Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I know I said I wouldn't but ... Day 8 lights & fireworks

Quick background:

I'd originally said I wouldn't return to the Boardwalk Inn (my favourite resort) as I was worried a return would not be as good as my 2010 trip, but when a Disney US annual passholder 40% discount came out I couldn't turn it down!

Chief Financier, Organiser and Payer of Bills - Me, Clare - 40 something Disney nut but lover of the finer things in life (purse strings permitting)

I was meeting Cindy (Meggy from the Dibb) for a 9.30 am breakfast at Crystal Palace this morning so I was up bright and early as I wanted to catch the Magic Kingdom opening ceremony again - nothing like a good blub in the morning lol

I was really fortunate with buses this trip, as I arrived at the Boardwalk bus stop a Magic Kingdom bus was just arriving, a few of us got on and we all arrived just in time for the opening ceremony - crowds appeared a lot lighter today after most of the 'Jersey' crowd had checked out the day before.

I entered the park and spotted the horse drawn tram just starting to load up a few passengers so I hopped on, our 'driver' was fantastic fun, she got us all singing 'jingle bells' at full volume whilst riding up Main Street, everyone was getting in on the holiday magical spirit including those people we passed by, such fun!

I took a quick picture of our trusty steed by the Castle then walked round to Crystal Palace to meet Cindy. We checked in and didn't wait too long, if only the rest of the breakfast run as smoothly.

To cut a very long story short, after a 30 minute wait for the chef to discuss my gluten 'allergy' (I'm a coeliac but Disney refer to it as 'gluten allergy'), and a further 20 minute wait for my gluten free waffles, it wasn't the experience I'd hoped for, and far different to my last breakfast in 2007. I was left feeling uncomfortable and unhappy by the whole experience - this resulted in my being 'comp'd' the breakfast and given a fast pass, Cindy and I then split the cost of her breakfast and decided to ride whatever ride had the longest wait time.

A very untypical and unDisney experience I'm afraid.

We walked into Fantasy Land and Pooh had the longest wait at 40 minutes so we joined the fast track line and were soon on, this cheered us both up and reminded us how great Disney really is.

After Pooh Cindy was staying in the park whilst I was off to Epcot for a last wander around world showcase and lunch at San Angel Inn.

We said our goodbyes - we were sharing a car to the airport so would see each other again on Wednesday - I walked down Main Street one last time this trip and caught a bus back to the Boardwalk where I then walked to the International Gateway and spent some time taking photographs of the various countries. Epcot was also back to normal today and crowds were very low, World Showcase is my favourite part of Disney, I love to take time out looking at the countries, perhaps noticing things that those in a rush wouldn't necessarily notice.

China:

I had a 2 pm lunch ADR at San Angel Inn, this is somewhere that I've always wanted to eat but not quite managed it. I arrived a little early on purpose so I could ride the Gran Fiesta Tour, I still prefer the original but this is always a must do for me.

After the 'tour' I made the short walk across to San Angel Inn and on arrival I was seated immediately at a 'two top' table overlooking the river/pyramid, a great table and my server advised as I was a 'single diner' they wanted to give me a table with a view.

I had read good reviews about San Angel Inn's gluten free options, unfortunately the salsa and chips that everyone else around me seemed to be enjoying were not gluten free so I consoled myself with a passion fruit margarita, another 'best' experienced on this trip, amazing cocktail.

I wasn't feeling particularly hungry today so decided just on an appetiser to accompany my margarita
Tostadas de Tinga - roasted tomato and chipotle marinated pulled
chicken, avocado, and black refried beans on fried corn tortillas, topped with Valentina sauce, queso fresco and sour cream - absolutely delicious and I finished both off.

I really enjoyed San Angel Inn and will be returning again next trip.

I walked the long way round the lake back to International Gateway and took some time out at the Boardwalk relaxing with an ice-cold lemonade from the Inn Keepers Club on my balcony.

afternoon snacks at the Inn Keepers Club

Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I was seeing the Osborne Lights tonight - I'd heard 'horror' stories that last week was mobbed and people were shoulder to shoulder, I was hopeful that due to the resorts emptying out the day before it would be better. After Osborne Lights I had an illuminations cruise with fellow Dibbers James and Mel and some cyber friends from another Disney fan website, as well as my very good US pal Sha.

