Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Apr 12, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Fantasy Surf & Turf: Day 3 - Boarding The Fantasy

Today was a day that I had been looking forward to for nearly two years - we were finally going to go on the maiden voyage of the Disney Fantasy!

Thanks to a combination of jet lag, excitement and a very noisy air con unit I had a pretty restless night and at 5:30 I finally gave up trying to sleep and put my iPad on for a bit of surfing and to update my trip report.

I eventually got up just before 7:30 and after a wash and brush up we went out for a wander.

This actually said Disney Fantasy but I think the sign must have been refreshing too fast for my camera.

Once we got back we sat by the pool for an hour before going back to the room to collect our bags and check out.

We drove the short distance to Budget where I had my third 'Doh' moment of the holiday - as I got to the desk the lady asked me for the keys to the car and I couldn't find them anywhere! Bearing in mind I had only walked 100 yards from the car to the desk they couldn't have gone that far! I eventually found them on top of my suitcase underneath my hand luggage bag.

Unfortunately with all that kerfuffle we had missed the shuttle to the Fantasy and we had to wait quite a while for the next one. We were still at the cruise terminal for about 10:45 where we joined the back of a long queue to get into the terminal.

The queue moved quite quickly and so we were soon inside and picking up our lanyards and first Navigator.

Click for full size

Our boarding number had already been called so there was time for a few quick photos.

I had this big idea to video us as we boarded but due to a mixture of nervous excitement, being a bit self-conscious of holding the camera and trying to hold the camera and pull my bag at the same time it didn’t come out that great – but join us anyway as we board the Fantasy for the first time!

Our cabin was already ready so we made our way up to deck 7 and stateroom number 7082 where we met our stateroom host Donovan.

Continued in next post

Trip Reports: WDW '07 ~ WDW '08 ~ SF & Disneyland '08 ~ WDW '09 ~ Smokies '09 ~ DLP '10 ~ DCL '10 ~ Crown Princess '11 ~ WDW '11 ~ DCL '12 ~ DCL '13

wickesy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

From there we went up to Cabanas for lunch

and then back down to the cabin where one of our cases had arrived so Dad unpacked while I decorated our door.

Soon after that my case arrived so I unpacked and we then went off to explore the ship for the first time.

After wandering round for a while we went back up to deck 11 where we got a drink each and sat in the adult area for a while before going up to the Outlook bar on deck 11 where a Dismeet was taking place. I had only really gone up to get our DIS lanyards but it got to about 3:20 and there was no sign of them being handed out so we went back to the cabin and then down to our muster station for the lifeboat drill that was taking place at 3:45.

After the lifeboat drill we went up to deck 12 for the sail away party where there was a toast by Disney CEO, Bob Iger, President of Disney Cruise Line, Karl Holz and the chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts, Tom Staggs.

Continued in next post

Trip Reports: WDW '07 ~ WDW '08 ~ SF & Disneyland '08 ~ WDW '09 ~ Smokies '09 ~ DLP '10 ~ DCL '10 ~ Crown Princess '11 ~ WDW '11 ~ DCL '12 ~ DCL '13

wickesy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

We were soon under way and there were plenty of people about to see us off.

Once we passed the last part of land we went back downstairs, had a quick wander round the shops and then into the Walt Disney Theatre for the show, which tonight was magician Justin Willman. He was okay but I had seen variations of some of the tricks
before.

After the show we went up to La Piazza for a pre-dinner drink where we both had an Escalus.

From there we went down to dinner, which tonight was in the Enchanted Garden restaurant. We met our server, Noel from India, assistant server Jelena from Croatia and Head Server, Burak from Turkey - who had been our Head Server on our Baltic cruise on the Magic in 2010. We also met our table mates, Susan and Julie, and mother and daughter, Lyndsey and Nicole. We all seemed to get on really well which was good news for the upcoming week.

Dad started with stuffed brioche and I had stuffed cucumber roll, then we both had tomato soup, followed by pork tenderloin for Dad and sea bass for me. For dessert Dad had the banana sundae and I had the sweet temptations, which was strawberry cheesecake, “Sacher” chocolate torte and passion fruit tart.

After dinner we went back up to La Piazza where Dad had a Volto and I had a large Courvoisier, served by Vendy from Czech Republic, who was fast becoming our friend on this cruise.

Once we had finished our drinks we went back down to the cabin where we found our first fish extender gifts.

We were in bed at 11:30, which was really 10:30 as the clocks were going back tonight.

Day 4

Edited at 01:40 PM.
Old 13 Apr 12, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ploppy
Imagineer

Yay we're on board! Excellent read - can't wait to read more and see more pictures! I'm so jealous I wish I had been more on the ball and booked the maiden voyage. Can't wait till December 29th though when we will finally get to sail on her - hope she still feels like new!

Villa - '84, '85, '86, '91, '92, '93, '97, '04
West coast - '87, '89, '94, '98, '01, '10, '14
Onsite - '95, '99, '00, '02, '03, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, ‘18
Disney cruise - Wonder May '11, Fantasy NY 2011/12, Magic NY 2012/13, Dream Sept '16
Princess Ploppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
winotracy
Excited about Disney

Enjoying your reports. We've seen Vendy on a few other cruises and always enjoy seeing her!
winotracy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Wish they'd had special lanyards for the MV of the Dream .. I would have really liked those. We did get Dis ones though, but the DCL ones you got are lovely!

Nice champagne glasses too and I know you said that they'd learnt their lesson from the Dream MV and placed a glass per passenger in the staterooms. As you know, on the Dream, it was a free for all and some people got 6 (errr me!) and others got none.

Loving the Castaway Bag too ... have they changed them for everyone now as I can't stand the red duffle bag we were getting previously ... that blue one is much nicer!

Good to actually get onboard ... and much better drinking done today!
Old 13 Apr 12, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Nice champagne glasses too and I know you said that they'd learnt their lesson from the Dream MV and placed a glass per passenger in the staterooms. As you know, on the Dream, it was a free for all and some people got 6 (errr me!) and others got none.

Loving the Castaway Bag too ... have they changed them for everyone now as I can't stand the red duffle bag we were getting previously ... that blue one is much nicer!
I forgot to mention about the glasses in the trip report. For those who don't know, on the Dream I believe the glasses were given out at the sailaway party which, as Joa says meant that some people missed out, but on our cruise they were in the stateroom and the glasses at sailaway were all plain. I have read on another forum though that at least one party on our cruise didn't get their glasses at all so it still wasn't perfect.

I think the Castaway bag has changed for everyone as I saw a few of them about during the week.

Old 13 Apr 12, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkers
Imagineer

Yes the Fantasy ! , really great to see the ship leaving from a differnt view, I watched you sail away (well on the webcam) It must have been a great experience, can't wait for more.

Hilton Head April 2018
China & Japan Sept 2018
Portugal Oct 18
Tinkers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Fab day!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Mel
Imagineer

Florida Mel's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Wonderful trip report thank you for the video clips, I felt like I was on the ship with you
Florida Mel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread