Notices

Old 6 Jun 13, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Hi Sierras here we come!

A few weeks ago I didn't think I would be writing any trippies let alone one for a California road trip

We had planned and budgetted/saved for a blow out family holiday as it was dh 50th and our 25th wedding anniversary. We had hoped to do West Coast again and possibly add on a week in Hawaii. However everything conspired against us dd and I both work in schools so can't take holidays in term time. ds finishes exams mid June but is away for 2 weeks in August with scouts (Switzerland, planned for the last 2 years) and then we have to be home to get his results so no 2 week yet alone 3 week block before me and dd back at school on 3rd September. Finally I was told I need shoulder surgery asap with a 6-12 week recovery.

Dh was obviously very irritated by this state of affairs and when a single childless well travelled colleague of his mentioned that BA had a luxury seat sale on he was hooked and before we knew it we had booked outward Club World to Las Vegas with the return from LA, convincing me that the extra comfort would mean I'd be ok on the flight.

So... from an original cast of 4 we are now down to a luxury couple holiday. A bit disappointed as would have been lovely to share with the kids but still have my 50th in a couple of years to remedy that one.

We know it will be a crammed holiday and won't do the state justice but we can still go back so here is our rough rough plan which I know some will say is too busy but then we have never been lazy holiday folk and dh is quite happy driving distances (think Southampton to Oban/Aviemore/Elgin for a weekend!) We also got some of the route ideas from coach tour itineraries so it is possible!

Day 1 Sunday 4th August 2013 Fly out BA Club World 16.40 arriving Vegas time just after 7pm, just time to get to hotel, maybe some food and crash out.

Day 2 Monday 5th August 2013 Hoover Dam and Vegas

Day 3 Tuesday 6th August 2013 Grand Canyon

Day 4 - Wednesday 7th August 2013 leave Vegas for Mammoth via Death Valley

Day 5 - Thursday 8th August 2013 Mammoth to Yosemite

Day 6 - Friday 9th August 2013 Yosemite

Day 7 - Saturday 10th August 2013 Yosemite to San Francisco

Day 8 - Sunday 11th August 2013 San Francisco

Day 9 - 11 Monday to Wednesday 12th August to 14th August 2013 San Francisco to LA with stops on way down Hwy 1.

Day 12 - Thursday 15th August 2013 Disney? or another WB studio tour which we loved last time!

Day 13 - Friday 16th August 2013 Leave LA 21.30 so almost full day to do something, although as it is Friday will have to leave plenty of time to get to the airport.

Arrive home on Saturday afternoon just in time to get our washing started before ds arrives home on Sunday morning with his 2 weeks worth!

So far we have investigated several hotels, some recommended on the Dibb such as the Fogcatcher in Cambria. We have looked into car hire, def need an SUV for the mountain/desert roads, learnt that from our day in the mountains last year. And finally, my big worry, have got insurance sorted. I phoned around and found an annual policy that doesn't need any fit to fly certificates and will cover for everything except the exact problem on my shoulder which is great. Although we still have the worry of dh dad but dh is ok with that, so fine by me, I couldn't go when my dad was ill but we are all different.

Think that is everything, will just enjoy watching my countdown now
Old 6 Jun 13, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Fabulous looking trip!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 13, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Having realised we need to get something organised hotel wise for our trip we sat down and tried to firm it up, this is what we've tweeked it to

Day 1 Sunday 4th August 2013 Fly out BA Club World 16.40 arriving Vegas time just after 7pm, just time to get to collect car get to hotel, either Bellagio or Cosmo, maybe some food and crash out.

Day 2 Monday 5th August 2013 Hoover Dam and cruise the strip, I want to visit the Venetian and some others. Maybe a show in the evening

Day 3 Tuesday 6th August 2013 Maybe fly out to Grand Canyon or do a drive by Nellis AFB and Red Rock Canyon

Day 4 - Wednesday 7th August 2013 leave Vegas for Mammoth via Death Valley. Decided only to do one night in Mammoth, probably the Monache Resort

Day 5 - Thursday 8th August 2013 Mammoth to Yosemite, coming in via Mono Lake, Tioga Pass. Only a short journey so hope to also have a look around. Looking at hotels in Mariposa for 2 nights.

Day 6 - Friday 9th August 2013 Yosemite. Our main day, looked at NPS website and there are 3 easy 1 hour walks we hope to do.

Day 7 - Saturday 10th August 2013 Yosemite to Sausalito. Decided not to stay in San Fran, hoping to call in at the Jelly Belly factory in Suisan and look around Sausalito that evening.