I love the walk to Hollywood Studios, it only takes about 10-15 minutes and is so much more enjoyable than the friendship launches. I arrived at dusk and first impressions crowdwise were good, not only were crowds pretty light but there was also Fantasmic so most people would probably be there.

You can see how few people were waiting, this was about 10 minutes before it got dark/the lights were switched on.

I last visited the lights in 2007 and this year they seemed even better, snow started to fall and everyone was happy (probably due to the fact we weren't all standing shoulder to shoulder!), it was really enjoyable walking through the display, stopping and taking photos whenever you wanted, all due to the low 'crowd'. This was my third walk round so by now there were more people but this was the 'largest' amount who seemed to gather at once under the lights, the rest of the area was clear.

After getting my fill of the Osborne Lights I made my way out of the very 'quiet' park and due to it being dark I caught the friendship launch to the Dolphin where I intended to eat at the Dolphin Fountain.

This is now another of my must do's next time - it's like Beaches & Cream but larger and the burger I had was much nicer than Beaches & Cream, loved this place!

I opted for a 'build your favourite burger' with American cheese, onions and mushrooms - this was a fabulous burger, very tasty. I also chose a 'sunshine' smoothie, delicious! I still love Beaches & Cream but now I've discovered the Fountain at the Dolphin I'm afraid it's going to be my preferred 'diner'.

Full to the rafters I then walked outside to the Yacht Club to meet up with my fellow 'cruisers'.

James was the official photographer for tonight's cruise and he has very kindly given us fellow cruisers access to his photos, a few I'm posting here. A huge thank you to James for these photos.

The boat had been decorated with 'congratulations' banners and balloons as we had 2 wedding anniversaries and, we discovered that night, an engagement (!) from a couple of nights earlier, as well as Sha celebrating finding love with her high school sweatheart, she'd had a horrible few years but there might well be some further engagement news very soon. It was a brilliant night topped off by a fantastic 'captain' who took us around the Boardwalk after illuminations so we could get a group photo in front of all the lights.

with Sha

the happy cruisers and captain

Another fabulous day but tinged with a little sadness as the following day would be my penultimate day.

Edited at 09:59 PM.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Kim
Imagineer

Another fantastic day Clare.

I'd sub a Margarita for Salsa & Chips anyday

Kim
Kim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
gingababe
Very Serious Dibber

Another fantastic day ... We so want to be back there our favourite place !

Thank you

H xx
gingababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
A fantastic night Clare. Thank you again!

More pics and details will be shared in James' Trippie, but you'll have to wait a bit before we get that far!

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index

Edited at 05:41 PM.
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A lovely day despite your initial disappointment at Crystal Palace.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

Another great day. I would love to see the Osborne lights again, they are amazing.
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
TiggerD
Imagineer

TiggerD's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Another fab day Clare and fab pics
TiggerD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Another wonderful day Clare, lovely photos xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 11, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by gingababe View Post
Another fantastic day ... We so want to be back there our favourite place !

Thank you

H xx
It'll not be long though

Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
A fantastic night Clare. Thank you again!

More pics and details will be shared in James' Trippie, but you'll have to wait a bit before we get that far!

Can't wait to read James' trippie, once I finish writing up mine I'm going to sit down with a glass of wine and enjoy James'

Really enjoyed meeting you guys too

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
A lovely day despite your initial disappointment at Crystal Palace.
Crystal Palace was thankfully soon forgotten

Originally Posted by Tartan Tigger View Post
Another great day. I would love to see the Osborne lights again, they are amazing.
Aren't they gorgeous, I cried all the way through lol

Originally Posted by TiggerD View Post
Another fab day Clare and fab pics
Soon be your turn David!

Originally Posted by sarahewoods View Post
Another wonderful day Clare, lovely photos xx
I loved this time of year Sarah, so glad I decided to go but next time I'll be back to my all time favourite,May x