Old 22 Sep 10, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
From NY to LA - Day 8 - Sedona and Grand Canyon

4th September

Left the lovely Westin Kierland after bagals and muffins from Starbucks.

This hotel is so environmentally aware that it has preferred parking spaces for hybrid cars!

There is another big suitcase under the black one. (Incase anyone wants to know how much can be packed!)

The road to Sedona was quite busy but it was Labor Day weekend. The scenery was amazing! We went through Oak Creek and so many pics were taken by 4 of us in the car that DH thought he was driving paparazzi around!

Then Sedona was a lovely surprise. My parents had been here about 20 years ago. There was an event going on because of the holiday weekend and there were a couple of stalls set up on the main street. The police and rescue services also had a meet and greet type of thing and DS has decided he wants to teach here and be a volunteer Arizona Ranger!

DF looking at more cowboy trivia:

We went for food in the Cowboy Club which was packed. I had a cocktail to start - Arizona Sunset! We all had the usual burger/chicken club sandwich - but DS had antelope burger!

Also took a pic of dessert!

to be continued...

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...

Edited at 09:50 PM.
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 10, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
Day 8 cont.

We had another 2 hour drive to the Grand Canyon, so we put another the film on (Evan Almighty as we made the mistake of playing "Step Brothers" which was a bit rude!). The scenery changed from canyons and red rock to wide open plains. There was a huge queue to get into the Grand Canyon National Park as each car was asked where they were going and then given detail instructions.

Basically we had to go to the rim and then turn left... for about 3 miles!

There is a lot of construction work going on by the visitors centre and as the path from there was closed and visitors would have to walk about 1/2 mile to the edge, people were just parking their cars as close as they could. We didn't realise this until the following day when we visited!

We headed for the Maswik Lodge and checked in.

View from balcony and DH checking his quarter collection!

We just dumped our bags in the very spacious room and walked down to the edge of the rim to take some pics of the sunset. Saw these on the way:

This one makes me laugh...she was seriously pointing out where the river would be! (We know mam! )

We went for a meal in the Arizona Room of the Bright Angel Lodge. It was very busy and we had a great server called Evelyn from the Bronx. She was hysterical. When we came out of the restaurant there were people just standing around. There was an elk grazing on the grass just outside and a ranger was there with a gun incase he charged. He was huge with massive antlers. No flash photography was allowed in case he was startled. It was quite scary when we had to walk passed him. We headed into a bar where we could hear some music being played. After a drink, DM, DD and I went for a walk around the gift shop and then decided to walk up to our hotel. We had only gone about 100 yards when we realised there were no street lights and as we'd only just arrived there we hadn't got our bearings. Then we realised we could smell animal poo and thought about the elk! We started half running back to the hotel but by this time I was laughing so much I was desperate for the loo!

(I made it!) We then went and told DF, DH and Ds not to walk back as they would get lost but to use the shuttle and we headed off to the bus stop. After about 15 mins we could see them approaching - they had tried to set off the way we came, along the rim path (there is a wall at this point!) and my dad tripped over a boulder in the dark and stubbed his toe so they decided the shuttle was safer! The stars were amazing too - never seen so many - and so bright with no light pollution.

Loved this day

Edited at 10:19 PM.
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 10, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee girl
Imagineer

Fantastic photos we are thinking off a road trip next year and your trip is giving me great information, thanks
Old 23 Sep 10, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
If you plan to go anywhere near Sedona I recommend a visit there. They also do "Pink Jeep Tours" into the surrounding area which have had great write ups. We'll definitely be going back there.

Old 23 Sep 10, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
vitfa
Imagineer

Amazing the pictures are breathtaking - tear to my eye - sounds fab day L x
Old 23 Sep 10, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Excellent day! Brilliant photos. Loving your trip report
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 10, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Stunning scenery! any photos or reviews of the food at Bright Angel lodge? I 'll be there next weekend ( feels great typing that )
Would you advise taking a torch?
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 10, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Stunning scenery

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 10, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Wow... absolutely stunning!

Would love to visit this area someday, just have to wait another few years for the kids to get older
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 10, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
liverbird
VIP Dibber

Sedona looks like a lovely place, and the photos are stunning. Loving this trippie !