Old 25 Feb 13, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Just Me and My Girl - Oct 2012 - Day 15

Day 15 – The one with the tragically depressed

Connie slept like a log last night, I on the other hand became best friends with the bathroom and spent a very restless night checking that the bathroom was ok at regular intervals. So it was, because of this, that I ditched the plan of getting up super early and taking the bags to check in at Virgin at DTD, instead I took it easy cramming everything into our now swollen huge bags and wow it actually all went in! Once we were ready we went down to get some breakfast Connie was hungry so I got her an adult breakfast platter

and I had this, well about half of this actually!

We popped back to the hotel room and gave bell services a call to come and fetch the bags which they did within ten minutes.

Our room was the one with the white door.

We were now bag free and the sun was out and it was hot (typical!) so we caught the bus to have one last spin around Magic Kingdom, we always have to start and finish here it is now tradition!

We got to MK at midday and wandered down Mainstreet it all seemed quite empty today and we had our last few photo pass pictures taken in front of the castle it was so bright though we kept our eyes closed while the shots were set up and then the photographer said now and we opened our eyes to get half way decent shots. He was a very chatty guy and was asking about the best way to drink tea as he was going to give up coffee and try tea instead, funny the things you talk about at Disney!

We went and picked up a couple of fast passes for Peter Pan as we had been unable to ride this yesterday, then we set sail on its a Small World one last time. I was beginning to feel a little better and having quite a few snack credits left and not wanting to over do it we went to Liberty square market and got a baked potato and corn on the cob. This was really delicious and really hit the mark and for the first time in a couple of days I enjoyed my food, plus really good value as a snack credit as it came with cheese, butter and sour cream, yummy.

We called in at Yankee Traders because I really wanted a Minnie Mouse apron and while we were in there we also spotted toast stencils and Mickey Egg shapers, so now we are at home on Sunday mornings I wear my special apron and make Connie Mickey shaped fried eggs served with Mickey toast!

Back over to Fantasyland we rode the Carousel and Connie had one last go at getting that sword out of the stone, no luck, then our time was up for the fast passes for Peter Pan, we waved goodbye to Ariel as we passed.

A quick spin on the teacups and then over to Dumbo after all we couldn't go without one last ride on the flying elephant. As we went through the gate to board the ride Connie stopped and held my hand with both of hers and said “ Mummy, thank you for bringing me on holiday”. Its these moments that make parenthood so worthwhile and very, very precious.

As we hadn't done a full circuit of the park we caught the train at the new station and rode all the way round to frontierland where we arrived just in time to catch the 3pm Parade. We did a spot of bird watching or was he doing a spot of people watching I guess we will never know!

The parade was tinged with a little sadness as it felt like the characters were waving us goodbye.

Time was marching but we thought we might have time for one last pineapple dole whip but the queue was so long that we had to leave without that last treat. We now had to walk very quickly up Mainstreet which was probably good not to linger to long as I was feeling quite sad, I did not look back at the castle, just kept going.

Continued below
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
We caught the bus immediately and were soon back at POFQ. Connie was hungry and still having some Counter Credits left we got her an adult Chicken nugget meal mainly so we could get the mickey ears crispy treat to bring home.

We went to bell services and retrieved the small bags and then went and used the bathroom in the hotel foyer to change into our travelling clothes. Once changed we popped into the shop and used our remaining snack credits on more crispy treats and our favourite kettle corn, all very light so shouldn't make any difference to the bag weight.

Back to bell services and we collected our other 2 huge bags and then sat and waited for the Tragic Depress (Magic Express) bus to arrive. Connie jumped around a lot using up her last reserves of energy all a good thing for the long flight home. The bus didn't conform to Disney standards and was 25 minutes late arriving. But all too soon we were on our way back under the magic arches and watching the videos of happy people arriving for their next vacation, way to go Disney rub salt in wounds, I would!

The journey was very quick and at the airport I made the wise decision to use Skycap to move our bags to the bag drop off area. I gave the helper $15 which was probably way more than was necessary but after our arrival experience it was worth every penny.

Luggage weigh in was a nerve racking experience but one bag was slightly under and the other was slightly over so together weighed in at exactly 46 kilos, phew. However it was probably a good job that they didn't weigh the hand luggage as I really didnt want to ditch the soap!

