Notices

Old 26 Jul 13, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post

21 years goes too fast - celebrating adulthood in Orlando Sept 2014

This may be a long pre-trip report, as I have started to plan our next trip earlier than usual, as this will be a very special trip. We will be celebrating my sons 21st and when I asked him how he would like to mark this milestone, he was clear... we must go to Florida!

Benji has grown up going to Florida, the first trip when he was 3 years old. He didn't like the characters much, but loved the parades. He he is aged 3 in 1996

Our next trip wasn't for another 10 years. Bringing him up on my own was a bit of a struggle, with the cost of childcare making Florida out of reach. However in 2006 we returned. Here he is aged 13, we stayed at All Star Music, and he was at that real in between stage. He loved going back as he could only vaguely remember the first trip. His favorite ride was Thunder Mountain railroad... he still didn't like coasters...

We were kinda bitten by the bug of Florida by the time we returned and my finances had improved from working every hour so we went back again the next year in 2007, Benji had found his identity as a bit of a punk rocker, but that didn't stop him being a little boy again once inside Disney. By this time he had got over his fear or characters and his favorite ride was the Mummy...

I decided that every year was just a bit too much, so our next trip was 2009. Benji was now almost 16, and he still loved going on holiday with his mummy! Especially if it was Florida. His favorite ride by this time was Rockin Roller Coaster. Here he is looking cool at Epcot

I cant believe how quickly those years went I was beginning to wonder how long it would be before he said that he didn't want to come with me anymore. But when I mentioned maybe we would stay at The Hard Rock Hotel for our trip in 2011, he had no doubt that he wanted to go. Of course he favorite ride was The Hulk and Manta and a few other coaster. Hmmm, yes this photo sums him up at just before his 18th...

So last year we returned to The Hard Rock, we had a brilliant time, but the biggest frustration for Benji was that he still couldn't drink in the states, with their 21 drinking laws, he could shoot a gun... but not have a shot!

So the plan for his 21st began to hatch. So here we are with the pre-trippy for the 21st Birthday. I cant believe how quickly the time has flown.

Oh and here is me... the Mum, planner and banker...

I will update this thread as I move along the planning. Thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benji Florida 1996.jpg
Views:	2388
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	49935   Click image for larger version

Name:	various 004.jpg
Views:	2406
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	49936   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0068.jpg
Views:	2387
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	49937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg
Views:	2375
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	49938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2489.jpg
Views:	2340
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	49939  

Name:	IMG_3127.jpg
Views:	2368
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	49940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarah Bird.jpg
Views:	2370
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	49941  

Edited at 10:37 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 13, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Oh and this is what Benji looks like now at 20
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Benji mohawk.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	49942  
Old 26 Jul 13, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post

So first decision, when to go... His 21st is on 2nd August, but obviously we are not limited by school holidays and it will be cheaper to go in September. The other factor is the new Harry Potter attractions, it would be lovely if these were open.

So thinking about mid September for 2 weeks... Next decision when to book
Old 29 Jul 13, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Nice report

Sure to be a fantastic celebration for Benji's 21st! We are booked up already for Sept 2014 - couldn't hold off anymore

Happy Planning
Old 31 Jul 13, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ESGT View Post
Nice report

Sure to be a fantastic celebration for Benji's 21st! We are booked up already for Sept 2014 - couldn't hold off anymore

Happy Planning
Thanks, I am still trying to work out whether to book now through Virgin Holidays or wait and do DIY. I have done it both ways before, and sometimes it works cheaper both ways.

I have been checking prices and we'll fly PE and stay at HRH. VH sale is on right now although I'm not sure the price will change given the dates I'm going for
Old 2 Oct 13, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post

I haven't updated this pre-trippie for a while, so following a false start on a last minute Christmas trip, I am now fully focused on planning this 21st birthday holiday.

So we have now decided to go for 21 nights... A night for each year my son has lived. The plan is to stay at Disney for a week. We have stayed at Yacht club before and loved it. Just checked the price and it's around £400 more than Beach Club, which seems mad! So it might be beach club this time. Then 2 weeks at HRH, again the madness is 2 weeks there is almost the same as a week at Disney ( but we should get DDP so I guess that covers the difference) I won't book the hotels till I've sorted flights, which I still have a months wait on.

Looking forward to planning this now
Old 2 Oct 13, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
LaurenYorkshir
Imagineer

What a brilliant start ! I really enjoyed reading about your trip last year so this is going on my one to watch list xx

LaurenYorkshir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 13, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post

And... we're booked

So 21 nights
7 at Beach Club + Dining plan & tickets
14 at Hard Rock Hotel
Premium Economy Flights, Car and V Room

So excited now and time to start planning in detail

Yeeeha!
Old 26 Oct 13, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
What a way to celebrate your sons 21st
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 13, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post

So now I have booked the countdown has begun. I made this calendar, and even though its just me and my son going (both adults) there are rituals that must be followed. We have always made a wall calendar every trip, but this must be the longest yet with 10 months to go. Still we'll be ticking off the days and know how times fly.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	51873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disney calendar.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	51876  

Edited at 12:44 PM.