Imagineer

Nettings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Big Four-O Trip - Adventure into the Unknown! - Day 4

The Cast

Gez - 40th - Always wanted to go to Vegas for his 40th!
Me - Clarks - Rather enjoying this travelling lark!
Jack - 13 - Laid back, but starting to show a bit more excitement!
Ben -11 - No worries about flying!

One trip we’d not booked prior to our arrival in San Fran was a visit to Muir Woods and Sausalito. Gez phoned up one company this morning, only to be told that the late availability places, weren’t available at late notice! LOL

So we decided to head for the Bus Company we’d used the previous two days to see what they had on offer – however as we rounded the corner of our hotel’s road, I noticed there was a “booking office” for another company which advertised this trip.

We popped in, not expecting them to be able to help us, but the guy was really friendly and helpful (and knocked off about $30 off the usual price) and we joined a tour that was just about to leave. Brilliant timing.

We headed off to Muir Woods and its gorgeous huge redwoods. The roads up there were a little windy so we arrived slightly queasy and ready for a little wander. We enjoyed just over an hour in the woods and the scenery was fabulous.

We met up with the coach again and then headed for Sausalito.

Sausalito is like a Mediterrean resort, with colourful boutique-type shops and a relaxed atmosphere. Again we had just over an hour here, wished it had been longer.

We returned to the coach and the coach driver took us back via an old army base, situated under the Golden Gate Bridge – and we took in the sights over the Bay to the City.

In the early evening we headed down to Pier 33 to join our Alcatraz evening tour.

The boat trip over was “bracing” and we were taken around the Island, being told the history of the Rock. We finally docked and were then split into two groups. The evening tours are limited to the number of people who are allowed to part-take of the tour – which made the whole visit that extra bit more atmospheric.

We joined the Audio Tour – which is an excellent tour dictated by old prison officers and former inmates.

It was quite weird as at one point both me and Ben took our headphones off, because we thought we heard a commotion. It turned out the “commotion” was coming from the audio we were listening too, but with our headphones off, we could see lots of people around us, but the place was in absolute silence! Very weird!

At the end of the tour, we headed for the upstairs hospital rooms – there was electric lighting in the hallways but the accessible rooms off the hall were only being lit by what can be best described as camping lamps. It gave an ominous feeling to the rooms and it was very, very atmospheric.

By the time we’d finished having a look round there, we’d missed the opportunity to see two other “presentations” – which was a little disappointing, but did manage to witness the “Slammer”. One of the members of staff operated the cell doors and we heard the familiar sound of the doors slamming shut!

We then all had to leave the Island and it was almost like… will the last person off turn off the lights LOL as all the staff came back on our boat.

Nettings is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 12, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Christopher_Ro
Imagineer

Christopher_Ro's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Guidebook Reviews: 5
Awesome stuff! Who needs Halloween Horror Nights now!?
Christopher_Ro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 12, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilovesnowwhite
Imagineer

What a fabulous day
xx
Old 17 Mar 12, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Brilliant day - love your pics, wish we could fit in Muir Woods on our trip - ah well, you have given me a reason to book a trip back now
Loving your trippy !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 12, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Another fabulous day & pics
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 12, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Wow what a fantastic day I think i would have loved that what an experience for you all
Old 19 Mar 12, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Lovely day! Loved Sausalito, such a pretty place! Alcatraz is awesome, the audio tour really adds something doesn't it?
Old 19 Mar 12, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report, love Sausalito it's so beautiful! x
Old 19 Mar 12, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nettings
Imagineer

Nettings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thank you one and all - I must admit this day will stay with me for a long time to come. Love the West Coast xx
Nettings is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List