We were bag free at 18.45 and now I was starving so we went and got a trusty MacDonald's which I really enjoyed. Interestingly Connie didn't like her burger she normally wolfs them down at home, I just hoped she wasn't getting what I had had the last 2 days.

With a few dollars still burning a hole in my purse we set out to spend them, Connie soon spotted the Build a Bear workshop and with the aid of the kind assistant we came out with a load more stuff for the bear back home at really bargain prices. Connie had her last pictures with some dear old friends and as ever she just had to pose by the water feature.

We had been told to make sure we were at the gate at least an hour before departure so we went through security and rode the monorail to the gate. The place was heaving and we waited an eternity to board the plane but Connie was as good as gold playing on her leappad. Eventually about ¾ hour later than we were due to take off we were called on board.

We were soon pushing back from the gate and going towards the runway the engines revved up and then for some reason stopped. There was a bit of a kerfuffle going on further up the plane with flight attendants rushing about. Eventually the captain said that a passenger was ill and that they needed to get a doctor on board. So we waited. There were a number of upset children crying and crying wanting drinks, Connie said she was thirsty but I just said sorry but you will have to wait a little while, again she was brilliant and didn't say another word about it.

About 20 minutes later it was decided that the little girl that was ill was too poorly to travel and that they had to get her, her family and all their bags off the plane. That must have been a horrible way to end a holiday for some poor family. We also had to wait for the paperwork to be authorised for the plane to be refilled with fuel because having revved the engines they now needed to refill the tanks. It all took a very long time and we finally took off 2 and a half hours after we were due to leave.

After Connie had a drink she just snuggled up in her fleecy blanket and went to sleep too tired to eat, she didn't wake up again until 15 minutes before we were coming into land. I skipped dinner having eaten earlier but drank lots of water and tea. I was planning on getting some sleep but that in flight entertainment is too good and I got caught up in a 5 part mini series that was good but I cant even remember the name of it now. But it did the job and we passed into daylight and soon came flying into a very sunny but frosty Gatwick.

Passing through security I was quizzed about my relationship to Connie and they asked if I had proof that she was mine, we have different surnames, so I showed them her birth certificate that I always carry on holiday. They then gave me a leaflet about abduction by parents and taking children out of the country. This all seemed a very odd way to go about things wouldn't you have thought they might ask you before you leave Britain not when you are bringing a child back into the country!

My parents were both at the arrivals gate to meet us, Connie was so happy to see her Pompom. I noticed that my Dad had lost weight and said so and it was then that they told me that 3 days after Dad had taken us to the airport he had ended up in hospital with multiple pulmonary embolisms on both lungs!

We were soon in the car with bags just fitting in and being driven back home to Suffolk. This time Mum was in charge of making sure that Dad behaved and didn't get too close to the cars in front regularly applying her own imaginary brake. I, on the other hand, was fast asleep in the back with my girl dreaming of mice and magic and holiday sandwiches.

The Index is here
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
helbel84
Apprentice Imagineer

I have really enjoyed reading your trip report, looks like you had a magical time! Thanks for sharing :-)
helbel84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
I've loved your trippie. I hope in years to come it helps you relive those wonderful memories. I'd like to add that Connie is a credit to you - you must be so proud of her.

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you for this amazing trippie. I have enjoyed every second. Connie is indeed a little cutie and an absolute credit to you!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Fantastic report thanks for sharing.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you so much for writing your report. I have loved reading it. Hope you get to go again soon so I can read another one!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Granbran
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I've loved reading your report!
Hope your Dad is keeping OK now.
1991 Days Inn,1993/96/98 Flydrive,1994 Catalina Inn,2000 Lindfields,2003 Thousand Oaks, 2004/2006 Liki Tiki,2005 Cruise,2007/2008 Regal Palms,2010 High Grove,2011 Star Island, 2012 Marriots Cypress Harbour,2013 SSR/Sheraton Vistana,2015 Calabria,2016 India,2017Westgate/Cabana Bay,2017POFQ/WestgateTown,2018 India,2019 CBR&Westgate Town
Granbran is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

I haven't posted after each day but I would just like to say that I have loved your reports. You obviously had a wonderful time and made some lovely memories for you both, Connie is gorgeous xx
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 13, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sorry the trip has ended I have really enjoyed reading about all you got up to it has been fantastic with special moments for you both and of course a few odd moments,

I hope your Dad continues to get better, we always say if anything happens while we are away best not to say anything as there isn't much we can do from over the water

Joan