Old 29 Dec 10, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
miss lumpy
Excited about Disney

Vegas & la sept 2010 day6 la

DAY 6

Mon 6th
Got up at 4.50 am
By 5.45 we had a last min mad scramble to get ready had some toast don't know when we will eat again don't have time to serve food on the flight on board for 45min even at this time in the morning it was sticky hot..

We chose wisely what to wear cause we worked out that if we got to LA early enough we might be in time for the Warner bros tour at mid day but too early to check into our room so will have these clothes on for most of the day..also wanted to look nice in any photos we will take..

7am sat at our departure gate checked in ok walked steady up to security past some shops the queue was very long but moving got to the front she asked all the usual questions & through we went to the x-ray bit this did not seam to be very organised & a little more hectic but passed through ok

We had to go on a monorail to get to our gate felt a bit like MCO in Florida has we travelled noticed it was now light outside.
Walked around a few shops we wanted to buy a LAS VEGAS STICKER for the suitcase & could not find one anywhere not even here.
passed the cinnabon shop ( loved having one of these when we went to universal studios ) didn't fancy on eating one this time in the morning also there was a big queue.

Found a seat sat by the window looking out it was a lovely clear bright sunny day

In the distance you could see helicopters taking off one after another there must have been about 20-25 in total (cant believe we didn't take any photos)

They were boarding us now

Firstly it was first class then gold customers then military then priority then platinum then another & another finally it was our turn the common folk
7.55 walked onto the plane & a bit of a shock it was quite dark inside has we walked along noticed all the blinds were pulled down at the windows WHY ? The plane was 3 & 3 we sat at the back nearest the window pulled up our blind up straight away slowly the plane filled up ,it was a full flight . A quiet lady sat next to me.
A few people pulled up there blinds but it was still quite dark . During the flight the crew just had time to come round with the free drinks, most people seamed to be asleep maybe they had all had a wild time in Vegas with sleep being the last thing on there minds. I think most of them was on there way back home so they all was quite subdued , but to us our adventure was just starting so it was quite a let down cause on the flights that you go on to Florida there is quite a buzz on this was the buzz had well & truly buzzed off...

The pilot announced the temp in LA was cooler than Vegas & there was ground smog ( boo)
Has we flew over the barren land you could just make out some of the roads & the freeways that went winding through the hills.. Would hate to brake down out there.. We began to look for any landmarks has we got closer but the smog did obscure some views saw the massive freeways has we got closer to landing I was videoing this bit & we did come down with a bang..

78 degrees here hope we are not going to be cold here not thought to bring any kind of coat not even a cardi

Found our way out & found the sign for our SUPER SHUTTLE to take us to our hotel THE DAYS INN on sunset boulevard We shared it with another couple & a single woman. Again the mood was sombre I think we were keeping them awake by us pointing things out & commenting especially when I saw a glimpse of the HOLLYWOOD SIGN. All be it from a great distance but there non the less.
Dropped the single woman off first at her home address, again it seamed odd because we were the only holiday makers , everyone else was going home

Went through a not so nice area & preyed this is where he wasn't going to drop us off. I knew we were close we had looked on Google that many times at our location.. A little further things started to look familiar & just around the corner we were here .
Didn't feel too bad getting out the hotel although only 2star looked really nice from the outside.. (sorry no photo)

Has we knew we were too early to check in & the nice young man behind reception let us store our cases while we went to look around.
The hotel looked clean & well kept up to the pool area was nice but empty the fog was just starting to disappear & we was told it was going to be a nice day.

Went out onto the street next door to us was an IN-OUT-BURGER place & across the road an I-HOP never been to either & read nice things on the dibb about I-HOP so we chose that one.
It was very busy but only waited about 5min for a table
Lots of lovely things on the menu . Went for the full breakfast carol had double bacon I had double sausages, has you can see from the photo it was big & it came with a side order of pancakes too... MMm yummy.

We needed to walk it all off now so up the street next to our hotel about 200yrds was Hollywood boulevard, it was very busy here just across the rd was Mannes /gaumans Chinese theatre & the starline tours booking office .

We noticed on a leaflet that a tour for Warner bros vip studios was due to leave so we went & bought tickets for it $49 each we got in the queue..

This was it this was one of the main reasons for coming to LA carol loves all things Hollywood from film stars to studios , she's like a baby in a toy store ..
We got to do a bit of sight seeing on our way went past the Hollywood bowl up into that there hills took about 10min

There was about 12 people on our bus & we all got to go in has a group on the same little buggy that they use

We went round all the street scenes first got on & off the buggy several times to look around ,chat, take photos I got to sit right up front next to the driver we visited lots of sets . Because it was labour day weekend there was no filming taking place , didn't know if we was disappointed about that because the tour guide guy said we could get to see lots more sets because there was no filming going on, BUT we liked the idea that MAYBE I know its a BIG MAYBE Ellen DeGeneres MIGHT pop out of her working studio on the lot & surprise us , like she did one time with a group of sight seers .. But this was not to be

These are just a few random photos

Apparently these are the steps outside Gotham city hall in BATMAN

We also visited the set of the mentalist, sat where the audience sit in two & a half men then visited the famous FREINDS set

Now to take theses photos you had to stand behind a line , but for us he said if we was quiet & quick we could wonder on the forbidden area. That's why we are in some of the actual set pieces( don't know if they do this with everyone) but it did feel kind of special.

