Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Oct 10, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

The codeword is banana! ~ 2010 trip ~ Day 15

Day 15 – Travelling home day – 28th August 2010

CAST INFORMATION:

Me (Shaun): 49, easy going, I just want everyone else to be happy, I love a good rollercoaster, I generally provide the cash for the trip, will use the code word every day at least once, my 9th trip to Florida.

Alison(aka AlisonB, fellow mod): 44, commando type park tourer, gets frustrated with everyone else’s lack of energy, will use the code word if other people don’t get going quickly enough, 10th trip.

DD#1: Alex, 17, loves mini golf and big roller coasters, does teenage attitude VERY well, frequent ‘blonde’ comments, and is expected to use the banana code word often, 7th trip.

DD#2: Laura, 15, easy going, out going, loves a lie-in, determined to try new rides this year and will probably use the code word on occasions, 7th trip.

Now, some explanation for the trip report title. Apparently I am frequently grumpy on holiday (Alison here: there’s no apparently about it – he is usually grumpy on holiday – I don’t think he likes being with us at all!) so we decided that it would be a good idea that if anyone was feeling a bit grumpy they should let everyone else know so we could avoid annoying the grumpy person any more. Well, that evolved into discussing a code word to be used and as we’re all Family Guy fans the code word we decided on was ‘banana’. (From an episode in the second series called ‘Let’s go to the hop’ when Lois and Peter are involved in some activity where they need to have a nominated safety word; anyway….I digress). So, our codeword is banana, with an optional upgrade to apricot if things are really bad!

We all just hate waking up on the last day . We try to elongate the last day by doing everything really slowly (doesn’t work!) but we had a leisurely breakfast on the balcony before packing the last few things up.

We took a last sweep of all the rooms and dropped the cases in the car. We’d left all our swimming gear out so that we could chill by the pool and have a good swim in the daytime for a change but the bloomin’ ducks had a different idea as they’d pooed in the pool so we couldn't swim! It took the head pool CM a while to check and double check the water quality before letting people back in the pool. When they finally let us back in the pool I raced over and took a running jump only to land heavily on my poor foot! – Ouch!

Reluctantly we left VWL at about 12 then off to Winter Summerland for our traditional game of minigolf on the way back to the airport; my goodness the place was packed! Certainly glad we’d done this couple of times at night.

Progress was slow and we had to skip out about 3 holes before we finally left for the airport at 1pm, carefully missing the exit and getting a bit lost! Had a nice tour of downtown Sanford (which is bigger than we thought!) before actually finding the flippin’ airport, just how could we have missed it? (Alison here – he was ignoring me as usual – I said take the next exit at least twice!)

Handed over the wretched car and then noticed a massive queue for Thomsons coping with 2 flights – one to Glasgow and ours to Gatwick. As we got into the airport we heard an announcement that the Glasgow flight would be delayed by 3 hours, so we felt ever so slightly smug that we weren’t on the delayed flight. Somebody in authority must have seen that smug look though, because fairly soon afterwards there was an announcement that the Gatwick flight would now be delayed and the Glasgow flight would leave on time! :angry:

Oh well, at least we had access to the Palm Lounge! We joined the Premium queue and were checked in very quickly, with the 4 cases weighing in at 15kg, 18kg, 18kg and 19kg – a grand total of 25kg underweight! The check in clerk was very surprised. People all around were either ditching items out of their bags or repacking them. Our hand luggage was weighed and was all under the 7kg limit as well.

We headed through security and then hotfooted it up to the Palm Lounge. No problem with getting in even though we had no leaflet – they just asked to see our boarding cards.
The lounge was very quiet indeed, much emptier than previously. We easily got four comfy chairs around a table.

We decide to grab some food in the lounge as the food in the food court didn’t look that great. Alison and I had chilli, and the girls had a double decker and a toastie, for a grand total of $30. We had our free beers and the girls had sodas.

We then had a boring few hours wait, luckily we had access to the internet (free wi-fi) and wandered out to duty free etc. Laura went to watch Phineas and Ferb in the little kids room! And Alex even did some homework (she was supposed to have read Madame Bovary in French over the summer but only read about 3 pages!)

Finally we were called for boarding at 7.20pm and took off at 8pm. The food was quite good but I couldn’t find any movies I wanted to watch so I took full advantage of the free wine and drinks before nodding off for a short while. (Alison here - he slept for 5 hours solid – nothing to do woth the alcohol I’m sure!) Alison and the girls watched films, played games and dozed a bit I’m told.

The flight was uneventful and after a nice breakfast, we landed just after 9am. We got to baggage return at the same time as a plane from Jamaica, so it was really quite busy but after we got our bags we were directed by customs staff to go through the EU line to clear the backlog – great stuff!

We headed out to the hotel courtesy bus pick up point, rang the Gatwick Belmont hotel and were picked up within about 5 minutes. Fantastic service! Back to the car and home by 11am.

A summary, details of $$ spent and our highs and lows will be posted next!

The weather today: hot and sunny

Total spends for the day: $46

Banana meter: none at all – typical, on our last day!

Link to 2010 trip reports: here

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 10, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great report and we to luv the palm lounge
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 10, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma Y
Put the kettle on

Emma Y's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Horrible feeling having to go home and a delay too. Have really enjoyed reading your report.

Emma
Emma Y is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 10, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

Have really enjoyed your reports Shaun (and Alison).
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 10, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
it sounds like a great trip, but I do hate the last day
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 10, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ThumperThistle
Apprentice Imagineer

Have enjoyed reading your reports, thanks.
97,98: ASMu. 99,00,02: ASMo. 03: CB.04: POR,WL,POFQ.05: French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Dolphin. 06: Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk. 07: Royal Pacific, Swan. 08: Pop Century, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge. 09: Pop Century, Royal Pacific, Riverside, Beach Club.10: Coronado Springs,Contemporary,Hard Rock,Beach Club. 11: Coronado Springs,Hard Rock,Bay Lake,Yacht Club. 12: Old Key West. 13:OKW 14: OKW. 15: OKW. 16: Boardwalk. 17: POFQ 18:BC. 19: POFQ
ThumperThistle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 10, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Have just sat and read all your trip reports, they were great. Thank you
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 11, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
sooooo hate the last day

Fab report, Thanks for sharing

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 11, 05:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Loved reading all the reports, sounds like a great trip, shame about the delay at the Airport, but hey these things happen
Old 15 Mar 11, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sungiggs
Imagineer

sungiggs's Reviews
great trippie, thanks for sharing

sungiggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List