins, but also more efficient. Plenty to watch on the seat back tv, though I only watched 'the invention of lying', and played suduko. The hindu meal I ordered ( as the veggie option was actually vegan) was gorgeous, best meal I've had on a plane.
The connection in Houston went without a hitch, though we'd lost an hour, we were actually at the gate with an hour to spare.
Flying into Cancun we couldn't get enough of the view- blue water, jungle as far as the eye could see, dotted with round cenotes. We were on time- 5.15pm, but the immigration hall was chocca, think several flights had landed at once, took us an hour to get through.
I'd prebooked transfers to our hotel in Playa Del Carmen, and they were waiting for us, 85 degrees when we stepped out of the terminal- lovely
Took about 40 mins to get to Playa, our hotel, Aventura Mexicana, was lovely, just as I'd seen on the net, we slung our luggage and went out to 5th ave , a few mins walk away, to find somewhere for dinner.

DH and I had our first mexican meals, the boys had nuggets and fries, I had my first 2 margaritas ( well, it was BOGOF ) a little stroll around the town then it was time for bed - well it was 2am in England.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 10, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
pepsicube
Imagineer

Busy day - love the Swan towels
pepsicube is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 10, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Your hotel and grounds look lovely ...85 degrees sounds like bliss

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 10, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracy34
Imagineer

Can`t wait to read more as Mexico is somewhere that I`ve always thought about visiting.
Would you say it`s a place for kids?

Margaritas, it would be rude not to.
Tracy34 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 10, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tracy34 View Post
Can`t wait to read more as Mexico is somewhere that I`ve always thought about visiting.
Would you say it`s a place for kids?

Margaritas, it would be rude not to.
Great place for kids,whether you just want to chill on the beach or you want something more active ( like we did) there is so much to do and see. Of course it depends on what your kids are interested in, DS11 loved it, DS13 was missing Orlandos theme parks
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 10, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kimmy
Imagineer

Wowww,your hotel looks really lovely ! Our DS and his girlfriend go to mexico soon,I ll have to get him to have a read of your trippie...
Old 25 Apr 10, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Looks lovely - thanks for posting

I love the swan towels!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 10, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List