Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 6 Sep 11, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
There's 104 days of summer vacation - Day 5 BB, AKL and DD!

Stephen has decided on today’s plan off action – he wants breakfast at Denny’s and a trip to Blizzard Beach. Unfortunately, we don’t wake up until gone 9 so decide to leave Denny’s until tomorrow and go straight to the water park. Hopefully the air con will be fixed by the time we return – we are his first stop.

We arrive at Blizzard Beach and have rather a strange conversation with one of the car parking CMs – he asks us if we’ve visited before and whether we’ve been to Typhoon Lagoon and then tells us that everyone he asks says they don’t like Typhoon Lagoon. Strange …

Blizzard Beach by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Anyway, we head in and find a lounger to dump our stuff. Summit Plummet is already at 45 minutes, so Stephen decides to leave it for another time. I head to the lazy river and manage to get (almost!) elegantly into a ring while the boys head off to do a couple of slides.

They did Snow Stormers – Nigel came off saying he appreciated the luge! Then Double Dippers re-opened and they got on fairly quickly – both claim they won, so who knows?!

By now I had gone twice round the lazy river and felt very relaxed – as I came to Manatee Landing they were waiting for me and had only been there about 5 minutes, so pretty good timing. We went round one more time taking pictures and having photopass photos done. Good fun.

Lazy river by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Floating by limegreenlife, on Flickr

It began to get really busy in the lazy river so we decided to get some lunch - we shared a pulled pork sub and a meatball sub, which were surprisingly tasty. We also got a refillable mug – we will definitely get our money’s worth, as it is so hot!

We went back to put on more sun cream – a family had moved all our stuff and made a huge circle of chairs, pushed right up against our lounger. I know we weren’t there but nor were they – and we were only using the one chair! Oh well, their need was obviously greater than ours!

We went into the wave pool – Stephen found a tube and spent ages bobbing round in the huge waves! He loved it. It started raining – lots of people started screaming and left – the pool emptied! It passed within a few minutes, though, so we were glad we stayed.

Me and him by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Laid back by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Swimming in the rain by limegreenlife, on Flickr

We walked around and the boys had an ice cream cone – delicious, apparently. We saw the sand pail – Stephen announced he wanted one for us all to share next time!

Chilly by limegreenlife, on Flickr

We were getting tired now so decided to head back for a rest. When we got home, the air conditioning had been fixed – yay!

(Cont in next post)
Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 11, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
We dozed, watched TV, etc and then showered – it was time for our ADR at Sanaa! This was Nigel’s choice of meal and we were really looking forward to it – we love AKL, having stayed there for a night four years ago. We stopped off at Jambo House first to go and take some photos – unfortunately, there weren’t that many animals about as it was still very hot.

Crowning glory by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Giraffe by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Reflections of Africa by limegreenlife, on Flickr

The fire pit is a beautiful place to relax.

Fire pit by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Pensive by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Our favourite Hidden Mickey!

Hidden Mickey by limegreenlife, on Flickr

We saw a few animals.

Pelican by limegreenlife, on Flickr

A right pair by limegreenlife, on Flickr

We also saw this, which got us excited about our cruise!

Ooooooh! by limegreenlife, on Flickr

We drove on to Sanaa – we arrived a bit early but were seated within a few minutes. We had the bread starter (naan and popadum) with mango chutney, cucumber raita and red chile sambaal. The popadum were surprisingly spicy! Nigel also ordered kofta kabobs. I had an African mojito, Stephen had a smoothie and Nigel had pomegranate lemonade.

Cheers! by limegreenlife, on Flickr

When they brought the kabobs out, the server dropped one on Stephen’s lap. They were very apologetic, the manager came out to speak to us and we were brought club soda to clean it – it was surprisingly effective!

Nigel had short ribs and spicy Durban chicken, I had green shrimp curry and short ribs and Stephen had lamb coconut curry and red chicken curry. Stephen wasn’t totally convinced and we all ended up swapping dishes around. The food was tasty but very filling.

Inside AKL by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Only Nigel had room for pudding – chocolate cake with raspberry-mint sorbet. She brought 3 spoons so we all had a go! We got a reduction on the bill to pay for dry cleaning of Stephen’s shorts.

(Cont in next post)
Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 11, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
We went outside and took some photos at Kidani Village – there were lots of animals around here.

Zebra by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Ostrich by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Giraffe by limegreenlife, on Flickr

And a few strange creatures!

Party of 3 by limegreenlife, on Flickr

We decided to go and finish the evening at Downtown Disney. We wandered round a bit, just soaking up the atmosphere.

Downtown sunset by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Nessie by limegreenlife, on Flickr

Downtown Disney at night by limegreenlife, on Flickr

We went to Pin Traders to see if they had the pin that Stephen had lost but no luck. On to Christmas shop and bought this year’s bauble – a Mr and Mrs Potato Head (we went as them to a fancy dress event!) and then spent some time in our favourite shop, Art of Disney.

In honour of this year’s favourite ride –

They may try to follow you home ... by limegreenlife, on Flickr

After a quick look in Once upon a Toy and World of Disney,

Watch out! by limegreenlife, on Flickr

we decided to call it a night and headed home – Stephen fell asleep in the car.

To infinity ... and beyond! by limegreenlife, on Flickr
Old 6 Sep 11, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow another great day! Didn't think you'd be posting today considering the schools have now gone back, but so glad you have, I'm really enjoying all your reports. My holiday will be simliar to yours (minus the cruise) as I have 2 lads similar ages to your Stephen - glad to see him wearing his lanyard, I've been told by my eldest (nearly 14) that he thinks he's too old but my youngest (10) still wants to trade - I love pin trading hoping Ben will change his mind once we're over there
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 11, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
He he - Stephen started secondary today and my class started back too but it is nice to write this up as I wind down for the evening!
Old 7 Sep 11, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great day. Your report makes me want to go to AKL for a meal.
Old 7 Sep 11, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Pumpkin
Imagineer

Great report I love reading these as it is nice to read about and see other places (to try next time! )

Hope the food dropping on your son's lap didn't burn him
OKW '14 | DxDDP '14 + Food Only 1 | Villa '13 | Villa '11 | DLP '10
Mrs Pumpkin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 11, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great report
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 11, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Loving your trip reports - Sanaa sounds lovely not eaten there yet - may have to try next year. We have stayed at Jambo on two occasions before, but brought into DVC last time we were there in 2009. Our home resort is BLT, but will no doubt have to go and pay a visit.

Looking forward to more of your report.
Old 7 Sep 11, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MFras23
Imagineer

MFras23's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 20
Guidebook Reviews: 15
Another superb report, hoping to stay at AKL in the next few years and your photos have clinched it for me now!