Day 8 - Sunday 11th August 2013 San Francisco. DH friend has given him a one day to do SF guide! Although not sure if we are going to do Alcatraz (I'm the party pooper, don't like boats and also get scared/creeped out v easily! ) but want to do Disney Museum and see the Yoda fountain. Drive down to Santa Cruz/Monterey that evening.

Day 9 Monday another night in Monterey area, with a quiet day just wandering. Although DH talking about doing the "mystery spot"?

Day 10 & 11 - Tuesday& Wednesday, move to Cambria for 2 nights, either the Cambrian Pines or Fogcatcher. Hearst Castle and chill time.

Day 12 & 13 - Thursday & Friday Stay around LA, Santa Monica or even Anaheim,possibly Grand Californian Who knows, very fluid around here. I would love to go to Disney but sooo expensive. Would love a meal at Wine Trattoria again and then World of Colour but not sure I can justify it. Anyway leave LA 21.30 so almost full day to do something, although as it is Friday will have to leave plenty of time to get to the airport.

Arrive home on Saturday afternoon just in time to get our washing started before ds arrives home on Sunday morning with his 2 weeks worth!

Off now to work out costs, this is not going to be a cheap trip by any stretch but a fitting way to celebrate dh 50th and our 25th wedding anniversary
Old 24 Jun 13, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds awesome, it was my hubbys 50th in Feb and our 25th Anniversary in August! We went to Vegas for the birthday and off in Sept for our Anni. We've stayed at Bellagio a couple of times, absolutely fabulous although if you have a fountain view they are quite noisy, sounds like a cannon going off every 15 mins! We stayed at the Signature this year, absolutely fab! Happy planning, Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 13, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds great!
Old 27 Jun 13, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Looking good and yep, you're right...not as crazy as mine but still full on It's gonna be great. Which parts of Cali have you been too before? x
Old 27 Jun 13, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by seobaina View Post
Looking good and yep, you're right...not as crazy as mine but still full on It's gonna be great. Which parts of Cali have you been too before? x
We did 8 days in Anaheim last year, here's my trippie

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=638694

we only booked it with about a weeks notice
Old 4 Jul 13, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Think this might be our 3rd time lucky final finalised trip plan assuming the hotels we want are available.

Here it is

Arrive 4th August and stay in the Bellagio for 3 nights in a premier fountain view room. Want to visit the Strip hotels, Hoover Dam, Nellis AFB, Red Rock Canyon and possibly ( flight over Grand Canyon) try to get a show in too maybe O

7th August move to Mammoth drive up via Death Valley. Stay at the Village Lodge for 2 nights. Go up to Mono Lake and Tioga Pass. Yosemite as well.

9th August move to Mariposa, The Monarch for 1 night, more Yosemite

10th August move to Sausalito, Cavallo Point, Contemporary room with Golden Gate View , for 2 nights. Try to visit Jelly Belly Factory in Suisan, Napa, DH has friend in San Fran who said he will show it to us in a day (think its a Sunday) - Disney Family Museum, Fishermans Wharf, Ghiardelli Square, Union Square, Yoda Fountain. We won't be doing Alcatraz as I don't want to and Dh won't do it on his own! Maybe Muir Woods on way down to Monterey, maybe Mystery spot to but apparently queues can be huge.

12th August move to Cambria, Fogcatcher, for 2 nights, Hearst Castle, Regan Libraries

14th August move to Sheraton Park, Anaheim, club floor Disney view for 2 nights, We picked this as we enjoyed our time there last year

16th Fly home

So a mad cap not quite 2 weeks but looking forward to being with dh on our own!
Old 3 Aug 13, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Well Olci done, row 60 a&b Nice little time checking in on my phone and then trying to get the app to get my boarding pass, them BA people don't make it simple! House cleaning almost done, ds seen off to Switzerland with scouts. My packing on spare bed, dh's on floor, his job to put it in the cases. Tonight, sort the paperwork and guide books, tomorrow, shower and preening before leaving at lunchtime.

Dh has set up a twitter feed and we hope to have online accessibility. My ta has also been great, he phoned yesterday to say he has already reminded the Bellagio we are arriving and it is a special holiday and will do the same for the other hotels on our route a couple of days before we are due in each. Now I just want to get on my way as then my nerves calm down - not really up to eating anything at the moment, just drinking loads of squash and water, good for the waistline though, hopefully piccies will be better this year
Old 3 Aug 13, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
TracyW
Imagineer

Have a wonderful time!

Amerihost Resort 2002, ASMovies May/June 2004, AKL 7/8 June 2004, ASMovies April 2006, DLRP Explorers Hotel Nov 2006, CB Aug 2008, Sequoia Lodge DLRP Aug 2009, POR Oct 2011, West Coast 2013, POR 2015, AMI 2015, DLC 2017, POR 2023
TracyW is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List