Old 12 Jan 13, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Can't believe this will be our 4th trip, and no Brangelina! Aug 13

Hello everyone.

Our first trip to Florida was in 2009 and was the 'Holiday of a Lifetime' trip. Never thought we would be going for the 4th time this year when we booked our first trip. The main reason we didn't go in 2011 was because my sister got married in Santorini so that was our holiday that year.

There are two main reasons for the trip this year, the first one being my sister is making the trip for the first time so will be brilliant to all be at the same place again because her wedding was brilliant - her in-laws are the ones who have booked their villa and its a big family thing for them, just like the wedding so really looking forward to meeting up with them too.

The other reason - last years trip has left a sour taste in our mouthes because the 'friends' (Brangelina) who came with us couldn't have done less if they tried. I wouldn't say they ruined the trip fully but if that was our first experience of Florida I don't think we would go again.

So, who is going.

That'll be me - Dave

Thats me wearing my Fake Birthday T-Shirt I had printed as my birthday is in January - I am usually ill on it (I was this year) so wanted to have my special day (it was all a bit of fun and an excuse to have a few too many beers in Epcot).

My better half - Lindsay

Thats here on her actual birthday at the top and us together below (with me looking tanned even though that was day 1 - I dont tan really so not sure whats going on there). Lindsay absolutely loves Florida (so I have earn't many bonus points this week booking flights), but she is terrified on roller coasters - mostly refusing to open her eyes.

Emily - our little girl

Thats Emily doing what she does best - eating ice cream. She's 9 now but just like her mum likes roller coasters when she is on them, getting her on one is another matter.

So far all we have done is book the flights which I did earlier this week.

We are going from 20th August until 6th September, and fly US Airways from Manchester to Philadelphia and then onwards to Orlando - same stopover on the way back.

We had the villa lined up which was the same one we had last year which was superb, but literally minutes before I was going to pay the deposit someone else booked it through and agent and paid their deposit so we missed out. Might not be a bad thing because I like to try new things anyway.

My sister and family arrive on 24th which is a few days after us. We are thinking of spending the first few days over in Clearwater having some beach days before spending the remainder (2 weeks) in a villa. Cost shouldn't really be a factor, clearly we will have to book a hotel for 3 nights but that means we will save a little on the villa stay so it evens itself out a little.

So let the planning commence.

Here are our 2012 pre-trip reports (you may remember them)
Part 1
Part 2

Edited at 10:38 PM. Reason: Title change
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 13, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
great start!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 13, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tink3
VIP Dibber

Wow, it doesn't seem that long ago I was reading last pre-trip report. I look forward to reading more of your plans.

I am really pleased to see that you wore your T-Shirt, what reaction did you get from the Disney cast members?

Even miracles take a little time - The Fairy Godmother

Aug 16-Oak Island Cove/Polynesian/HRH
Oct/Nov 15-Windwood Bay/AKL
May 14-Calabay Park @TL/AKL
Feb/Mar 13-Clear Creek
Aug 11-Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Mar/Apr 11-Calabay Park
Apr 08-Lake Davenport Estates
tink3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 13, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
To be honest, the cast members didn't seem to pay much attention to it. I think they are only pre-programmed to react to the badges they give out so I should have gotten one of those.

Haven't decided if I will do the same again this year - I may though (I can't wear that t-shirt again because it had the date on it )
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 13, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Well, after lots of searching and checking out villas we have booked one now. The one we have chosen is really close to where my sister is staying, The Hamlet at West Haven (they are staying at The Shire at West Haven).

Its a really lovely villa and after sending off loads of enquiries they came back and we were really interested in it - when we checked their website they only live about 5 miles away from us in the same town (small world).

Really excited (and poorer) even though its ages off.

(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
Old 2 Feb 13, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Well, its under 200 days till we go - remember being at that point last year and the time flew (although in that time I had back surgery and then the recovery of that to keep me occupied).

We fly to Orlando on 20th August but have only booked the villa from 23rd because we are going to spend the first few days before my sister and her extended family arrive in Clearwater as we have been promising ourselves we will go there on previous trips and never have. Busy looking at the options of hotels there - not sure if we should go for cheap, cheerful and functional as we will likey be out most of those days or something a little bit more expensive to treat ourselves. Its fun looking at the options anyway.

