Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 Mar 14, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

50 Shades of Grump: Day 10 - Move to Villas at Wilderness Lodge

Day 10 – 6th Sep – Fifty Shades of Grump – Move to Villas at Wilderness Lodge
Shaun (52) – Grumpy old man – moderatrix / geriatrix
Alison (47) – Chief planner, long suffering wife of grumpy old man – moderatrix / arbitratrix
Alexandra (20) – isittimeforatwix?
Laura (18) – creatrix

Link to trip report index:

Here

We were all up at a reasonable time, packed and breakfasted on the balcony with our last views out over the sea.

We made up some lunch for later to have by the pool (rolls, crisps etc) before we headed back to Disney.

We took the bags down to the car and loaded them in before heading back to the hotel lobby. Nearly forgot to send my mum a postcard so quickly dashed that off even though knowing how the post is we’d probably beat it home (and we did!).

We spent some time walking along the beach, dodging the pesky critters along the edge of the sea before going back to the pool area. We had a final swim in the pool, ate lunch and nursed our sunburn apart from Laura who has somehow inherited skin that doesn’t burn (don’t know where from!). I’m sure she’s the milkman’s child! Not wanting to leave we made a move at about 2pm with shouts of “Goodbye Porpoise Spit” (See Muriel’s wedding for info) – a bit of an in joke).

Headed back to Orlando and yay! We got the sat nav working on the phone. This was very good but took us well off the beaten track and though some local neighborhoods which was interesting.

The sky darkened and then we found ourselves in the middle of a massive typical Florida downpour. Roads were flooding and visibility was down to a few feet, very scary!

We arrived “home” at VWL at 4pm and checked in. We were allocated room 5537 (a two bedroom villa) and were very pleased with this room. Just what we wanted, high floor, near to the end of the corridor which means low noise and a view overlooking Bay Lake – Bliss!

In my mind there’s still a minor struggle as to whether BCV should have been our home resort but there’s still something very magic and special about this place that just about edges it.

The rain continued to hammer down so we just unpack and get some washing going and relax around the resort for a while.

Dinner tonight was at Sweet Tomatoes, Downtown Disney, only $34 with a voucher. I remember back in the day, going to Sweet Tomatoes just off I Drive when it very first opened and being greeted by the manager / franchisee. He was very enthusiastic and explained how it all worked and asked us to spread the word if we enjoyed which we did.

The food didn’t fail to disappoint and good to see just how busy this place was in amongst the pizza and burger joints.

We drove back to VWL to drop the car off but being distracted by chatting I took the wrong turn at Crossroads and then had a blank on how to get back so it ended up being a bit of a mystery tour but hey ho.

Alison and girls got the bus to Downtown Disney (she didn’t want to drive due to parking problems at DD due to construction works and parking restrictions) while I stayed back in the room to type up my notes and have a beer etc. I did wander down to the dock area to watch EWP go by, glad that they continue to do this although a bit cheesy.

Alison: We had a lovely wander round the shops just soaking up the atmosphere. We bought a few bits and pieces – gifts for friends etc, but nothing too expensive.

We got the bus back which took almost as long as going – about 40 minutes. It always seems longer at night when you can’t see much!

We all crashed by midnight, ready for our last few days.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 14, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Love your picture of the lobby, it's just spectacular. Can't wait to visit on day, my boyfriend would love it.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 14, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
batleyboy26
Imagineer

Would love to stay there some day (lottery win for us I think).

How horrendous driving in that rain - terrifies the living daylights out of me.
1991 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa;1992 - Hawaiian Econolodge; 1993 - DLP, Sequoia Lodge; 1998 - DLP - Cheyenne; 2000 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa; 2004 - Oak Plantation Resort; 2006 - Holiday Inn Sunspree; 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 - Bahama Bay
batleyboy26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 14, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

That rain looks horrendous.
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 14, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Jc5415
Trading Disney Pins

Horrible driving in that rain!
Jc5415 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 14, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Really enjoying reading your trip report, all the hotels look lovely !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 14, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not nice driving in rain like that
Old 25 Mar 14, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Your photos of VWL are amazing! I'm staying here in May for 5 nights and I cannot wait!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 14, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
anniebee65
Imagineer

Love WL. That Lobby!
anniebee65 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 14, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Eeek scary drive in that rain!

WL looks so lovely! I love the wooden decor!

Nice chilled day again, really enjoying these
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List