Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 17 Jul 13, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
The Tiki Feast – 18 days of ddp June/July 2013 (more at last)

This is my first attempt at a food report so please be kind... Sometimes I forgot the photo but I’ll do my best.

Quick service
We practically ate our way through the menu at Captain Cooks at the Poly
Contempo Cafe
Cosmic Rays
Earl of Sandwich – no photos

Table Service
Tusker House - Breakfast done
Be our guest - done
Sci fi Diner x2 1 done Dh best steak (yes really!)
Kona done. Mil best pudding!
Grand Floridian Cafe done. Best breakfast
Teppan Edo - done - best dinner
Ohana – Breakfast done
Mama Melrose – Fantasmic Package done - ds best calamari
T-rex - done best theming!
Rainforrest Cafe – Animal Kingdom - done
Narcoosses done
Chef de France done
Lombards – Universal Studios done
Pool Bar – Royal Pacific Hotel – no photos - done
Mythos – Islands of Adventure done
Ohana – Dinner
Tokyo
Saana
Crystal Palace - Breakfast done
Yachtsman
Garden Grill

More later, away to figure out how to add photos

Edited at 11:06 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 13, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Captain Cooks.

I wasn’t really sure what this would be like but I don’t think we had anything that we didn’t like, it was really handy so we ate there a lot. We tended to order 3 adult meals and share, we had loads of qsdp credits left so I don’t feel I cheated Disney in anyway by mainly ordering adult meals.

It’s not that big a place so a few times we just took the food to the quiet pool or to our room. It could also be crazy busy especially before wishes and DH says the queues he saw on 3rd and 4th of July, when he went to fill our mugs, was mental, all the way out the door!

•DS Favourite kids breakfast – the Mickey Waffles – came with natural yogurt with blueberries and little tub of mixed fuit.

•Pepperoni Flatbread- We ordered this a few times as a snack and shared it between the 4 of us. Much lighter than a pizza and tasty, not much pepperoni though if you are a lover of toppings!

•Kids grilled chicken and pineapple skewer – DS really liked this and I had a taste, it was good! It’s not a huge portion but DS was more than happy to steal some of our fries to fill him up.

More captain cooks to follow but checking I am doing this right for now
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 13, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Looks great so far! Love food reports!
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 13, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

yip looks fab so far ...note to self...do not read food reports near supper time
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 13, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ROO
Imagineer

ROO's Reviews
Oh good a new food report. Looking good can't wait to read more.
Old 17 Jul 13, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Great, it seems to be working okay. I spent so much time salavating over food reports that I felt I needed to do one of my own.
More Captain Cooks...

Kids sweet and sour chicken – I had this one night when I really had had enough food.. It was pretty nice but it could have done with some rice, it was just the chicken and veg.

•Tuna Croissant – This was Mil preferred choice – think she got fed up with the large portions so this was ideal for her. These were kept in the fridge and you could still have this as part of your ddp entitlement.

•Bacon Cheesburger – I lost count how many of these DH ate so they must have been good!

•Chicken Noodles – lovely, really tasty and a fair amount of eating but didn’t leave you stuffed!

•Kids grilled cheese – DS didn’t like this at all but DH and Mil thought it was good. Too plain and dry for me!

Adult Grilled Cheese – sooooooo good! My DS (5) says he is going to marry this sandwich when he grows up and declared his undying love to it. DH was not so fond as it has tomato on it but it was probably (imo) the best thing at Captain Cooks!

Yet more Captain Cooks later - told you we nearly ate the whole menu.
Old 17 Jul 13, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hopefully this post will finish off our Captain Cooks Marathon...

•Pork Sandwich – The pulled pork is fantastic, so tasty... very difficult to eat this sandwich though

•Chocolate Muffins – DH choice – good he says

•Cookies – all very very good. DS and Mil loved the macademia nut one, raisin and oatmeal for me and chocolate chip for DS.

