Old 12 Oct 10, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
From NY to LA - Day 19 - Quest for NJ and Journey Home :(

15th September

It was a funny old day! We'd been away for so long we were looking forward to going home - but wished there was a Starship Enterprise to teleport us instead of the flight and the drive from Heathrow tomorrow!

Anyway, we packed everything up and checked out of the hotel. The boot was now full and we hadn't been to Walmart yet! Luckily we still had room inside the car if needed!

We went across to Garden Walk which was deserted. Not many shops open and hardly any customers either. The main reason for us coming here though was to go to the Cheesecake Factory. We got there at 11:30 ish and it is a beautiful place. We all just had cheesecake for brunch.

DDs red velvet:

DHs Vanilla bean:

DSs Cookie Dough:

And my Godiva (sorry for the blurry pic - I must have been excited!):

DS and DH wolfed theirs down but DD and I struggled and failed to finish. We all agreed that none of them were as good as Juniors In New York.

Next stop was a Walmart. We found it easily but it wasn't as big as any of the ones we've been to in Florida. There were loads of things for Halloween - made you wish you were having a party. Amongst other things - highlights of our shopping included I stocked Betty Crocker cake mixes (15 packs altogether including Strawberry, lemon, vanilla, white etc - the ones you can't get here ) and also a few packs of banana nut muffin mix. DS bought practically half a suitcase of Peanut butter M+Ms and DD bought a few bottles of original, red and blue Mountain Dew. We had to repack some of the cases to get everything in.

We all fancied a buffet lunch and so asked Mike the Tom Tom man where the nearest Sizzlers was. There was one about 3 miles away - but somehow we ended up in one near Knotts Berry Farm

The buffet was quite poor but the main meals were lovely. We were stuffed! DH did his usual thing of asking the cashier if they had a New Jersey quarter but there was no joy. We stopped for petrol - and for the first time he went in (we knew he was going to ask in there too!). It looked like he'd lost in his quest... although there was still the airport

It took about 45 mins to head to LAX. Why is it when you leave extra early in case there is bad traffic - there is never any? I hate the thought of rushing where transport is concerned ever since we forgot where the car was on a ferry in France. Awful feeling knowing you were holding everyone up So I keep over compensating and this time we got to the airport 5 hours before the flight

We checked in and got rid of the bags. This is a boring airport Luckily we had DDs laptop and paid for wifi which helped us pass the time away

DH carried on with his quest for New Jersey and went to the currency exchange - but they would not help. He bought a few sweets and things from the stalls and shops - but nothing.

When there was about an hour to go for the flight the wifi stopped and so DD and I decided to go to Starbucks for a coffee. We had planned to sit there for a while as a change of scenery... but guess what we had in change? A NEW JERSEY QUARTER! Honestly if I had seen this in a film I would have thought what a load of rubbish - how convenient! But honestly it happened

DD and I went straight back and sat next to DH (kicking DS to get his attention lol) DH asked me if there were any quarters in the change and I tried to keep a straight face but I couldn't I gave him the coin and he was really chuffed...BUT... for a while we weren't sure if it was real because it was coloured . We've since found out that the mint has released a few coloured coins. This one was from 1999. At last!

The flight was on time and we were PE again. I wasn't so impressed with the food choices this time and I was feeling a bit sicky so gave my beef and dauphinois potatoes to DD. I only managed the salmon and salad starter. The choux bun was awful though. They should stick to the Gu pots. Lovely cup of tea though. The last time I had one was the bag of compost in the Venetian!

I tried to watch Letters to Juliet and Princess and the Frog but I nodded off. We landed at Heathrow at 3:13pm and immigration was nuts. Loads of people, disorganised queues, renovation work, very hot - it was awful. Our bags were waiting for us and to was the man from Meteor parking who had brought our car after I rang from the baggage carousel.

Finally got home at 7pm

Highs and Lows with favourite pic from each place:

NY

High - Just being there - and cycling in Central Park
Low - Not going to see a show and no time for shopping!

Fav pic:

More to follow ...

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...

Edited at 09:56 AM.
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 10, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
Scottsdale

High - loved the hotel
Low - should have stayed there longer!

Fav pic:

Can't decide between this one - waiting for the car. It looks like my DM is resting on a cactus! lol

Or this one - my dad shopping:

Sedona

I know we only visited for a few hours but I loved it here

Highs - loved the village fete-like atmosphere
Lows - should have stayed here!

Fav pic:

I loved being here with my DF. He was in his element with all the cowboy and cowboy film trivia and memorabilia around the town. I think he was checking his hand span against some actors! lol

Grand Canyon

Highs - amazing spectacle - good location of hotel
Lows - visitor centre will be good when finished - bit of a trek to the edge from their car park.

Fav pic:

Las Vegas

Highs: Lots to see even if you had no interest in gambling - and great buffets (apart from 1!)

Lows: The noise! Especially coming from a spa hotel and then the Grand Canyon. Huge culture shock. No coffee in room!

Fav pic:

Either this one:

Or another of my dad shopping lol

San Diego:

Highs: Loved the Trolley Tour especially Coronado Island
Lows: Not enough time there - Seaworld a bit money grabbing.

Fav Pic:
All singing along to "Lets go down to the ball game" on the Trolley bus!

Anaheim

Highs - California Adventure rides.
Lows - not planning ahead to get a better view for World of Colour

Fav pic:
Has to be this one! lol

Thanks for reading!

Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 10, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mmm those cheesecakes look divine

I am so glad your Dh found his quarter, I would have loved to have seen his face.

I've really enjoyed reading your trip report, thank you for taking the time to write it

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 10, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Great trip report! Enjoyed reading it! You had a great holiday!
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 10, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Well, I've stupidly read this one first (!) but enjoyed it so much I'm going off to look for the rest

It looks like a fantastic trip, and I am LOL at your dad "shopping"
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 10, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Well, I've stupidly read this one first (!) but enjoyed it so much I'm going off to look for the rest

It looks like a fantastic trip, and I am LOL at your dad "shopping"
Thanks Karen... but now you know the outcome of the quest!

Old 6 Nov 10, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
fastboysam
Trainee Dibber

The long journey home but some amazing memories and the icing on the cake findinding that New Jersey quater.
Old 22 Nov 10, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Have read several of your reports and really enjoyed them especially as its a trip I'd love to do at some time.

Glad your Dad managed to get all his quarters, I have also been on the quest and thought I only needed Penslyvania which I managed to get on our recent trip only to get home and find I also need North Carolina, oh well definetely an excuse for another trip.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 10, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
Originally Posted by florida girl View Post
Glad your Dad managed to get all his quarters
Thanks for your lovely comments!

I know DH is getting on a bit now he turned 50 last week. But he was the one collecting the quarters - not my dad!

Old 13 Jan 11, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Superb trippie ... I've read it before and will no doubt pop back and read it through again as there's tons of info hints and tips ... xxxx

Thanks so much for sharing.

Karen.
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List