Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Summer at the Sequoia - Day 2

Previously: Day 1

Day Two - Wednesday 21st August 2013 - Disneyland Park

It was another early start today. The good folk here on the Dibb had recommended getting to the continental buffet breakfast early and so we rolled up just after 7am. And it's a good job we did; once we'd stuffed ourselves with croissants and pain au chocolat the queue outside the restaurant was very long and snaking past the stairs.

That put us off getting to breakfast later, although on subsequent days the queue outside the restaurant was never as long again.

On the way back to our room, Hannah met good ol' Goofy.

Then it was off to Disneyland Park to make good use of our Extra Magic Hours. We arrived at the entrance (head to the far right during EMH) at about 8:30am.

DLP was still celebrating it's twinkly 20th anniversary - just like I'm still celebrating my 40th birthday. Hence, why Dreams was still being shown at the park's closing time. Which we planned to see (much) later in the day.

First things first though - the morning walk down Main Street:

Only a few rides were open during EMH. We headed into Tomorrowland - erm, I mean Discoveryland - and joined the short-ish queue for blurry Buzz Lightyear's Lazer Blast.

I got the highest score. Of course. This ride is as fabulous as the version in Orlando, perhaps even slightly better.

Even though there were no offsite guests in the park yet, it still seemed busy. Mainly because half of the onsite guests were in Tom... Discoveryland. And there were probably tens of thousands of onsite guests.

Having said that, the queue for Space Mountain was only 15 minutes long, so I decided to try it out whilst Michelle and Hannah waited outside.

This is definitely different to Orlando's version of Space Mountain. Better, I'd say. Not entirely sure about the "blast off" at the beginning but otherwise it's less jerky whilst being more thrilling.

Other than the Orbitron (which had a long queue) nothing else was open in this area. We decided to explore the castle instead.

I love this version of the castle and the fact that you can explore the Sleeping Beauty rooms upstairs and the dragon underneath. Here's a view of the wonderful stained glass inside the castle:

And you can see all across Fantasyland from here too:

Descending from the castle, we had a go on the Snow White and Pinocchio rides before the masses of offsite guests stormed the park. The Peter Pan ride was also nearby. Now, we've never managed to ride this at Walt Disney World as the queue has always been far too long. So, we had to do this here whilst the queue wasn't too humongous.

Well, we managed to make it half way around Neverland into the dark part with starry lights below us before the ride came to a complete stop. A few moments later all of the lights came on. There were some announcements about a technical problem and a CM came over to tell us (in French and English) to stay sat down and wait where we were. It's not like we had any choice.

After what seemed like ages, the lights eventually switched off and the ride began moving again...

...for about 4 or 5 metres before coming to another grinding halt.

We continued to sit there hanging about 12 feet above the ground for a while wondering what was going on. Finally, a couple of CMs found us and told us we'd have to climb down. They manoeuvred a set of steps to the side of the ride vehicle and we all clambered out and then walked through the rest of the Peter Pan ride on foot.

They offered us fastpasses to use on Peter Pan's Flight later in the day but, to be honest, the whole experience put us off going on it again.

Instead, we wandered into Adventureland next door and obtained a fastpass for this little ride:

Our experience on Peter Pan's Flight hadn't put us off that much. Before using that fastpass though, we joined the standby queue.

It was Hannah's first looping rollercoaster. She's been on Air at Alton Towers but she doesn't call that a looping coaster. It's a great ride, although the restraints really hurt your shoulders.

Whilst waiting for the fastpass time to roll around, we explored the excellent Adventure Isle nearby.

It's a fantastic maze-like area full of lots of nooks and crannies to examine. Like Skull Rock:

At Big Thunder Mountain, the standby queue was far too long so we collected our second fastpass of the day. This was for 8pm that evening - and it was only around 2pm when we collected it.

Strolling back to the central hub we decided to go back to our hotel for a rest (or a swim). So, out we went via the Liberty Arcade passageway at the back of Main Street.

(hmm, I don't remember seeing a man with one leg hopping down the arcade)

Hannah and Michelle enjoyed a swim at the Sequoia Lodge pool (complete with waterslide) whilst I read my book. Plus we all had a little snooze.

We then planned on eating at the Pizza Planet buffet restaurant back in Disneyland Park. However, when we got there we discovered it was closed. It was also closed on the other days we tried eating there as well. Not sure why - it's not like the park wasn't busy enough. Looking now on Trip Advisor, it appears this restaurant is often closed and may be closed for good.