•Dole Whip – what can I say, fabulous! Have to say though I was amazed at how much dole whip people tried to get in their bowl, one night I saw a girl keep filling till it was so tall it all landed on the floor – no need really!

•There are other items we tried as well but I don’t have photos for, sorry, I will do better next time.
Pork Nachos – very good, I thought these were fab.
Chicken Cesar salad – really fresh and delicious.
Cheese Plate – Mil says this was good, it was a few long crispbreads with a decent selection of cheeses, brie, blue and a couple of hard cheeses, this was also in the fridge but you could also have it as your ddp.
Breakfast Platter – this was pretty standard, eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast sticks and potatoes.
Mickey Waffles, sausage and strawberry sauce – really too much waffle, just 1 but it was huge!

Thats Captain Cooks done, well worth a visit in my opinion... Contempo Cafe next.
Old 17 Jul 13, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Next up: the Contempo Cafe. We went here partly to be nosey and partly because Mil wanted something specific from one of the shops here, we met up here for lunch after we had been at Magic Kingdom.

•Hot Turkey Sandwich - topped with Brie, apple butter and arugala. I had spied this in another trip report and strangely enough I love rocket (I know it’s weird! ). Have to say it sounded better than it was. Nothing wrong with it at all but not for me...

•1/3 lb Angus Cheeseburger with bacon – What a shock DH choice... Just as good as the ones at Captain Cooks.

•Cheese Flatbread – Mil enjoyed this and DS had some as he was distinctly unimpressed with his own choice.
•Kids Pepperoni Pizza – DS own choice, have to see I agreed with him that it did not look the most appetising; you can see ˝ of it on his granny’s plate. He said it tasted ok but definitely a poorer kids option but he chose it himself not wanting any input from us so...

•Cinnamon Bun – This was lovely exactly the right amount of gooiness. Loved it!

•Chocolate Croissant – DH says he doesn’t really remember this so just ok he thinks.

•Sugar Cookie – Mil and DS shared and both enjoyed.

Would I return? Maybe for the Cinnamon Bun; but just standard counter service in my opinion. It was great to see the Contemporary, the location is amazing and I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a stay there but it was not as nice as some of the other hotels we nosed around in.

Next up Cosmic Rays - once I sort more photos.
Old 18 Jul 13, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Next up Cosmic Rays. Not somewhere that was on my list but there was crazy thunder and lightning in Magic Kingdom and it was close so we gave it a try. I didn’t expect to be impressed but the food was fresh and nice. We ordered 3 adult meals and shared.

•Angus Bacon Cheeseburger – Again, what a shocker... I had ˝ and it was nice.

•Turkey Sandwich – I tried this as well and I really liked it, it tasted really fresh and had way too much filling. A good choice.

•Hot Dog – Didn’t try it but DS enjoyed eating the sausage, he left the roll but that’s just him. He didn’t go hungry as he ate loads of fries and his own body weight in ketchup!

•Carrot Cake – Ds ate most of this, he loves carrot cake. He didn’t like the frosting though and asked us to scrape it off, it was pretty sweet.

•Chocolate Cake – Dh ate this and said it was pretty good and devoured it!

•Chocolate gelato – Have to say I don’t normally like chocolate ice cream but I was surprised how good it was. Poor Mil didn’t get any pudding but she didn’t mind...

Would I return? Yes, pleasantly surprised, the food was much better than I expected and the toppings bar looked good but as we were sharing I kept away from the mushrooms and onions to keep DH happy.

As for Earl of Sandwich: everyone except me ate there and they all said it was impressive. DH and Ds said their strawberry/banana smootie was the best drink of the holiday and all 3 were very happy with the food, sorry no pictures..

Will move on to table service when I post next.
Old 18 Jul 13, 04:54 AM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Yay food reports

We quite like Cosmic Ray's my biggest gripe is having to queue at all the different windows. The food at Capt Cook's looks great.

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List