Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 28 Jul 13, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

It didn't go as planned!LV,Zion and GC-Day before

Saturday 6th July 2013

Me (Wendy) DH (John) DS1 Glen 20, DS2 Ashley 17

It started well over 12 months ago initially booking the holiday as an excuse for our 30th Wedding Anniversary (which was last September!). We couldn't go last year as Glen was starting at University, Ashley at college, we had a new central heating system installed and we helped Glen buy a car and insurance, so all in all a quite expensive time. I had taken on a 2nd part time job last year to help with all the extras so have been working 7 days a week for the last 12 months. I wanted it to be something really special as I suspected it might be the last time Glen comes with us. He's already had 2 holidays with friends (Corfu and Great Yarmouth) and 1 with his girlfriend in Tunisia so family holidays may be a thing of the past now. He certainly doesn't come with us in this country in our folding camper! Right that's us. We also have 2 beautiful moggies Polly and Dolly (sisters, 2 years old), they had had their booster injections the week before ready for their stay at the cattery - all well and good till the Wednesday before I had noticed Dolly limping and yelping when I touched her back leg. Another trip to the vets to find she had had a thorn stuck in her pad and it had gone nasty. Anti biotics administered and anti inflammatories prescribed she was jumping about almost normally by the time we got home - relief!

Dolly

Polly ready to jump in her travel box to the cattery

Just having a quick play before leaving

I don't quite know how to put this without is sounding awful but plans started to change when the poor cast member in Ka died on stage the week before we went. We received an e mail stating the show had been cancelled temporarily and we would be kept informed. So the Saturday morning arrived and while John was at work (postman) the boys and I took our girls Polly and Dolly to the cattery for their hols. They have been a number of times before but the longest they had stayed there before was only 8 days, this time it was for 18 days so had a lovely long cuddle with them and they settled in without delay.

Back home we had a bit of lunch and I watered the garden. In laws were looking after the place for us but very hot weather was forecast and I knew it would probably be Monday before they came around and I had to keep myself busy as it could be another couple of hours before John came home and I was just wanting to leave.

I had booked Manchester Meet and Greet £56 months ago as we had originally planned to drive up on that morning but at the last minute had decided to go up and stay the night. Had looked at the Radisson where we have stayed previously but too expensive. Ended up with a little B&B in the village of Ashley called Sugar Brook Farm. £50 for each room. Boys had a twin ours a double. It looked really nice on Trip Advisor and their web site. The owner had said she was out till after 6pm so if we wanted to arrive earlier to give them a ring. We had said we would stop somewhere to eat and arrive after then so not to worry, as it was we arrived at 5.30pm, there was no one around so we rang the number they had given us and the husband came and let us in.

Had a quick look around the farmyard while we were waiting.

He apologised for the state of the place as they were having renovations done. He opened the hallway door for us to find paint pots, lots of dust and a piano blocking the hallway. OMG was I ready to walk out - what a welcome. We were shown up a dusty carpeted staircase to the rooms. Lads room was ready and lovely.

Ours on the other hand had used bedding and towels dumped on the floor and a dirty bathroom. He apologised again saying his wife was out with their sons at a birthday party. Fair enough, family time is important but they knew we were coming and if they had had time to semi - strip a room after one lot of guests departed couldn't they have just got it ready, they knew when to expect us! Wasn't happy. Hung around in the lads room for a while. Had a soak in the bath while Glen watching Grand Prix qualifying till 7pm We heard the wife return (well we heard their children run up the stairs shouting and arguing - oh this is going to be a fun stay!). We left to find a place for a meal. First place we went in was a bit dodgy looking and every head in the place turned to look at us as though we were from another planet! Were not made to feel welcome so we turned around and went back out to a place called The Greyhound. Had to wait an age for our meals £10.95 for my ploughmans (wasn't much to write home about either). Thoroughly fed up with things not being perfect we returned to find they had worked hard to clean up the hallway and our room was ready.

Lying in our bed we could see planes taking off and coming in to land.
The family shared our floor and we heard the children coming upto bed moaning at having to leave off watching the TV! The door to the room must have been very solid as we never heard another thing all night or when they got up in the morning. We had arranged breakfast for 7.45 and the owner had asked what time we wanted a taxi booking as the cost of accommodation included leaving our car on their premises but I explained we had already sorted car parking out so declined his offer. I have to say breakfast more than made up any other shortcomings in our stay.

When we left the husband wasn't sure how much the wife had quoted for our stay, I told him £50 a room so £100 in total, he offered to deduct some for our inconvenience but to be honest I felt so sorry for them, they looked rushed off their feet trying to do the right thing with 2 lively boys to look after at the same time as trying to run a farm and look after guests. When the husband asked where we were going he confessed to having never gone anywhere. How could we accept a reduction and have a clear conscience! No, we paid in full and said goodbye. After a wobbly start it proved to be a good place and we would go back (although still prefer the Radisson for convenience). It was only a few minutes drive to the airport where we dropped the car off, did bag drop, cleared security and went duty free shopping.

Edited at 02:34 PM.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 13, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

What a beautiful garden you have!

The rooms actually look quite nice in the pictures, but what a shame it wasn't all ready when you arrived. Glad the breakfast made up for it and actually sounds like a bit of a bargain if it included parking as well!

Looking forward to reading more
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 13, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Really looking forward to reading more Wendy! Bit of a ropey start, so I hope things are on an upward trend
Old 28 Jul 13, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Thanks for reading. No things didn't improve hence my trippie title!
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 13, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

That was good of you paying full price for the accommodation, think I'd have done the same to be honest.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 13, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
digdisney
Dibbing with Tink

digdisney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
I love that Wardrobe, I'd expect to find Narnia in there

Looking forward to the rest

8 Trips and counting
digdisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 13, 02:06 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I love your garden, that's how i'd like mine.

Sorry your trip wasn't as expected .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 13, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Great start! Gorgeous garden.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List