Instead, we ate at the nearby Cafe Hyperion.

More burgers and fries! They were actually quite tasty and the Pixar shorts running on the big screen were entertaining.

We wandered over to Phantom Manor but that appeared to be experiencing technical issues. Or had closed early. Or it was overrun with spirits or something.

After riding on Big Thunder Mountain with our fastpasses, Pirates of the Caribbean, it's a Small World and a few other rides in Fantasyland, they started announcing that Fantasyland was closing soon to prepare for Dreams later. This was at about 9pm.

We did a few more rides here before hustling out of Fantasyland. However, Adventureland was roped off and we couldn't get into Frontierland either. Instead, like most of the rest of the guests, we were herded into the Central Hub and Main Street. This was just after 10pm so we had an hour to wait.

It took an incredible 35 minutes to buy some coffees and a brownie at Casey's Corner. Everyone seemed to want something from here. Then we sat on the short wall just outside Casey's Corner waiting for Dreams to start.

Of course, just before it did a bunch of people stood in front of us partially blocking our view. Typical.

Dreams was spectacular but the ridiculous crowds and the limited view spoiled it somewhat. It's like going to the cinema to see your favourite movie but finding the place packed with tall people all stood in front of you. I'm afraid my phone camera wasn't that good in the reduced light conditions - so no photos.

Once Dreams was done, we joined the throng heading up Main Street and out of the park. By the time we were back at our room and ready for bed it had gone midnight! And we had to be up in time for the 7am breakfast slot the next day.

Next: Day 3

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 07:30 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 13, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Another great day! You got loads done!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 13, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Reading along.
Lol my lot would never be up for that breakfast slot never mind after a midnight bedtime
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 13, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by twindisney View Post
Reading along.
Lol my lot would never be up for that breakfast slot never mind after a midnight bedtime
Actually, it was a bit tiring getting up at 6:30am or so every day just to beat the breakfast rush. That, and the crowds, were why we didn't attempt Dreams again.

As to doing a lot, we spent around 10 hours in the park that day (with a 3 or 4 hour gap in the middle). So we had plenty of time to do stuff.

Thanks for reading!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 13, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We always hit Fantasyland 8am and Peter Pan is a walk-on then. Sorry you had problems with it.

Our EMH routine is Peter Pan, Teacups, Carousel, Buzz, Space Mountain (not me!) and then a nice sit down and a coffee!

'Fast' service restaurants in France are usually anything but. We tend to stick to TS where the food is much better bang for your buck.

Dreams is essential too (saw it every night) but we have always done the meal package with reserved viewing, so always had a decent view. Sadly they don't offer that any more.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 13, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Unfortunately, I don't think Peter Pan opened until 10am. There was a line outside the roped-off queue which we joined.

Other than on the first day with Blockbuster cafe, we didn't have any problems with the fast food eateries. It was no worse than Florida (i.e. stupidly busy at lunchtime but otherwise fine).

As for Dreams, we couldn't have managed staying up late to see it every night plus getting up early to get to breakfast early and get to EMH. The holiday was tiring enough as it was with all the walking, the heat, the early-ish mornings, etc. It might be more doable in the winter when the closing time is earlier, I assume?
(TBH, its a better experience watching it on video at home).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 29 Aug 13, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think Peter Pan opened until 10am. There was a line outside the roped-off queue which we joined.
Actually, I think I'm getting confused with the Pinocchio ride. I think Peter Pan may well have been open before 10am.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 31 Aug 13, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymad42013
Excited about Disney

Brilliant report. Don't think we'll be going on Peter Pans Flight when we go, even though that isn't until March - don't fancy being stuck and having to climb down lol
Disney Caribbean Beach Honeymoon Sept 2003, Disney Caribbean Beach March 2005, Port Orleans Riverside Oct 2006, Port Orleans Riverside Oct 2009, DLP Sequoia March 2013,DLP Sequoia Lodge New Year 2015-2016,WDW POR Aug 2016, DLP Disneyland Hotel Castle Club New Year 2016/17, Sequoia New Year 2017/2018, Cheyenne Aug 2019, Sequoia New Year 2019/20
disneymad42013 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 13, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sorry you encountered so many tech issues. Was it Indiana that you felt had painful shoulder restraints?
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 13, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Sorry you encountered so many tech issues. Was it Indiana that you felt had painful shoulder restraints?
Yep, the restraints on Indiana caused small bruises on my shoulders.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~