Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 28 Mar 14, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

The July/Aug 2013 American Pye Trip Report -Day 12–Thurs 1st Aug – Blizzard Beach & a mini Dibb meet

Trip Index here

Day 11 here

Day 12 – Thursday 1st August – Blizzard Beach/A mini Dibb meet/ Bahama Breeze

Not long after we booked this holiday I’d caught a thread on the Dibb where someone had asked what the Tuscany Villa area was like. A couple of people who had stayed there previously had posted saying how lovely it was and how much they had liked it. Another couple of people though had said that they wouldn’t stay there because it wasn’t a gated community and they were worried about break-ins and security. Me being me flew into a mad panic thinking that we we’re going to be in an unsafe area and posted on the thread when a lovely lady called Sharon (sanshal on here) posted again saying it was lovely and they were staying there again in 2013 because they had liked it so much the year before. She offered to email me some pic they had from there last holiday so I could get a feel for the place and we became friends on Facebook. It turned out that we were going to be there at the same time but as our villa was allocation on arrival we weren’t completely sure which part of Tuscany we would be in until we got there. Sharon and I kept in touch over Facebook and said that if our itineraries would allow we would try and meet up. We ended up with villas on the same street! But missed each other for the whole holiday until we arranged to meet up at Blizzard Beach.

Our change of plan earlier in the holiday worked out really well so we could meet up with Sharon, her husband Steve and their son Jordan today. We’d messaged each other that morning and agreed to set up camp at Ski Patrol and hope that we could find each other.

So we were up at 7am and arrived at Blizzard Beach for 8:50am. I’ve got to say that this was the first time all holiday that I could have done with staying in bed a bit longer! I don’t know whether the pace of the holiday had finally got me, I was coming down with something or I was just tired but I was not feeling my best that day at all! But Adam and the kids were really looking forward to Blizzard Beach and we were all looking forward to meeting Sharon and her family so I put a brave face on it and off we went!

The car park was almost empty when we arrived and once we got through the gates at 9am we pretty much had the pick of the park. We set up at Ski Patrol so Sharon could find us later (she’s said they would probably be arriving mid-morning) and headed straight for Teamboat Springs. I would have been a walk on had it not broken down just as we were about to go on! There was some problem with the conveyer belt system that pulls the giant rings up to the top but we were on after about a 10min wait. It was great! Way better than the family raft ride at Typhoon Lagoon and one that we all really, really enjoy.

Adam and Jack were now both desperate to go on Summit Plummet. Jack had been waiting 2 years to go on this slide (he was too small last time but having watched Adam do it he really wanted a go!). He was hopping from foot to foot in anticipation! I’d spent months making sure he knew exactly what he was letting himself in for, we’d watched numerous YouTube videos and everything but nothing would put him off – the child has no fear! I was feeling sick at the thought (either that or I really wasn’t well that day!)

Anna decided that she wanted to do everything in the Ski Patrol area while we waited for them so off we went after agreeing that we would try and see when they were getting close to the front of the queue so we could go to the bottom and watch them come down.
Anna had a great go on everything and we got a couple of really good photopass pics

I was feeling so anxious the whole time though and kept my eye on the front of the SP queue. We’d spotted them a couple of times as the queue wound up the wodden steps and waved but it’s hard to see from so far away with the blazing sun in your eyes! They waited for about 20mins and I’d seen them get close to the front so Anna and I headed over to the end of the slide just as Jack was coming down. How he had the guts to do that at 7years old I will never know, but he did! And he was absolutely beaming when he got off Adam was next and did not look as happy when he got off – haha! They both loved it though and the only disappointing thing was that there wasn’t a Photopass Photographer at the bottom – probably because we were so early, but it’s a shame because we have such an excellent picture of Adam on it in 2011 and I really wanted one of Jack.

We went back to the loungers and had a quick drink and a look around for Sharon and family but they hadn’t arrived yet so the kids decided that we’d go back on Ski Patrol so Jack could have a go this time and Anna did it all over again.

Next up was the zipwire

The kids were desperate to do Teamboat Springs again so off we went. The park was still pretty empty at this point so it was a walk on again. Afterwards we got onto the Lazy River and floated about on there for a bit. I don’t think that it’s as good as the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon – it’s too shallow here but we all still had fun.

We headed back to base and Sharon had arrived! It was lovely to finally meet each other and we had a quick chat about our holidays so far and the kids really warmed to her straight away so Anna (who will talk for England given the chance!) told her everything she needed to know about what we’d done at Blizzard Beach that morning! After 10-15mins though the kids were desperate to get back into the water. Sharon’s husband Steve and her son Jordan were of on a ride somewhere so we agreed to catch up again later.

