Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 11 Sep 10, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

The codeword is banana! ~ 2010 trip ~ Day 5

Day 5 – Epcot - 18th August 2010
CAST INFORMATION:

Me (Shaun): 49, easy going, I just want everyone else to be happy, I love a good rollercoaster, I generally provide the cash for the trip, will use the code word every day at least once, my 9th trip to Florida.

Alison(aka AlisonB, fellow mod): 44, commando type park tourer, gets frustrated with everyone else’s lack of energy, will use the code word if other people don’t get going quickly enough, 10th trip.

DD#1: Alex, 17, loves mini golf and big roller coasters, does teenage attitude VERY well, frequent ‘blonde’ comments, and is expected to use the banana code word often, 7th trip.

DD#2: Laura, 15, easy going, out going, loves a lie-in, determined to try new rides this year and will probably use the code word on occasions, 7th trip.

Now, some explanation for the trip report title. Apparently I am frequently grumpy on holiday (Alison here: there’s no apparently about it – he is usually grumpy on holiday – I don’t think he likes being with us at all!) so we decided that it would be a good idea that if anyone was feeling a bit grumpy they should let everyone else know so we could avoid annoying the grumpy person any more. Well, that evolved into discussing a code word to be used and as we’re all Family Guy fans the code word we decided on was ‘banana’. (From an episode in the second series called ‘Let’s go to the hop’ when Lois and Peter are involved in some activity where they need to have a nominated safety word; anyway….I digress). So, our codeword is banana, with an optional upgrade to apricot if things are really bad!

Well, it’ll come as no real surprise that I slept right through night! Ok, I did wake up early but managed to stay put this time.

I did take a couple of photos of the local wildlife though!

Today’s plan of action is to “cherry pick” attractions in Future World following a bit of a lazy morning. It’s not for my benefit I assure you, it’s on Alison’s master plan (Alison here – so he says! I don’t schedule lazy mornings, the others just take them!)

We were all up by about 8am, and have coffee and juice in the room while getting ready for the day.

Being on the DDP we took ourselves off to the Beach Club marketplace to have breakfast. The choice here is quite limited compared to some of the other resorts but its fine for us today.

We had:

3 orange juices
1 apple juice
4 Powerades
2 yogurt parfaits (Alison and Alex – healthy lightweights)
1 plain croissant (Laura – lightweight on the breakfast front !)
1 ham and cheese omelette croissant (me)

All very tasty. Slightly bizarre having 2 drinks each when having a counter service breakfast but I think they allow for people wanting juice and a hot drink. Worked for us though – Alison insisted we picked up enough Powerades to see me through the day! LOL! I think we worked out that this lot would have been around $40 if we’d paid cash.

Another pleasant walk through International Gateway (Alison here – banana for me as ‘pleasant’ means ultra slow. Don’t they realise that hoards of other people are getting on all the rides ) and always a wry smile as we walk past the UK section with the other tourists cooing over what they perceive the UK to be like, boy are they ever in for a shock if they make it over here.

First stop is Snoarin’, only a 30 minute wait so we jumped in line (turned out to be a bit less in the end) not really my cup of tea (the others love it though) but better being on the top row with no dangling feet in your line of vision and nice to see Tiger Woods in action again. Feel a small banana coming on over this ride. (Alison here – he always has a banana on this ride, we’re used to it and just ignore him!)

We snagged a FP at Test Track as the stand by queue was way too long. Anything over 20/25 mins or so then we’ll give it a miss.
Next stop Mission:Space where Laura decides to ride the Orange side with me for a change while the others wimp out on the green side. Good as always but I felt a little queasy afterwards, mainly down to having more stomach to turn over than usual. Laura loved it though!

Alex usually does orange as well but she was throwing out a few bananas this morning and decided on green. When she’s in that sort of mood nothing I say is right so I try to say nothing at all (which is also wrong apparently!) Any other poor suffering dads of teenage daughters out there?

Nemo – subtle changes to the old Living Seas from years ago but works well with exceptional additional theming before entering the main building and nice to have the (items) re-designed as Clam Shells. Peach the starfish steals the whole show IMHO “it’s a nice song but it never, ever stops….”

Imagination – Goodness, I remember buying a Figment plush back in 1989 so it’s good to have the old boy still around in a new show although that wet hair look is a real style from the past.
Captain EO – what a blast from the past! It’s interesting to watch as an archive but means a bit of a banana for the girls as they thought it was a bit pointless and they could have been doing something else! It brought back lots of memories for us though!

TestTrack – we used our fastpasses and the ride itself is good but we know the pre-ride video off by heart now – what? Number 7? Doesn’t make the ride any less good – this is our favourite ride in Epcot.

Next it was time for a snack stop: I bag some trail mix which is a bit better than the usual budgie cage mix – even contained dried bananas which I’m not sure is a good thing or not! – LOL Laura had a frozen coke, Alex had popcorn and Alison had a cinnamon pretzel. (Would have been about $15 if we’d paid cash).

Back after this for a swim and to escape the ever increasing heat and humidity as I’m really not coping well, accompanied by a small banana from Alison although she hid it quite well! After a relaxing splash in the pool I had a bit of a lie down before we all got ready for a wander round to the Boardwalk.

