Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
And the old Folks are Coming Again - Day 1

Day One – Travel Day – Thursday 8th October

After all the planning it’s finally here …..we’re going on holiday to the land of the mouse…here comes two weeks in the Florida sunshine…wahey! The only slight annoyance is that I have a cold and am not looking forward to flying as I am all blocked up

Mum and Dad arrive at our house around 6.45am – we had dropped DH’s car off at their house last night so we didn’t have to collect them this morning. Taxi arrived on time at 7am and very soon we were waving goodbye to our grey, miserable and cold street beginning the long day of travel with the reward of two weeks of fun in the sun awaiting us

We had checked in on-line the previous day and dropped our bags with no issues and had the seats we had requested in the bubble in PE. Onwards to security where it was queue free and we were soon through after both the men in party had dressed themselves again

Next stop was to get DH one of those really cheap breakfasts they do at the airport (!), I just had some toast and the two sensible parents who are able to organise themselves properly and eat breakfast at home just had a drink. Next stop was the Duty Free where I purchased the obligatory perfume (Amor Amor this time) and a Suzy Smith purse which I fell in love with. DM offered to buy it for my Birthday but I thought I’d see if I could get away with it and I did!

We boarded English Rose and left on time at 10.25am. The flight was long and tedious and was just a little bit bumpy a couple of times. I watched ‘The Proposal’ which was predictable but a nice easy one to watch on a plane and also started watching ‘The Hangover’ but gave up with that one. (I find it hard to concentrate properly on planes – I get distracted too easily**). Also started my first book of the holiday and did some puzzles. Lunch on the flight was either Chicken, Seafood Taglitelle or Veg & Cheese Curry and by the time it got to us at the back unsurprisingly there was no Chicken left and we all had the Seafood dish which was just about edible. I am usually a fan of airline food but today was not one of those days!

Here's DH, Ian on the plane:

And across the aisle are DM & DF:

We arrived early at 2.10pm local time and being in the PE bubble meant we were amongst the first off the plane. We went right at the immigration hall (thanks Dibbers) and were quickly through and had been allowed, once again, into the US of A! Next stop was the baggage carousel which was quite disorganised and our luggage ended up coming off on the economy carousel (they separated them into UC/PE and Economy for some reason). DM made her first visit to the restroom with the gaps – that always makes me feel right at home, if a little uncomfortable! Meanwhile DF managed to somehow trip over something next to one of the carousels and ended up on it virtually (good job it wasn’t a moving one!) and was soon sporting a huge bruise across his shins!

Off to pick up our car next and for once we hadn’t rented off the company with the longest queues….sorry line….so that was a welcome result! This was possibly one of the most persistent sales guys we have ever dealt with and was determined that a full size would not be big enough for 4 adults and luggage and we would need an upgrade but obviously we know better. I feel so sorry for first timers or just tired travellers – they blatantly lie (or exaggerate the truth at least) to you to try to make themselves some cash. DH was his usual polite but firm self and resisted all upgrade attempts and of course the car we had was absolutely fine with more that enough space for the two weeks (although one of the extra bags going home had to go in the back!)

We were out of the airport with 1 hour into the heat (and boy was it hot – record temps for the whole of the 1st week) and on our way to our home from home at High Grove for the next two weeks.

As soon as we got there had a quick look round to see if there were any changes from last year and there were just a couple – a number lock thing on the actual door instead of the key box, the furniture in the family/TV room had been re-arranged and the pool cover was on a roll (at last!). When we went out to the pool we found that the house next door had a group of youngish lads staying there and they were shouting and waving to us which worried DF & DM a bit but luckily they left after a couple of days (much to their relief). Everyone hit the cases to put some shorts on (well except me as I hadn’t shaved my legs and then we headed off to Publix for that first exciting food shop! Back to the house for a bite to eat and DH headed off to bed at 8pm with the rest of us followed closely behind at 8.30pm.

That’s it then; the long travelling day is over with relative ease. I only had hearing problems (from being blocked up) for about the first 2 hours of the flight and DF only sustained a minor injury
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 10, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Great start
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 10, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinnabon
Imagineer

Great travel day except for your fathers injury.
Looking forward to reading more.
Old 11 May 10, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
great start

looking forward to reading more
Old 11 May 10, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Quite a good travel day apart from your poor dad's accident. Hope it didn't affect him any more in the holiday.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 10, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cloud
Imagineer

cloud's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Well done, lovely pics, shame about the food, its always a problem when you sit at the back!

Seattle December 2022
cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 10, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
k l is excited
Imagineer

We were on the same flight as you only we were downstairs at the back of economy. Last year we stayed in a villa at Highgate Park but when we return to Florida in August we are staying at Highgrove. Can I ask did you go to Walmart whilst staying Highgrove and if so did you turn right and head towards 192 then have to do a turnround at some point. We passed Highgrove when we visited Walmart but we have been thinking how do you get across the highway, hope this makes sense.

I look forward even more so to your trippies as this will definately bring back all our memories. Thanks for taking the time to write them.

Karen
k l is excited is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 10, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
luxorsun71
Imagineer

Great start
Old 12 May 10, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
a great start
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 10, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
miss lumpy
Excited about Disney

looking forwards to reading more