Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 27 Aug 13, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

It didn't go as planned!LV,Zion and GC - Going home day

Sunday 21st July 2013

After what seemed like a very long holiday (that's the beauty of moving around a lot, seems like lots of holidays all in one go) time to go home. We didn't have to check out until 4pm so had a slow, lazy morning packing. Left the luggage in the room while we caught the hotel shuttle bus to Caesar's Palace so we could visit the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. I can't remember what we ordered but I do know we had the Red Velvet Cheesecake for dessert. We shared 1 portion between us so we wouldn't have any left, can't take a doggy bag with us to the airport.

We didn't explore the Forum Shops very well on our last visit as we came across this area we hadn't seen before.

We caught the shuttle bus back to the Trump and freshened up in our room before catching a taxi to the airport. Checked in our luggage at a desk outside the main terminal and went inside to clear security. Goodness knows where the family in front of us were going but the one bag on board rule didn't apply to them, the boy had an x box 360, the father, laptop, small suitcase and a rucksack, the mother had goodness knows how many bags - blimey - they were going to take up some serious overhead locker space. I had to be frisked as I had a dodgy looking area on my left shoulder Why do they make you feel so guilty and speak so rudely to you? I know they have an important job to do but some people are just so unpleasant! Went and had a drink, Ashley found an area where you can charge up your electrical items, so we did that until boarding. Every one was on board by 5pm for a 5.35pm take off, the captain said as all 271 passengers and crew were on board he was going to try for an early slot. 45 minutes later we were still in the same place. Eventually we pulled back from the terminal and then ground to a halt. Sat there for what seemed like forever, to be told there was a problem with the aircraft and we were returning to the terminal for an engineer to look at it. Sat there a bit longer before they started taking off things in the hold. Crew came around with water and eventually at 7pm (after 2 hours of being on the aircraft and going nowhere) the captain came back on and said they had taken off 10 tons of fruit as there was a problem with it. Wish he'd said that to begin with, I was worrying about flying with a dodgy aeroplane! We eventually took off and flew straight over the strip and the Trump hotel we had just left.

The return journey wasn't too bad, we had managed to doze a bit, landed about 11.30am Monday morning, Ashley throwing up yet again on landing. Picked up luggage quite quickly and went to find our car. Our poor old RAV4 is over 12 years old now and a bit tatty compared to the hire car we had, I keep looking at replacing it with a Kia Sportage but have decided I'd rather have a tatty looking car which gets us from A to B very well and have my USA holidays instead! The roads coming out of the airport were manic. Mad, mad drivers. We were home!

After our previous trips so meticulously planned (and taken without hiccups) this trip had proved so many things can (and do) go wrong. Some days were really quite horrendous and the heat was so draining especially when we hadn't been eating well to keep up our strength. Las Vegas was certainly an experience and we are glad we've been but we won't be returning in a hurry, it's just not for us. Zion and the Grand Canyon were more our thing so with that in mind the planning will now start for a future trip to San Francisco and Yosemite. Thank you so much for taking the time to share our memories and for the lovely comments (and in the case of illness - sympathy).
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 13, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Thanks for posting, I have loved reading your trip report.
Its given me some great ideas for the future.
Old 27 Aug 13, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Have really enjoyed your report! You certainly had an eventful holiday thanks for posting
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 13, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Lovely report, thank you. Like you, I'm not keen on returning to Vegas especially in the heat. Looks like we will be doing as swap as we just did SF and Yosemite, but I really like the look of Zion from your report!
Old 27 Aug 13, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
thanks for sharing, really enjoyed reading your trippy Shame about all the illness but you still seemed to have a great time. The grand canyon/zion photos were stunning.

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 13, 05:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Loved your report, think we too will give Vegas a miss until DS is 21, we have promised to bring him back then!
Love it but will have done all we wanted to do

Loved Zion as much if not more second time around and our little hotel great memories. North rim GC yes yes, and Monument valley Wow.

So sorry about all your illnesses but glad you still managed to have a great time.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 13, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Thanks for sharing makes me excited about my upcoming trip.

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 13, 03:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

That was an up and down trip! Being I'll on holiday is horrible?

I feel the same about doing without for the sake of my US holidays.

Thanks for sharing, I have enjoyed your holiday
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 13, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Really loved your report It has helped with my pining for vegas . Funnily enough, It didn't actually come through that it wasn't for you-you really made the most of everything. I'm another one that makes do for my holidays, as you really cannot put a price on these experiences
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 13, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Thank you all for reading my ramblings. I really don't like to admit it wasn't the best holiday we'd had, seems so ungrateful. I've spent many years wanting to visit the USA, its always been a dream to see as much of the country as I can while able to afford to do it. There are bound to be places that we enjoy more than others. We are returning to WDW November next year for Christmas decorations etc and planning for San Fran/Yosemite 2015/6 depending on finances!
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List