Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Sep 11, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

D23 Expo Trip Report - Day 3

Saturday was going to be the big day at the expo as it was the Studios presentation in the morning. With the benefit of time zones I was awake again before 5am and after a shower was on my way to IHOP for breakfast by 6am. Getting back to the hotel I was able to have a Skype video chat home and then at 7:30am I headed to the queue knowing that there was 3.5 hours before the start of the presentation and I expected 1.5 hours before the doors would even open. They had learnt from the previous hugely long line by marking out switchbacks all around the courtyard area outside the arena, and with a cast member shouting that they were the rear of the line for D23 members I found my spot and started to wait. Having some chats with the guests in front and behind me, mainly complaining about the previous days lines.

Just after 8 it suddenly looked like the line had started to move, one of the benefits of height is that you can see over crowds and sure enough after a few more minutes the movement had got to us and off we went slowly towards the entrance, A few moments later the moving stopped, probably they had just let the sorcerer and premier pass holders in, but then off we went again slowly unwinding the snake of queue until we were heading back down the side of the main building. I made it into the building and then realised that the queue just went on and on, back down the length of the building then back on its self then back again until it finally made it into the main hall, all the time we moved a few feet then stopped for a while then a few more feet and then stop. The nice Cast member couple behind me (can't remember their names) started taking it in turns to play Angry Birds Rio on a Galaxy tablet, and decided to include me on the rotation so I had a couple of goes before we got near to the Electronics drop, where every camera, phone, tablet and any other electronic gadget and gizmo had to be handed over in exchange for a receipt and then we got to go into the main snake queue from the previous day. By now it was about 9am, still 2 hours before show time. So the queue almost to a man/woman sat down, the only exceptions seemed to be people who were worried that if they did sit down they would not be able to get up again. And we waited. And waited, and realised that we did not have any electronic devices so had to just wait some more.

At 10 they decided to start loading the arena, and we dutifully walked through the snake and across to the arena, as I got there I was directed into the main floor level, and was pointed at a seat on the raised seats off to a side but I was on the main floor, however I did almost immediately notice that they rows in front of us were not being filled and the great mass of fans that were behind me in the queue were now starting to appear on the higher level. I quickly popped out to deal with nature's call and wandered back into the arena, and was pointed in a different direction so deciding that that may be a better view (especially as my original seat was between 2 large Americans) followed till it was pointed out that this section was for PRESS and I did not have the right credentials. So went back to my cramped seat.

As the show got closer the rows in front did fill up, but not with fans, but staff and their families, with the people who had only got into the queue later than 7:30 being consigned to the upper tier.

Finally the show began, again I am sure that you have all heard what was announced / shown to us in the show. Personally I was disappointed especially in the last Avengers role call when the stars was walked on as pieces of meat to be seen and screamed at but not to say anything, apart from Robert Downey jr. who thanked us for being able to be at home this weekend and did we want to see the clip again, before running off stage. The most interesting moment was when John Lasseter was introduced and he got a standing ovation from the central part of the crowd and parts of the banked seating, so showing a distinction between the fan base and the rest of the press and staff and others that were in the arena (on the floor level it looked 50/50)

The Cupcake was a wonderful surprise even as I was sitting right near and entrance they were all tucked out of site until the official announcement of cake for all. Brave looks good, John Carter was way too long a presentation as I now feel I have seen most of it. It was great to see Kermit and Miss Piggy in the flesh, so to speak, but still also annoyed that it is not released in the UK till February.

After the Avengers had done there piece we were all let out en-masse and the bun fight to get your electronics back started, within the clear bag they had labelled with the other half of the receipt they had also taken a photo id (driving license) so I was soon reunited with my stuff and went off in hunt for food.

I try to eat healthly now even when on holiday so was looking for something with a nice Salad or at least some green vegetables and I avoid white bread (see the Xmas trip if you want to know why), now as I had a quick hunt around the food concessions within the Expo and could find pre-made salads that were looking very sorry and wilted, and no other veg bar what could be placed in a sandwich.(white only), so as I had a couple of hours before the next presentation I wanted to attend and still having the belief that I could get away with arriving at the last moment, I headed out of the Conference centre. After trying a couple of near by resturants and getting a bit mad, i finally decided to head back to the Cheesecake factory as their salads are good.

Arriving back at the Expo I was 5 mins after the Buena Vista street presentation so I decided not even to try and have some more time looking round the main floor. There was a lovely display of Pirates of the Caribbean props including the tank that the mermaid was carried in during the last movie.

Pirates of the Caribbean Props by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

and also a full size Lego lightning McQueen

Lego Lightning McQueen by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

As I was near the queue area for the arena and there were already people queuing for the showing of Lion King 3D in 3 hours time, at this point I decided that I was not going to make the effort and would try to attend the presentation on Monsters University at 5pm instead.

