Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 10 Aug 13, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

It didn't go as planned!LV,Zion and GC - Move to Page

Monday 15th July 2013

Moving onto Page, Arizona today. The plan was to do a Colorado River ride and as the ones I was looking at departed from Page at about 6am, we needed to be nearby for a very early start. The boat would have taken us down to a place called Lees Ferry and we would have had to be coached back to Page BUT it either meant driving to the Grand Canyon village the same day (more or less duplicating the journey made on a coach) or staying a 2nd night in Page which would eat into valuable holiday days. I had put our names down on a waiting list to be contacted about available places on a boat months and months ago but they never got back to me. Then one of the roads we were due to drive along to Grand Canyon subsided and a 45 mile detour was added to our journey so we decided to forgo the river ride - disappointed but it seemed a heck of a lot of bother. We left Zion with a heavy heart, we could have stayed much longer. The journey from Zion to Page - 115 miles.

The animals have got no road sense

This was a viewpoint for the hillside which was called The Checkerboard.

We climbed out of the valley, the top was fairly flat but out of nowhere stood this mound

After an uneventful few miles we arrived at Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell. Stopped for a break and look around.

This is a poster available in the shop but as I couldn't get a photo of a view like this was cheeky and took a pic of the poster instead!

The heat was draining what little energy I had and was glad to get back to the car and move onto the hotel. Courtyard by Marriott at Page. We had forgotten to alter our watches, thinking it was 2pm and we'd probably be able to check in we took a chance and went to reception to find no-one around. John shouted and a grumpy receptionist came out from the office at the back obviously eating (must be lunch break). She told us as it was only 1pm we were far too early and no rooms were ready - great. The others were ready for lunch so we went to find somewhere. Just a few minutes away we found a Denny's, we've never been to one before but I've read many reports on the Dibb about the place so we decided to try it out. There were booths with lovely views out of the windows but we were shown to a booth along the opposite wall. John asked if we could sit over by the windows to be told no as the tables hadn't been cleaned yet. Served drinks, well 3 of us were Ashley ordered hot chocolate which we had to chase up, John got up out of his seat as no servers were around, approached the counter and got shouted at 'I'm doing it now' before he had even said anything. Food for the 3 of them came missing broccoli on Glen's meal and gravy on Ashley's. I had opted for a cup of soup with bread, the bread never did come. We had to ask for drink top ups. When they were brought, John said 'the service here isn't very good is it?' to which the waitress just laughed, 'nothing to laugh about' was his response. We ordered dessert which is unusual for us, this time we were surprised to see the same waitress who previously shouted at John actually smiling at us and placing the food down instead of dumping it and rushing off. It was obvious they were run off their feet and we felt a bit sorry for them and we still left a generous tip. They weren't going to get one originally!

I felt lightheaded when I came out and staggered back to the car hoping the room was ready. It was. We were only on the 2nd floor but the lift was so slow (sure we climbed quicker up to the high floors in the Las Vegas hotels quicker than this) but we finally got to the room and I just collapsed into bed till 8pm. Out like a light. Don't know what the others did but they were very quiet doing it. Think the lads went for a swim. We had wanted to go and see The Horseshoe Bend this evening but that didn't happen as it was getting dark when I finally woke up and decided to do it on the way leaving Page tomorrow. We nipped out and found a local supermarket to get some drinks and a bit of supper and found some tummy settlers for me. Back at the hotel we had a bit of supper and settled down for the night. Ashley wanted to sleep on the floor as the beds looked a bit tiny and Glen is a terrible fidget. It turned out to be for the best because at 2am Glen started being sick and every 20-30 minutes he was throwing up and complaining of his stomach hurting him. I'm so glad I'd slept earlier as I didn't get anymore that night.

Edited at 07:03 PM.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 13, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

Nothing worse than being sick in a hotel room. Been there several times. Hope it didnt put you off.

We stayed here too (twice). We like the hotel and used it as a base for two nights while we went on a boat trip, explored the workings of the dam and did a few hikes. We also found it a nice place to recharge.

We only ate at the hotel as we found the food good. We did find a smashing supermarket, bit like a mix of Walmart and Publix to replenish our supplies.

We went the long way around from Page to the Grand Canyon so it took two days. Went to Canyon de Chey, Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. The other time we did the circle in the other direction so went to Monument Valley and Moab.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 13, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by paw View Post
Nothing worse than being sick in a hotel room. Been there several times. Hope it didnt put you off.
Just flipping annoying that you only have 2 weeks in which to do it all and you have to give into laying in bed. Poor you - several times, how awful for you.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 13, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We've also been there so sorry for you
Old 10 Aug 13, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

I really hope the sickness passes quickly for you all Another one, who has been there, done that, be it me, the kids or all of us
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 13, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Being ill on holiday is the worst, i got food poisoning twice once in Tenerife which ruined 3 days and then from TGI's at Crossroads in Orlando and that was two days wasted.

I can't though for the life of me remember its name but Walgreens' sell a medicine to stop you being sick, i bought some for my DD a few years back in Daytona and it worked really quickly, and again on my friend who was violently ill..

The views in your pics are amazing :-)
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 13, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
digdisney
Dibbing with Tink

digdisney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Oh dear! what a terrible shame! its not nice being ill x

That dam looks a bit scary

8 Trips and counting
digdisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 13, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Being ill on holiday is the worst, i got food poisoning twice once in Tenerife which ruined 3 days and then from TGI's at Crossroads in Orlando and that was two days wasted.

I can't though for the life of me remember its name but Walgreens' sell a medicine to stop you being sick, i bought some for my DD a few years back in Daytona and it worked really quickly, and again on my friend who was violently ill..

The views in your pics are amazing :-)
I was sick after a meal at Lucky Jims at Crossroads too, got Pepto Bismol and now swear by it, still not nice being sick in a hotel room though.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 13, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
I was sick after a meal at Lucky Jims at Crossroads too, got Pepto Bismol and now swear by it, still not nice being sick in a hotel room though.
Going to make a note of that as we never want to experience anything like it again.
Old 19 Aug 13, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post

You have my sympathy! Spent the last 4 days of my Egypt holiday ill in bed on a drip, returned home to find my kidneys had failed due to contracting E-coli! Nothing worse than being sick on holiday.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List