Things still to do:-

Clearwater Beach Hotel - decide on this and get it booked.

Car hire - not sure what type of car to go for this time. No immediate rush on that as waiting to see what offers appear.

What park tickets? - we have done the parks to death but because my sister and her family will be there we would like to go to the parks with them too so will likely still get the Disney Ultimate and Universal 14 day tickets. Going to give Seaworld and Busch Gardens a miss this year. Probably will pay LegoLand a visit as didn't last year.

The planning continues ...
Old 4 Apr 13, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Originally Posted by FloridaDave View Post
Things still to do:-

Clearwater Beach Hotel - decide on this and get it booked.

Car hire - not sure what type of car to go for this time. No immediate rush on that as waiting to see what offers appear.

What park tickets? - we have done the parks to death but because my sister and her family will be there we would like to go to the parks with them too so will likely still get the Disney Ultimate and Universal 14 day tickets. Going to give Seaworld and Busch Gardens a miss this year. Probably will pay LegoLand a visit as didn't last year.

The planning continues ...
Well, can't believe its now under 20 weeks (or 140 days) till we go.

Of the things listed above, I have booked and paid for the hotel on Clearwater Beach for the first 3 nights. Ended up booking the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites because it looks really nice and for the price I paid I really cant complain - Virgin Holidays were by far the best price on this hotel and it included the parking too.

I've just now booked the car hire. Usually we go with an agent that uses Dollar so that we can go straight to the garage and the prices are usually really good for what car we want. This time Alamo Brits have come out best (only in last few days having dropped the prices down as they shot up for some reason for a month). Ended up booking a Standard SUV and hope we get a new Ford Escape which will be plenty big enough for the 3 of us (perhaps 4 if my brother does come along).

So - the list of things still to do is now:-

Packing Cubes - Having seen a thread about them - need to get myself some of those packing cubes to make packing more organised.

Park Tickets - Still need to decide what we are getting and get them ordered. Probably will get these around May/June time as no rush.

Money - Keeping a close eye on exchange rates (no immediate rush) but will get a FairFX card and start loading it up as we get closer to the holiday (even being quite sad with a spreadsheet calculating the rates, per day spends etc.).

I think those are the 3 main things on the agenda now for this trip. So just need that clock to count down and we will be there in no-time
Old 5 Apr 13, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Enjoyed reading you report so far, looking forward to more
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 13, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
We have a little more progression on our trip so far.

Ordered a FairFX $ card the other day when the rate hit 1.52, so that's the spends in progress. Already had $400 in cash left over from last year so will probably get a bit more in cash before we go and load considerably more than the $760 I have put on the card as I think this year is going to be 'spendtastic' with having family there too.

Just updated our ESTA's with the address information where we are staying on the first night - know that probably wasn't necessary but better to be safe than sorry and only took a few minutes to do.

We still have to decide what park tickets to get - that decision will be made in the next month or so I guess as we really need to have a proper sit down with my sister and her in-laws who are also going (separately) to help them plan out their holiday as I seriously think they are just winging it (they were planning on just going to the car hire desk at the airport and sorting out car hire when they get there! ) - once we organise them a little better we will then know what days we are going to spend together which will dictate a little what park ticket we need to get.

We are approaching the double digits mark in the next few weeks - currently got 115 days to go.

Oh - and we are now considering driving up to St. Augustine too and spending the day there. I think we are likely only to be able to fit in 1 day there so will mean an early drive up and a late drive back so its not certain what we are going to do but it would be nice to go there too.

Time is ticking away nicely and won't be long now. Going to go look for some packing cubes now to tick them off the list too
Old 27 Apr 13, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

Hi Dave

Enjoyed reading your holiday plans. Hope you all have an amazing time together, i'm sure you will

Great rate on the FairFX card Think I missed the boat on that one

I just noticed when you went in 2009 you stayed in Clear Creek. We have our villa booked there, can I ask how did you found the location? I'm a bit worried it looks a bit further out.

Thanks