As a charter member of D23 I had access to a private room on the 1st floor which I decided as I had 2 hours till the presentation I would check it out, as I was leaving the show floor i did bump into Jeffery Epstein "The Disney Geek"

Jeffery Epstein of the Disney Geek Podcast by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

The room was very basic with just some tables chairs, a paid bar and free Tea & Coffee, but was a nice place to relax away from the masses. and decided that now was a good time to have my Cupcake from the studios presentation that morning, the Southern Californian weather had not been good for the cake as it had melted slightly but still tasted good.

D23 Pixar Cupcake - As part of the Studio presentation all the attendee's were given a cup cake to celibrate 25 Years of Pixar by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

By checking twitter I realised that Ricky Brigante from "Inside the Magic" was in the Buena Vista Street presentation that was directly opposite the Charter lounge, so as 3:45 came round I popped out to see I could find him, and moments later out he wandered, we chatted about the Expo and his podcast and were also joined by Henry Work. Then it was time to go our seperate ways and I headed for the queue for Monsters University presentation.

I was able to get into the main queue room and sat on the floor for an hour whilst we waited for the room to be loaded.

The Presentation was on how Pixar have been making Mike and Sulley look younger as the new film is looking at how they met at college and how they became such good friends.

Artwork for Monsters Inc and the new Monsters University by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

In the photo above is Bob Peterson, who was the story supervisor on Monsters Inc and the voice of Roz, (also Mr Ray and Dug) and we got a sample of each as he introduced the main presenters

Artwork for Monsters Inc and the new Monsters University by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

The presentation was fascinating in the small details they add to make it feel right, including horns and claws being smaller, and notice Mike's retainer.

After the presentation I popped back to the Charter lounge as at 6pm they were doing a trivia quiz, this involved Steven Vagnini (from the Disney Archives) and Paul Anderson (Walt Disney Family Museum) asking trivia questions and hand raising to answer, I managed to win a badge from the launch of D23, once that was over I headed down to the main show floor and as on the Friday it had cleared out a lot so I was able to visit the Parks and Resorts pavilion without a long wait.

This Pavilion had all the main imagineering projects shown. There was a massive model of the new fantasyland

New Fantasyland Model by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

New Fantasyland Model by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr
There was also a mock-up of the new Seven Dwarf coaster ride vehicle

Dopey in the Mine Cart by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr
When I had been talking to Ricky earlier he had mentioned the new Statue of Walt and Mickey that was going at the end of Buena Vista street and now that that presentation had occurred the model was down here in the pavilion.

New Walt and Mickey statue for DCA by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

There was also a section on Cars Land, including a ride vehicle and a video of the construction from the centre of the plot.

Ride Vehicle for Radiator Spring Racers by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

There was also a section on the cruise line with some statues, a Talking Mickey who had finished for the day, a section on Aulani, and as I was leaving a small section on Shanghai. I had a good chat with the imagineer working on Shanghai but at the moment they are still mainly at the clearing the site, and having blue sky ideas on what will work for the Chinese market.

Shanghi Model by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr
By the time I left the pavilion the show floor was closing, so having missed the Lion King and deciding not to wait for the Auction, especially as I was NOT TO BUY THE ZEBRA. I decided that the best thing was to head to Disneyland for some food and to try and catch Fantasmic.

I got to the park and headed into Adventureland, and decided to try Bengal Barbecue. I had the Asparagus and the Bengal Beef Skewer small but wonderful and was enough to keep me going. I headed into New Orleans Square and tried to find somewhere to watch. I thought I had a space perched on a wall but was asked to move, I then found a raised portion of the square, just in front of Cafe Orleans, but couldn't work out where the entrance would be and decided that the spot I had found would be lost by the time I found it, so decided to vault up over the metal fence. BIG MISTAKE as I missed timed it and whacked my right knee as I went over and a collapsed in a heap.

As there was a wait for Fantasmic I just sat on the floor especially as the knee was a bit saw, as it got closer we all stood up and once the lights had moved to the full height I had a great view of the show. Compared to the WDW version the biggest point was the lack of seating, the show in DL seemed to have less on the water screens and seems a bit shorter, but the Sailing ship is fun and the dragon is impressive.

Fantasmic by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

After the show and starting to flag, I did decide to try and just do Star Tours before I left, the queue said 20 mins but it was nearer 30 in the end. But it is a great update and I visited Hoth and Coruscant on this visit.

By this time I was total pooped and just needed sleep, and the knee was starting to throb, but I also had hunger pains so as I walked past this

Corn Dog Wagon by Hayden Pronto-Hussey, on Flickr

So I decided to try my first ever corn dog, nice and comforting as I walked back to the hotel.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 11, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
SugarRush
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Another great day. Was the sheer volume of people a major problem at the convention? Looks like you might need another holiday to relax after this
Old 8 Sep 11, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another fab day xx