Next up was the toboggan race ride thing (no idea what it’s called!) As I explained the day we went to Typhoon Lagoon I am not a big fan of water parks and water in general so going on rides like this is a big deal for me. I really have to suck it up and be brave for the kids but it’s not something I enjoy, that along with the fact that I wasn’t feeling too stella that day was making for a nervous Sarah! All I knew about this ride was that you had a mat and went down it, what I didn’t realise until we got to the top was that you lay down on your stomach on the mats and went down head first! It was too late to back out though and the kids really wanted me to do it so on we went. And it actually wasn’t that bad – can’t say I loved it but it wasn’t awful either

We bobbed around the lazy river to the wave pool and had splash around in there but I really wasn’t feeling too good and thought eating some lunch might make me feel better so we headed to Lottawatta Lodge for lunch. Sharon was there too so we had a good chat in the LONG queue! The park was really filling up now and getting pretty busy. We ate fairly quickly (and I can’t find the receipt so can’t tell you how much it all was but I know we shared burgers and fries!) but I didn’t feel much better

After we’d eaten Anna asked Sharon if they would like to go on the family raft ride with us Anna loves meeting new people, she’s a real social butterfly so was best buds with Sharon and family by then Unfortunately the family raft ride only takes 6 people and there were 7 of us Steve kindly offered to wait behind and the rest of us went on. Sharon and I had a really good chat as we walked and waited to go on. They had been to Florida loads of times (and DLP!) and are real experts on the area and the parks so it was great to be able to ask a million and one questions and learn loads! Apologies now Sharon if I asked too many! Haha! We had a great time on Teamboat Springs and here’s our picture to prove it

Sharon headed back to Steve and Jordan and we went over to try the Runoff Rapids which were good but just about enough for me! I’d got a headache now and really needed a lie down so I went back to the loungers and Adam took the kids back on Ski Patrol. I dozed for about 30mins but when I woke up I didn’t feel much better so we decided that it was time to head back to the villa. It was 3pm and we’d been there since 9 so the kids were fine about heading home but I was disappointed that we hadn’t spent more time with Sharon and her family and must apologise to her (I know she’s reading!) for not being the most sociable that day!

Once we got back I had another lie down and slept properly for a bit. After I woke up and had a cup of tea I did feel a bit better. Had we been at home I would have curled up on the sofa with the kids and a dvd and called it a day but we were in Florida so that kind of wimpish behaviour would not do! Lol! So I got up, showered, sorted us all out and off we went to Bahama Breeze for an absolutely delicious meal!
I haven’t got the receipt for this one either (no idea what happed to today’s receipts when I have all the others!) which is annoying because I remember it being really good, really reasonable and just great! I know that I had coconut shrimp which was probably the nicest prawns I’ve ever had and we had a $10 voucher that made the whole meal even better value! We were seated straight away and had an excellent waitress. Just as we had arrived it had started to rain and while we were eating the heavens opened. It absolutely chucked it down, luckily for us it had been the first rain we’d seen for a week (remember my stress on Day 5 about the weather and the possible tropical storm ) I needn’t have worried – as usual! It rained loads when we were in there but we just made the most of being in a lovely restaurant, ordered deserts and coffees and had a lovely relaxing time.

But look how rough I look!

Actually we all look pretty shattered!

The rain stopped after about an hour so we left and stopped at Super Target (again!) for more Mint M&M’s and tacky gifts for the family to take home with us

I was feeling much better after the great meal but really needed an early night so the kids we’re in bed for 9pm and we weren’t long after them as we made the most of our last couple of nights in the biggest, most comfortable bed ever!

NEXT: DAY 13 – HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS/MAMA MELROSE/FANTASMIC

Edited at 08:02 PM.
SarahJayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 14, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Way-hey the day has finally arrived! It was lovely meeting the four of you, we all clicked straight away. Lovely that the kids were so chatty and no you didn't ask too many questions, or not that I noticed.

Such a shame you're doing NYC next year not this, otherwise we'd have probably been there at the same time too! California's still on the to do list though ;0)

Sure we'll get together again at some point ... Great Yarmouth or Alton Towers, take your pick lol

Sure well chat loads before DLP

Sharon xxxx

Ps ... To anybody that doesn't know me I'm the "kid sized" person with the sunglasses lol!

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 14, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
Way-hey the day has finally arrived! It was lovely meeting the four of you, we all clicked straight away. Lovely that the kids were so chatty and no you didn't ask too many questions, or not that I noticed.

Such a shame you're doing NYC next year not this, otherwise we'd have probably been there at the same time too! California's still on the to do list though ;0)

Sure we'll get together again at some point ... Great Yarmouth or Alton Towers, take your pick lol

Sure well chat loads before DLP

Sharon xxxx

Ps ... To anybody that doesn't know me I'm the "kid sized" person with the sunglasses lol!
Ah Sharon, you are lovely! I wish we were doing NYC this year too but funds won't allow that and DLP!

And another meet up would be lovely
Old 2 May 14, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

love blizzard beach. my fav Disney water park
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List