As it’s that time of week we thought we’d give the DVC Welcome Home Wednesday a try as we were in walking distance of Boardwalk. I thought there would be only a few people there but the place was packed.

As we entered we were each given: -
A voucher for a drink and some munchies.
1. Flyers from Sammy Duval and a couple of other places.
2. Badges with date joined DVC hand written on
So, we all sat down in the hall with soft drinks and snacks as they picked people to play a DVC version of Jeopardy. Time passes and various spot prizes of “much prized” DVC pins handed out to the smug people who have been swotting up on Disney trivia, however I’m not included in that elite group. (Alison here – did you all detect the banana there! )

And then…..that it after a brief sales pitch about SSR points still being available …..hmm, I wonder why ? – LOL

As we left we were all given a white DVC hat.

Overall, I’m glad we went out of curiosity rather than always wondering what it was like but probably wouldn’t go back again.

We had a quick look at the re-vamped Boardwalk DVC rooms – I’ve never really been a big fan of pastel coloured rooms but we’ll stay here one day to complete the set. Alison thinks we’ll really like it, so let’s wait and see.

Quick mooch round the shops and back via mucky duck and dead fish, sorry, Swan and Dolphin, swerving in and out of conference delegates.
Back to the sanctuary of Beach Club Villas for a swim in the pool and more relaxing before going out to eat.

Tonight it’s the San Angel Inn in Mexico so another nice promenade to Epcot and away we go. The food was best described as good but not much of it and a bit too much style over substance but the service wasn’t brilliant. I’m always suspicious of food served in dimly lit areas!
I settled on a Bohemia beer to start – about 5% but a bit thin and eminently chuggable The ladies all had various sodas.

2 x Rib eye tacos (Grilled ribeye served over flour tortillas topped with a red bell pepper sauce granished with scallions and avocado)

1 x Pollo a las rajas (grilled chicken breast served over red peppers, onion strips, cream sauce, and fresh cheese)

1 x Camerones al Ajillo (Crispy shrimp with Guajillo sauce, served over cold potato salad)

Desserts were:
1 x Moras con Cajeta - chocolate mousse with mixed seasonal berries and milk caramel

2 x Capirotada de Chocolate Blanco - white chocolate golden raisin bread pudding served with Mexican milk caramel

1 x Flan de Vainilla - vanilla custard in syrup, topped with roasted almonds

The bill would have been around $150 if we’d paid cash.

Food pics:

We took the opportunity to watch Illuminations, boy this gets me choked up every time. View was a little spoiled by the yet more building work around La Cantina. As the fireworks were going off you could see a silhouette of someone on the scaffolding behind the hoarding taking pictures. Must’ve been a great view but never found out if it was a workman or someone having bunked over the fence.
Slow potter back to BCV via the International Gateway, so glad we don’t have the car park bun fight.
Alison and Alexandra watched half of Bugs Life on the big screen on the beach, which they really enjoyed as Laura and I headed home.

I sat and typed this up as Alexandra and Laura go for a late night dip.

Tonight I finish off with a Sam Adams Coastal wheat beer. It had a slight lemon / elderflower taste and great on the patio with the outside heat. It’s kind of similar to the Belgium Witbier Hoegaarden without the oomph.

The weather today: hot and sunny again

Total spends for the day: $32 plus the DDP cost

Banana meter: Several today! Alex had a few – she thinks she’s coming down with something. Alison had quite a lot, due to the rest of us not meeting her demanding pace. I had more than usual, firstly on Soarin’, then not winning anything at Welcome Home Wednesday and final a few due to the heat and humidity.

Link to 2010 trip reports: here

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 10, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Totally Tink
Getting Excited

Another great day and fab photos.

Adele

Aug 2011 - 21 days at Villa Aurora, Sunset Lakes
Totally Tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 10, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
just wondering what you'd have won if you'd mugged up on the Disney trivia?

really liked being able to saunter into Epcot from the YC/BC although I don't think I'd have coped too well with Alison's boot camp pace in that August heat...did make me laugh at the thought of you all marching though.

San Angel looks good...don't often see reviews of there...pleased you enjoyed your meal.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 10, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
loving your reports, having a good laugh !
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 10, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Lovely food pics

Love the idea of walking to Epcot, must start saving more

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 10, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Reetser
Imagineer

Reetser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
I can think of nothing better than strolling around World show case without a care in the world! I love to just amble and breath in the place!

Great food shots but a worrying amount of Bananas creeping in
Reetser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 10, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
A great day, it is lovely to be able to walk to a park whenever you want to. The desserts look really yummy.

Caron
Old 12 Sep 10, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ThumperThistle
Apprentice Imagineer

I want the food in your photos!
97,98: ASMu. 99,00,02: ASMo. 03: CB.04: POR,WL,POFQ.05: French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Dolphin. 06: Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk. 07: Royal Pacific, Swan. 08: Pop Century, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge. 09: Pop Century, Royal Pacific, Riverside, Beach Club.10: Coronado Springs,Contemporary,Hard Rock,Beach Club. 11: Coronado Springs,Hard Rock,Bay Lake,Yacht Club. 12: Old Key West. 13:OKW 14: OKW. 15: OKW. 16: Boardwalk. 17: POFQ 18:BC. 19: POFQ
ThumperThistle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 10, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Great day and pics!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 10, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great day
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List

Tags
tr-epcot