Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Talking FMD Day 8 Anna Maria Island Final Island Day

Anna Maria Island

Friday 7th September

Weather a few showers but mainly hot

Up at around 5.30am, our last day on Anna Maria Island

When the day eventually broke we could see the rain columns moving slowly towards us across the ocean, it looked really very cool, I’m quite fascinated by the weather and been this close to the ocean with a clear view we could see the weather coming in from miles away. We planned to run this morning and we decided to go ahead and run on the beach in the rain.

We thought the rain would feel cool and help us run, but in fact the moisture in the air increased the humidity making running hard work even with the ocean breeze, and unfortunately Michaels’ old injury started to show signs of returning so we cut our run short, no point injuring himself and spoiling the holiday

After showers and breakfast we decided to head to a Target for razor blades and other bits and bats that are way cheaper in the states, I was so busy shopping I totally forgot to buy my own razor blades, I’m so easily distracted in the big shiny shops with all the things they have that we don’t, I’m a marketing dream.

Onto another Westfield shopping centre in Sarasota, oh my word! it was like gods waiting room, the shops were a bit of a letdown in some ways, not very good anyone looking for A&F or Hollister it caters to the local demographic which is around 75 plus

Macys had a sale on and whilst trying on a few things I heard some moans and groans from the dressing room next door, I asked if everything was alright and was told to 'mind my own damn business' Blimey I thought, I had a few things bubbling away in my head to say but decided to just laugh it off, it was pretty funny!

On walking to pay I followed an older lady who loudly, passed gas several times, I was trying not to laugh or breath through my nose.

The lingerie department was more brushed nylon than Agent Provocateur lol and smelt faintly of wee

I did get a few things from Saks of 5th Avenue from the Trish McEvoy concession. I got my nails done at the Salon there $25 for gel nails they were perfect and lasted over 3 weeks! My lady was called Lynn that made the trip totally worth while also only took 25 minutes including a great manicure!

We drove back home via Long Boat Key, changed and headed out for our final evening on the Island, first job was to take the cycles back we needed to return them before 5pm, it saved us a job tomorrow. We cycled to the Sandbar we had heard so much about, the cycle to here was tortuous, it wasn’t the distance, it was the heat the sun was burning down and sucking the life out of us

The indoor part of the Sandbar was shut but the famed outdoor was open, it was ok but we had to wait a while to be served despite it not been full, eventually a guy from another section came to look after us because our server was MIA, normally we wouldn’t have cared but we were on the clock to get the cycles back for 5pm, we had a Red stripe and half a pound of shrimp Michael had coconut shrimp, his were great mine had an odd chemically flavour so I didn't eat them all I nicked some of Michaels instead. It’s a very pleasant place to sit and enjoy the view, I would visit again and try lunch or dinner

The thought of getting on a bike again was not thrilling me but it was only a few hundred metres this time. Soon the bikes were delivered safely back to the shop we were heading to the Pier but the heat was so intense we had nip into Two Scoops and have some ice cream

The ice cream shop is delightful, I had birthday cake batter and Michael Butter Pecan, Michael bought a cup from there too, whilst we were eating our ice cream the old lady serving left the shop so there we were all alone, There was a sign in the shop that read

' any unattended children will be given Espresso and a Puppy' love it!

When we left we saw too little birds trying to cool off in a puddle, I wished I could join them!

Onwards to the pier where we shared a starter portion of aha aha tuna and a beer whilst watching the fisherman, totally fascinating, we were lucky enough to see a guy catch a huge fish which caused quite a stir and he did have to throw it back

We also saw some kids catch two rays and neither they nor their parents seemed to want to throw them back it was making us both quite angry so we moved away.

Meanwhile on the pier there is a little outdoor pier area and the locals were gathering for Friday afternoon beers it was a great atmosphere along with a guy singing and playing guitar

From there we decided to go to the Waterfront , we had eaten here earlier in the week and really enjoyed it. I had a glass of $7 Champagne that was really very good and Michael had a red wine, served cold once again lol

We shared 3 starters, blue crab stuffed shrimp, scallop Caesar salad all three were amazing and although we were stuffed we couldn't stop eating them, in my opinion this place is head and shoulders above the Beach Bistro we really enjoyed this place

We caught the free trolley back to Manatee Beach which is a minutes walk from the condo, we nick named the it the 'Trollied Trolley' because if you fancy a few drinks this is a great way to get around the island without worrying about cars bikes or taxis

So for our final night, like every other night we sat on the balcony watching the sun set and finally sink leaving the skies full of lovely colours and patterns. We played the ‘what’s that cloud look like’ game, Michael pointed out that nearly every cloud I spot somehow looks like Elvis or a Red Indian or and Elvis Red Indian, lots of silly fun by about 9.30pm we were in bed watching COPS ... bad boys bad boys what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when they come for you ... sorry I cant help it
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 12, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds like a lovely day, great piccies! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 12, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post

great report! we will be staying at AMI for four days of our trip so really good to see some pics and your reviews of eating/drinking places.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 12, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Fab day

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 12, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Lovely pictures-the Waterfront is my fav eating place on AMI too-I know the Sandbar has the sunsets but Waterfronts food is much nicer
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 12, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Another Beaut day

Would you go back Aly?
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 12, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
Another Beaut day

Would you go back Aly?
Yes I would, in fact I'm looking at going back there in May instead of the Keys, just trying to convince Michael of the additional travelling time, it's quite a hike from Miami.

I really enjoyed the pace and I just loved the ocean.
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 12, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Another fab day - we too had lunch at the Sandbar and enjoyed it .
Must try it at sunset next time.
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 12, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Originally Posted by Helen0705 View Post
Another fab day - we too had lunch at the Sandbar and enjoyed it .
Must try it at sunset next time.
You are right Helen, I think because we were rushing to get the bikes back before closing time we didn't appreciate the place quite as we should of done
Old 5 Oct 12, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Great day. I have been really enjoying your trippies - I will be using it as a template when we no longer take the kids with us
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List