We then went indoors where they had an HARRY POTTER Exhibition . Got to have a photo taken against a green background of us holding wands & pointing them at each other, they gave you free at the end of your visit, carol got to try the sorting hat .. She was put in Gryffindor.
You got to see the actual costumes (all behind glass) of HAGRID & others like James bond & many other famous people (photos were not allowed in here) after about 10min we were making our way back.. The tour lasted about nearly 3hrs bought some souvenirs back at the gift shop

To be cont
Old 29 Dec 10, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
miss lumpy
Excited about Disney

DAY 6 CONT

PHOTO OVERLOAD

Here a just a few more random photos

Back on the shuttle bus back to H/B .it did turn out to be a lovely warm day not has hot has Vegas (thank god)
Went across to the Disney store

, it was packed we didn't find anything we wanted to buy a bit disappointed really

Went into several gift shops

found some great stickers with LA & HOLLYWOOD on for our suitcase

Took lots of photos

Michael Jackson was the most popular one to be photographed people were laying on it kissing it always a crowd round it..
Time was getting on now so we made our way back to check in we was on the 2nd floor round the back on the outer wall of the hotel the inner wall faced the pool area.. We got the block of flats & their multi story car park about 10ft from our window , guess that's because we asked for a quiet room.. Beyond the reception the hotel started to look a little worn .
Upon entering the room it felt a little stuffy so went to put the air con on straight away, took some working out.. Again we asked for two singles & ended up with a double. The room was quite large but it was filled up with furniture, we had a large flat screen TV, fridge. microwave. It also had a bit of a smell. Glad we were only spending 2 nights here.

We unpacked what little luggage we had changed our footwear & went back out up to HOLLYWOOD/B another way past burger king where we nipped in for some tea..
Back onto the walk of fame we took more photos
Outside the Disney shop I looked across the rd & that's when I saw it.. The sign up in the hills on the balcony at the H/Highland centre area. We had to go look for ourselves ,that's the balcony area

This photo looks further away than it was

This was a lovely shopping area lots off trendy fashion shops nice atmosphere too the sun was going down now & there was a nip in the air but that didn't stop us we wanted to pack in has much has we could for the time we was here we could rest has much has we wanted back in Vegas..

To be cont

Edited at 12:14 AM.
miss lumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 10, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
miss lumpy
Excited about Disney

Day6 cont

PHOTO OVERLOAD

More photos

There was some nice high up views too

Time was against us now & it was getting dark & we didn't want to leave it too late to be walking down that rd to our hotel we saw a supermarket called fresh & easy it turned out to be really cheap & actually bought some American candy to take back home for the girls in the offices, got some pop & water & a bottle of wine, carol felt a little uneasy walking down the road but we needn't have worried all was ok..

9.20 back in the room now.had a shower carol is falling asleep watching the tv. Both shattered, going to try the free cont breakfast 2moro see what its like.watching the BIG BANG THEORY cause we saw that set today at warner bros studios..
Going to see what other tours we can go on 2moro. With a full free day we are open to a lot of options
Need sleep now ..

Just a few more random photos

Edited at 12:18 AM.
miss lumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 10, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Fabulous photos, what a busy day!
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 10, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My what a jam packed day! How lucky to get to sit on the stools on the "Central Perk" set! Great photos again
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 10, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post

I am at work so can't see the pics but the Warner Bros tour sounds fab, i wanted to do it, but didn't have the time as i was only in Hollywood for less than 24 hours... what did you think of the place? I am glad i visited but wouldn't rush back.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 10, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
miss lumpy
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by ukdiva View Post
I am at work so can't see the pics but the Warner Bros tour sounds fab, i wanted to do it, but didn't have the time as i was only in Hollywood for less than 24 hours... what did you think of the place? I am glad i visited but wouldn't rush back.
We enjoyed the time we had there, you do get a buzz from knowing you are walking on the same street & carpet that film stars have done. if we were lucky enough to go back I think it would be to visit paramount studios & definitely do disneyland..

I am sure you would have enjoyed the warner tour, what a shame you didn't have a little more time what a good reason to go back
Old 30 Dec 10, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Yeah, i did Disneyland, i spent 2 nights in Anaheim and then took the Amtrak to LA and spent 1 day/night in Hollywood. Disneyland is great, a lot more compact that Disneyworld, i managed to do both parks in 1 day

I don't think i will go back to Hollywood, it was an experience though. I think i would either stay in Beverly Hills or one of the beach suburbs if i did go back to LA.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 10, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Really enjoyed your report and all the photos!
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 10, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cloud
Imagineer

cloud's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Just enjoying reading your wonderful trip report as we fly out there in a weeks time! Have done the Hollywood thing as ds lives not far from there, love all the different beach areas around L A too.

Seattle December 2022
cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List