Old 20 Sep 10, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
From NY to LA - Day 4 - NY HOHO :)

31st August

Woke early again and nipped onto the laptop while everyone was still sleeping. When DS woke I passed him the laptop and the charger thingy fell off the chair along with the lead plugged into the video camera. I went to plug the camera in again when there was a big flash and it went BANG! It blew up! I was stunned and couldn't speak with the fright of it all. It also blew all the electricity in the room Luckily we had mam and dad's room to get ready in.

We caught the HOHO bus to Central Park and us 4 hired bikes at Columbus Circle. My parents went for a walk and were going to meet us by the Plaza. We were given maps and helmets and had planned to hire just for an hour for a quick whizz around. Bad move to go cycling at mid day in baking heat!

There was some filming going on here.

First of all we went the wrong way and ended up back at the starting point - so we set off again and hit some slopes which were more like big hills in the heat so DD and I cheated and walked our bikes across to the other side of the park. It was lovely walking and cycling in the park. DH and DS caught up with us by Strawberry Fields and it was quite tricky for us to find - couldn't see any signs the way we came - I had to ask someone. It turns out it was up another slope and by now we'd had enough so DH and DS went and videoed it for us! How lazy!

When we met DM and DF at the Plaza we were all a mess! It was about 96 *F and they had rushed across the park because they thought they were going to be late meeting us. We were all hot and sweaty from the cycle ride and the rushed walk the width of the park to the Plaza from Columbus Circle as we thought we were late for my parents! DH was wearing a small back pack which made his T shirt very sweaty too. Guess where we were going? Tiffany! We were going to buy DD a bracelet for her 18th - but we all looked like tramps!

Didn't find anything really that was suitable ... but DM ended up visiting the loo!

Back outside again and ticked off one of the kids "to dos" which was buying a hot dog from a street cart - it was lovely!

Caught the bus from here down to Ground Zero.

We went to St Paul's the church very close to Ground Zero which was used by rescuers as a place for food, rest and treatment for minor injuries etc. It was very moving. No photos here as I didn't feel it was appropriate. I was quite choked walking around especially seeing the fireman's uniform full of badges from brigades all around the world and also seeing the marks in the wooden pews where they lay too exhausted to take off their coats and their belts cut into the paint. This exhibition wasn't about the victims really - just the rescuers. We then walked through the little churchyard and saw the bell donated by a church in London which also overlooks the building site that is Ground Zero. New towers are being built along with memorial gardens which are going to have 2 pools where the twin towers stood and walls with the names of those who died.

We had planned to go to Century 21 but even I was too shattered to shop. We ended up going to McDonalds to tick off the 2nd thing on the kids list - go to McDonalds in NY First of all they got the order totally wrong and then they wouldn't accept traveller's cheques... but they did have someone playing a grand piano!

Back on the bus... but sat downstairs as it was too hot upstairs and we got off at the Rockerfeller Center. DM and DH walked back to the hotel but we went wanted to go to the TOTR. The lift was a bit bonkers! DH videoed it - it's like a glass ceiling onto which they project a film but you can also see coloured lights flying past as you ascend in the lift shaft! Amazing views!

It took us about 20 mins to walk back to the hotel. By this time our electricity was back on but mam and dads air conditioning had packed in so they had to move rooms. We had a bit of a rest then back out to Times Square to Applebys. The food was lovely! We had the appetizer sampler between us then I had the ultimate sampler with sliders, quesadillos and chicken wanton, DH had shortback ribs, DS ha steak and shrimp and DD had pasta and meatballs. Absolutely stuffed we left here for a final look at the sights of Times Square at night - saw the naked cowboy and cowgirl (! ) and nipped into American Eagle for a quick shop. DH and DF went for a pint on the way back and the rest of us went straight back to the hotel ... shattered!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 10, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You managed to do lots today, the cycling sounds good fun.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 10, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
vitfa
Imagineer

wow you are managing to get lots packed in L
Old 2 Nov 10, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
liverbird
VIP Dibber

New York absolutely bakes in the summer! Well done for cycling in that heat...love the photos.
Old 6 Nov 10, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
fastboysam
Trainee Dibber

Day sarted with a bang but got better despite the sweaty betty look after cycling around CP and travelling as Tramps to Tiffany's

Love how the kids tick list seems to revolve around food

Great adventure of a day!
Old 29 Jan 11, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
you def had lovely weather
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 11, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
miss lumpy
Excited about Disney

WOW Again fantastic photos

N/Y is still on my to do list of places to visit.

off to read more
Old 21 Feb 11, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
fab day
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 11, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Great Day!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 11, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Blimey - don't think I could have cycled in that weather! Sounds like another fab day was had.

Edited at 10:52 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List