Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 6 Feb 12, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Wofford Heights, here we come! Day 2

DAY 2

As I said we are up before the larks – well, pelicans in these parts and as I open the curtains I am greeted with a magnificent sight. The sunrise behind the Laguna Mountains is stunning. Cars are already pouring over the Coronado Bridge and their headlights sweep through the distance. Amy (Aims on the boards) and her husband Larry are our local guides for the next couple of days. They’re picking us up around 9:15 and they ask that we are prompt as the car parking fees at the hotel are horrendous as we will later discover.

The “Del” glows with her red shingles in the early morning light:

We set off for about a 30 minute drive to La Jolla Cove (pronounced Hoya – Spanish grammar rules apply!) It is stunning. The ocean is a deep blue and on the rocks below are California sea lions basking in the sun and swooping cormorants and pelicans. We are having breakfast at Brockton Villa – a wooden bungalow built in 1894 as a weekend retreat for Dr. Roden. He bought the land for $165 and built his tongue and groove redwood home on it. The roof tiles are made from cedar. We are sat out on the wrap around veranda.

We all order our meals – crispy Applewood bacon – eggs over easy, hash browns with a hint of Mexican flavourings and lashings of mocha coffee. Darrin opts for latte and this comes in a glass complete with a straw – for a HOT drink! Darrin says it’s like giving his tonsils a Jacuzzi! Amy enjoys the view:

California seals:

After we’ve eaten we stroll along the cliff tops where “ice plants” grow in profusion. Amongst them are tiny squirrels who are not afraid of passing people. There are more seals out on the rocks and this has become a local “problem”. Somebody built a breakwater so that a family beach could be created. All was fine and dandy until the seal breeding season came long and the newly created beach proved ideal for the seals to give birth. The creatures being protective actually drove kids out of the pool that had been built. So there is now a dispute between the Pro and the Con factions about whether the seals should be allowed to stay. California law does protect the animals and they must not be harassed but some folk don’t like the fact that they are not allowed on the beach when the seals are there.

The sky hasn’t a cloud in it and the sun is beating down on a perfect day. We pile into the car and head back towards the downtown area of La Jolla. Larry used to work in this area some years ago so he knows it well. We park up and then look in shop windows as we make our way to another wooden building – Pannikin.

Here Darrin enjoy a mug of Earl Grey each and it is the best cuppa I have ever had in all the years of travelling to the USA. They boiled the water and brewed exactly as it should be done. We split a cranberry, brazil nut and oatmeal muffin between us whilst the multitude of sparrows tried to pick up the drums. The hedgerow was like Bird Central! We move on and start to head back into San Diego passing the airport on our way.

The front is known as Seaport and along the road is a bar where they filmed scenes for “Top Gun” with Tom Cruise all those years ago. We are going to view the U S S Midway – a massive aircraft carrier which is now a permanently moored museum.

The massive battle ship grey vessel served in many a mission and below decks it is the size of your average shopping mall.

We view crew quarters and you realise how little space and privacy these guys had. It’s very claustrophobic walking along the narrow passageways as we view briefing rooms, engine rooms, and the brig! I have a brief stay behind bars:

Up on the flight deck is an amazing sight. Viking, Panther, Sea King and Hawkeye jets are all over the place and many you can go and sit in the cockpit. The most astonishing and informative bit though is Charlie who was once a jet pilot. I was under the impression they hooked up the jets and just slung them out to sea on the catapult. It’s way more complicated than that. He took us through every step of an actual launch from the signals given to indicate plane weights, the arming of weapons, how the catapult works by enormous steam pressure, how a fully revving jet is held in place until time of release, the 18 year lads who press the go button, the G forces involved (5G), the tunnel vision your eyes undergo, the trust between the crew members and the 0 to 160 m p h in 2.2 seconds. I foolishly thought they used the full length of the deck – not so. Just 255 feet!

It’s like standing on a massive football field and you have the “island”, the command turrets soaring above you. It was a totally fascinating experience and we’d thoroughly recommend it to any fathers and sons who have an interest in such things. OH! I forgot to add – another Senior ticket for me. Saved $3.

We head back to the “Del”, our hotel and here comes the car park sting. For a visitor to the hotel the first two hours are $16 then $10 for each additional hour or $26 for the day. So please, no more moaning folks about $14 to park at Disney! Larry and Amy come up to our room to do a quick change for the evening meal. When we are all ready we set off down Orange Avenue to the other end of the Coronado peninsular to Peohe’s.

This establishment is now owned by the Landrys chain (they run Rainforest / T Rex etc. at Disney). Inside, it’s vaguely reminiscent of Mythos at Islands of Adventure at Universal in Orlando. There are waterfalls and oceanic themes everywhere. Our table is in a glass annexe with the most incredible view of the cityscape. It reminded me of Manhattan by night when viewed from Brooklyn. Amy and I share a crab, mango and avocado starter. Mains are Coconut Shrimp, Scallops, Carb stuffed Talapia followed by Key Lime Pie and crème brulees. A lovely bottle of Cakebread Cellars Chardonnay. Our evening ends around 9:30 as Amy & Larry head back to Temecula (their home) and we go up to room and fall happily into bed.

Edited at 05:55 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 12, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report Geoff. The mention of the applewood crispy bacon made my mouth water
Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. Look forward to more
Old 6 Feb 12, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great day Geoff and great photos.

Look forward to the rest of the trippie.

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 12, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
nickymouse66
Imagineer

Fab photo's, lovely report so far...
Old 6 Feb 12, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Love the photos and can't wait to see some of the scenery for myself in the summer

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 12, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Your hotel looks magnificent!

How lovely to have your very own tour guides - can't ask for better than that! Your aircraft carrier trip reminds me a bit of our visit to the USS Missouri - I found it all fascinating.

The restaurant meal sounds wonderful (love hearing about food and menus!) and a great view to top it off. What a lovely day you have all had.
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 12, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow that hotel looks stunning! What a fab day, but ouch those parking fees are a bit steep!
Old 6 Feb 12, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

We really did have a wonderful weekend together, the only problem was it flew by way too fast. So nice seeing the pics and reminiscing. I'm sure you and Darrin have many more fun days ahead on your holiday too.

Btw, there is a good reason Geoff ended up in the brig- he's a very naughty boy sometimes, lol.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 12, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great first day.The hotel looks lovely and dinner sounds divine its making my mouth water.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 12, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cathann
Apprentice Imagineer

Lovely first day!