Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Nov 10, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Tips for nervous flyers?

Hi

Sorry if it's not the right place, wasn't sure where to put it. I go to Orlando as often as I can so it's not that I won't get on a plane but I've found the older I get the more nervous I get about flying. It's not so much the terrorist threat it's the old phobia of crashing. I used to fly easily as a kid and teen...actually liked it but I seem to have given myself a slight phobia now I'm in my 30s. I'm fine during landing and flying itself but I get anxious at take off and HATE turbulence. I hate that negative g freefall feeling (don't go on rides that give it to me anymore either). I took tablets from the doc last year (mild) but we had horrendous turbulence AGAIN and even having taken them I still woke up and internally freaked. The last two trips to Orlando we've had VERY bouncy flights and I do mean genuinely bad...the time before last the plane dropped slightly and people screamed and this time my friend had to put his book down cause we were all over the place.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips for calming yourself down. Facts I could run through my head, something I could take (I have unexplained high bp so I have to be careful), techniques, etc?

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 10, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post

I take Kalms and use Rescue Remedy, they are herbal and work for me. I normally start taking kalms the day before I go. I also try to get into a good book to read or play cards with my DD.

I will be taking them for our trip on Christmas Day!
Old 1 Nov 10, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaju&bob
Imagineer

Know exactly how you feel, It is the turbulance that really gets me but not because I think of crashing, I have a fear of people being sick near me, and of feeling ill myself, so just keep everything crossed for a smooth flight. I need something to knock me out until we get there!
PO Riverside 2002 2007 2009 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 (2017) 2018 2019 2020
Animal Kingdom 2006
Floridaju&bob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 10, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Cash
Apprentice Imagineer

I am getting a bit like you as I get older. A friend of mine is really bad and takes the tables from the doctor, they work great for her because she sleeps all through any turbalance, go back to the doctor's and ask for stronger one's, she wouldnt fly with out them.
Good luck and just keep thinking of the fun you are going to have when you are over there
Old 1 Nov 10, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post

hi . im glad im not on my own i too have got worse as i get older. i try a few beers before a flight. but i dont like the feeling of not being in control... i wish i could tell you how i get through it but i take each flight as it comes remmember the pilots and crew have families so im sure they wouldnt do it if it was dangerous
Old 1 Nov 10, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbell1971
Apprentice Imagineer

tinkerbell1971's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
hi, my mum went to the doctors and she had tablets as mum is a very nervous flyer. i would like to say though you are safe as houses when flying you hear more traffic accidents on roads then anything happening in the air. planes can stand any turbulence so try not to worry i know it is hard when you are a nervous flyer as i am lucky it doesn't bother me i love it. just think of your fabulous holiday outbound and your own bed in bound lol. Happy Holidays. xxx
tinkerbell1971 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 10, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Originally Posted by garyg565 View Post
hi . im glad im not on my own i too have got worse as i get older. i try a few beers before a flight. but i dont like the feeling of not being in control... i wish i could tell you how i get through it but i take each flight as it comes remmember the pilots and crew have families so im sure they wouldnt do it if it was dangerous
The VERY worst thing you could do as alcohol just feeds the fear.
Old 1 Nov 10, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi I think I will be taking the kalms, I have not flown for several years and I am very nervous. Can you take the rescue remedy as well?
Old 1 Nov 10, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post

simple fact is that your journey to the airport is statistically more dangerous than your flight. Once you get to the airport, the most dangerous part of your journey is over.
Old 1 Nov 10, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks guys. Nice to know I'm not alone
Closed Thread