Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Beryl, Breakdowns, Beauty and the Bates family - Day 3

Previously...
Pre-Trip
Day One - The Journey There
Day Two - Around the World at Epcot

Day Three - Sunday 27th May 2012 - Pool and Shopping

After yesterday's full day at Epcot and with jetlag catching up on us, we decided to have a day "off". For us, a day "off" meant going to the hotel pool in the morning and then shopping in the afternoon. That also meant there were less photos for today, sorry.

We were up at 6:30am today - a little later than yesterday - and had a slow start. So by the time we were ready for breakfast it was later in the morning. Because of that the breakfast area in the hotel was busy and got busier during our time there. Again, we didn't try the waffle makers as we couldn't get near them. However we did have a nice brekkie of scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, cinnamon buns, juice and coffee. Cinnamon buns for breakfast!

Then, it was back up to our room to get on our pool gear and back down to the pool - which you had to get through via the breakfast area.

The rectangular hotel pool was nothing special but was still great for Hannah to splash around in. It was enclosed on all sides by the hotel - so that meant at the start and end of the day it was in the shade (the sun did start shining on the pool near midday). Here's Hannah playing:

We had a nice relaxing time although the overly friendly American children spoilt it a little. Pesky kids.

Just after midday we left went back to our room to change and then headed out to do some shopping. First, though, we had lunch at the nearby Subway. This was nice - it was your typical Subway sandwiches - although I had a pizza sub which, because it was smothered in a tomato sauce, made it a bit soggy.

Then we got the I-Ride to the Premium Outlet Mall at the north end of International Drive - or Belz, as we still call it.

On the way I realised I'd read that the shops can get busy during Memorial weekend because of the sales. Indeed, the streets leading up the outlet were very busy and so it took us a little longer to get there. However, the shops themselves didn't seem busy at all. Certainly, not as bad as the Trafford Centre even when there aren't any sales. The only places that were busy were the coffee shops and eateries.

We then wandered around the shops, going into sports and shoe shops, Bath and Body Works, the Disney outlet and so on trying to find some 'bargains'. Rose-tinted glasses time:- Years ago, when we first came to Orlando 15 years ago, going to the outlets felt like a much better experience than it does now. There were outlet shops all down International Drive, not just clustered at either end, and it seemed like there were more bargains to be had. Mind you, we didn't have outlet malls here in the UK then - but now we have a couple within about half an hours drive near us so we're somewhat spoiled.

Hannah was also unimpressed with the Disney outlet shop. Last time there had been some good pins but not today; the selection was small and unimpressive.

Anyway, both Hannah and Michelle got some Converses and Hannah got a few other bits and bobs. We again had the usual ice cream break in the afternoon. Also, at one point it rained a little during the afternoon - we were in and out of the shops so it didn't affect us but we'd heard on the weather reports there was some wetter weather on its way. This looked like the start of it.

At about 5:30pm we got on the I-Ride back to our hotel. The return journey was a lot slower because International Drive was mega-busy. It took ages to get down the north end until Sand Lake - in fact, some people got off and walked and I think they were quicker than us!

So, by the time we got back to the hotel, we were famished. We quickly dropped off our things and headed out to Friendly's, which was (sort of) just across the road:

It was also busy here and we waited a little while to get shown to a table. The service here wasn't that great. Our server kept disappearing. I overheard him talking to a couple behind us saying that normally he didn't start until 6pm and he'd been called in at 4pm to start so it was a long day. But this was just after 7pm so he'd only been working for 3 hours!

Anyway, whilst we waited a woman came round doing balloon modelling and made Hannah a rabbit:

Hannah seemed to be quite specific in what she wanted. It was supposed to have a white head and face with a black body. Otherwise, a good job!

I had a honey BBQ chicken sandwich, Michelle had a burger and Hannah had a chicken wrap (just like she did yesterday..!). I couldn't finish my meal - there was too much and the honey BBQ sauce was a little too sickly sweet. Hannah also had a large ice cream sundae which we all shared. But our server took ages to get it and then didn't quite bring up the right thing (I suppose it was close enough though). All in all, it cost about $35 for the lot.

Our stomachs full, we wandered around some gift shops nearby and then back to the hotel. We were then in bed asleep before 10pm.

Food Score: 6/10. Not bad, but the service in Friendly's was poor, which put us off going again.

Next...
Beryl Strikes at Seaworld

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 07:32 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 12, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Our 'rest ' days are a bit like yours.
Enjoying reading your report.
Old 20 Jun 12, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another good report, waiting for more
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 12, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Nice rest day, shame about service at friendlys.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 12, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
anniebee65
Imagineer

Great day! We spent our first night at that hotel last year. Did you find the A/C noisy? Ours was quite a racket.

The brekkie was good though
anniebee65 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 12, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Sorry Friendly's wasn't up to usual standard - we usually have a great meal and service there.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 12, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by anniebee65 View Post
Great day! We spent our first night at that hotel last year. Did you find the A/C noisy? Ours was quite a racket.

The brekkie was good though
The A/C was a bit noisy, yes. We switched it off over night. Personally, I would've kept it on but I was out-voted. Considering it was noisiest in the living room and that's where my daughter was sleeping, she was the one most affected by it.

And brekkie was good. A bit samey after two weeks, I suppose. Mind you, I just eat cereal and toast nearly every day here at home.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 12, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Shame about the meal but otherwise a great day.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 12, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
k l is excited
Imagineer

I love your kind of rest day, this is just what I have in mind for our trip in August.
Old 21 Jun 12, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Nice day.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List