Old 26 Mar 12, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Yes we're going to Vegas with the KIDS again Day 3

Me... 38 lover of NASCAR , Outspoken ,
DH... 43 Lover of all things with wheels, quiet , suffer of psoratic arthritus but carries on regardless
DD...13 Loves Shopping, not keen on racing, 90% lovely 10% hormonal Teenage
DD...9 Love NASCAR , 9 going on 19 , not a fan of shopping unless its for him.

Btw the title of the trippie is in response to a few family members judging us taking the kids to America again (i know what bad parents lol ! )

Today we're off to Phoenix Arizona, tbh its not somewhere i had previously thought of going so i knew very little about it, but we decided last yr because it was the week before the Vegas race and reasonably close we may as well go there too.

The race track is actually in Avondale about 20 miles from Phoenix, i hadnt a clue where to stay but the race track had a list of hotels nearby.. about 10 ! (its very much the middle of nowhere).. A few were out of my price range $1000 for 3 nights , some were dives and that left the Best Western at Goodyear, mixed reviews but reasonably priced and where we wanted to be.

We got up around 7am, got ready made sure we had scanners, print out to collect race tickets, clothes , suncream (more on that in Day 4) and we're ready.. We go to the Motel 6 just down the road and pick up our friend Jeff.. We've known him years , he travels alone and wont drive in America so we offered to take him for a contribution in car hire .

Quick stop at Dennys for breakfast and we begin the long 276 mile drive ! I knew the kids would be ok because they are good travellers and have ipods/ PSP's and they are very good at playing things like i-spy together.

Just over the Hoover Dam bridge and Connor decides his seat belt isnt right , so we find some layby overlooking the Colorado river and sort it out. Also here are some native Indians who are selling some beautiful hand made jewellery, Chloe decides she likes a rose necklace thats been hand carved from wood so i buy it for her ( $15).

On the way we saw lots of straight roads, strange rock formations and not a lot of civilisation. We passed through 3 towns, Kingman, Wikkie Up and Wickenberg . Stopped off once for a toilet break but eventually we get to Phoenix.

It about 2pm but this point and i decide it might be a good idea to head to the track and pick up the tickets as not much is happening there today. Find the track with ease one and park up..

Omg its so hot...Connor decides that he needs a new racing cap (to join the 50 others he has then) because its so hot and he doesnt want to get burnt !

Every race track has a area outside where various companies like Chevy/ Ford etc etc have large displays.. first one we come to is a huge display of RV'S by Camping World.. Well we've come all this way and the kids spend an hour in and out all these RV'S they loved it. Both ask when we come back next year if we can have a RV and park it up at the race track (i have looked into this so many times but its so expensive !).

Moving on we come to the merchandise haulers. Connor has suffered terribly since my dad died and rarely leaves my side but he was off, looking at the haulers he was interested in, running between them all etc. He and DH spend far too much at the Dale Earnhardt Jr & Danica Patrick Haulers.. but eventually we make it to the will call office and get out tickets which takes all of 5 mins.

As its such a hot afternoon we wander round all the display stands, there were very few people about as nothing was happening at the track so it was very quiet.

Then we came across SPEED TV and noticed one of the race drivers Brad Keslowski being interviewed, we waited till he finished and he came over and signed autographs and asked the usual "are you from the UK ? you come all this way ? " the same questions most have asked us lol.
The the lady presenter comes over and takes a shine to the kids... a friendship was born then between "Heather" and the kids and we saw her several times that weekend and in Vegas and she's been communicating with the kids on fb /twitter since then.

We decide its time to go and have to walk past the merchandise haulers again. We notice Robbie Gordon on his signing autographs and he gives the kids a can of his energy drink each and signs them. Connor then spots Robbie's little boy Max (he's only 3) playing with a RC car and he's off and they spent a good 20 mins playing together. Finally i drag him away and we get back to the car without further distractions.

Our hotels are about 15 mins from the track, we drop Jeff at his and find ours and despite my reservations it was really nice.. Not fancy but clean and had a nice pool . Most other guests were race fans so it had a nice atmosphere.

We unpacked and then the bit i had been waiting for... we went to Golden Corral, 2 years i'd been waiting to eat here (i know very sad lol). Because its not a very touristy area it wasnt overly busy and cost $9.99 each which i think is slighty cheaper than in Orlando and the food choice seemed better. I joked with the manager i'd be back several times over the next few days and he didnt forget that que much laughter whenever we went back . Chloe was in heaven with all the salad and vegetables on offer , Connor loved the chocolate factory. Suitably stuffed we left and headed to Walmart thankfully they didnt have anymore NASCAR merchandise so my bank balance was saved !

We went back to the hotel and it was pretty lively outside. It had a pub adjencent to it and because it was such a lovely night people were sat outside listening to music and having fun, the kids noticed a large dog and asked if they could play with it, owner said yes so they spent a while playing ball with him whilst we chatted to other race fans.. again "are you from the UK ? you really come all this way? '' and then " have you met the queen? " oh if i had a pound for everytime we're asked that lol.

Around 10pm we decide its bed time, the kids go straight to bed and are out like a light as always :-)

The long road to Phoenix

Colorado River

Strange Rock Formations

RV Heaven

daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 12, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Brad Keslowski

Heather from Speed TV

Phoenix International Raceway
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 12, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Sounds like you were all in car and food heaven
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 12, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great day, love the strange rock formations.

My older brother owned a massive RV over here..whenever he went anywhere he had kids asking him for autographs..even knocking on the door... and he is not a rock star...just a bin man. LOL

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 12, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great instalment! I love Phoenix and HOT is definitely the word! lOL
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 12, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Looks like you had a good day. Love the RV so luxurious.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 12, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Wow at the RV! How fab would it be to stay in one of those.

Nice to hear Connor got a bit more independent and went off on his own, it's hard for them isn't it and that he got to meet some drivers and keep in touch with Heather

Golden Corral isn't somewhere we have experienced, never managed it in Florida but sounds good from your descriptions! Love the pics too.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 12, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
He's a strange kid really, upto when my dad died he was happy to be left at my parents for 10 days, went there for odd nights, sleepovers with his friends but since June none of that has happened, he's been to a few sleepovers and come home..
My kids were so used to seeing my dad be very ill and then get better (he had 4 weeks in a coma the other yr and both used to go in and sit / speak to him) i guess he thought the same would happen this time.. And because of my dads chest being open and it being quite messy Connor wasnt allowed into see dad ...

It'll take time i suppose...

Golden Corral isnt a gourmet meal, but its excellent value, steaks cooked to order, loads of other meats to choice from, veg, salads, pasta etc so really something for everyone.
Old 17 May 12, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Wow this looks so interesting! I'd like to try something different next time I make it to the states, and while I know nothing about racing youre really selling the idea to me

xxx
Old 13 Jun 12, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow those RV's are amazing, my dream is to visit every state in one one day.

Nice to visit somewhere new, it sounds like everyone is really friendly.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List